Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Vortexx's censorship edits to Transformers: Prime

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Vortexx's censorship edits to Transformers: Prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Well, this morning, Transformers: Prime made its debut on the CW's Vortexx programming block and, as expected, there were indeed censorship edits done to it.

While watching the episode, "Darkness Rising, Part 1", I only noticed three edits (one of which I expect to happen in every episode):

• The shot of Starscream pulling out his hand from Cliffjumper's chest after impaling him but before he fell over was cut.
  • Jack's line, "First rule about robot fight club is you don't talk about robot fight club," was cut.
  • Additional commercial break transitional fades were added for more breaks (this one we can expect again).
There might have been more, smaller edits, but these were the ones I caught.

EDIT (April 23, 2013): Here's a revision of the above comparison based on a re-watch of the episodes side-by-side with the uncut versions.

1. After Starscream drives his fingers into Cliffjumper, impaling him, and says, "Anymore questions?!", a shot of Cliffjumper's shocked face that pans down toward Screamer's fingers embedded in Cliff's side, which Starscream pulls out while Energon spills out of Cliff's wound onto the floor, and Cliff's knees hitting the floor before he falls completely over, were all cut out. Now, after Starscream asks "Anymore questions?!" Cliff immediately hits the floor all at once.

2. When Jack is taking an obnoxious customer's order, his line of "So that's two 'we're-not-as-funny-as-we-think-we-are' combos with a side of 'bite me!'", and the guy's response of "Haha-- What'd you say?", were cut.

3. Jack's line of "The first rule of Robot Fight Club is you don't talk about Robot Fight Club," was cut.

4. Jack's line of "What you need to understand is that I don't want a bunch of crazy talking vehicles following me around trying to get me killed!" had its "trying to get me killed" part muted, ending the sentence instead at "following me around!"

5. The new commercial break played as the Autobots were bringing the kids to the base for the first time, right after Jack asks "And why exactly are we talking her?" (in regards to Miko), to which Arcee replies "Rules."

5.5. Not an edit, but the Autobot symbol seen on the ground of the Autobots' base was the same Movie-styled one used in this episode's initial Hub airing (as seen in this image), which was changed to the more traditional styled Autobot logo in reruns and later episodes.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: Vortexx's censorship edits to Transformers: Prime

Postby cyberwuss » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:05 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Well, this morning, Transformers: Prime made its debut on the CW's Vortexx programming block and, as expected, there were indeed censorship edits done to it.

While watching the episode, "Darkness Rising, Part 1", I only noticed three edits (one of which I expect to happen in every episode):

• The shot of Starscream pulling out his hand from Cliffjumper's chest after impaling him but before he fell over was cut.
  • Jack's line, "First rule about robot fight club is you don't talk about robot fight club," was cut.
  • Additional commercial break transitional fades were added for more breaks (this one we can expect again).
There might have been more, smaller edits, but these were the ones I caught.

I already posted the ones I saw in the news thread about vortexx airing it, along with the time it aired the other day, not sure if anyone saw it, so here is what I noticed:

The starscream death blow removal.
The lack of liquid energon on the floor after cliff is lying down.
The commercial of John Cena saying how bad Megatron is!

I honestly didn't notice the one you mentioned about Jack's fight club line... the edits for commercials were expected and not worried about. The breaks on CW are shorter than on hub anyway.

EDIT:

Might not have noticed the fight club line because I was eating breakfast with family at my grandmother's house when it was on, so had like 3 other people there holding conversations at the same time.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:50 pm

cyberwuss wrote:The lack of liquid energon on the floor after cliff is lying down.
There wasn't any visible on the floor after he fell in the uncut version either. We only see some hit the floor before he falls down.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:36 pm

im not that suprized about the fight club bit i mean it was an r rated movie and vortex is a kids show block
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Episode 2 -

After Megatron slices at Terrorcon Cliffjumper, Cliffjumper stumbles for a bit and then the scene switches immediately to Megatron's "You see, Starscream," line, cutting out Cliff's body splitting in half and falling off the platform.

Jack's line of "Robots who can die," was cut.

And, as usual, more new commercial break transitional fades.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 pm

I know I'm about a week and a half behind, but here are the edits to episodes 3 and 4 that I noticed.

Episode 3 -

Right after Bulkhead yells, "Miko, look away!" everything is cut up until the close up of Miko going "Whoa." So we lost Miko's "But!", Bulkhead's "Turn your head away!", and Bulkhead disemboweling the Vehicon he was fighting.

After Starscream says, "I ask nicely one last time. The Autobot Base!" to the chained up Fowler, they cut out everything until the close up of Fowler right as he screams while being zapped by the Energon prod. So we lost his line of "Sure thing, buddy. Right after you eat my star-spangled shorts!" and Starscream holding up the Energon prod into view and crackling it for a second. He still gets obviously zapped in the edited version, though, since the actual zapping was indeed off screen in the original version.

Episode 4 -

After Optimus agrees to Ratchet's suggesting they "dissect" the Terrorcons, Optimus swings his swords around at them and drives a sword through the body of one of the zombies, getting its head caught on the blade and being raised up and detached from its body. This fancy beheading is cut.

When Bulkhead leaps onto the Nemesis, he immediately runs into a Vehicon whose head Bulkhead lobs off and sends flying as another Vehicon opens fire on Bulkhead. Bulkhead then picks up and uses the headless Vehicon as a shield and fires back at the other Vehicon, who gets hit, recovers, then opens fire again just as Bulkhead is about to land on top of him. This entire sequence is cut from right as Bulkhead leaps onto the ship and begins to run, to when the other Vehicon gets hit, recovers, and resumes shooting at him, making it look like Bulkhead was running towards this Vehicon instead of the one he beheads.

The first scene between Fowler and Starscream is trimmed down. A few shots of Fowler as Starscream walks towards Fowler and says, "My dear Agent Fowler, you do realize the Autobots have abandoned you," are cut, with the scene now beginning with Starscream simply saying, "The Autobots have abandoned you." A shot of Screamer looking at Fowler is also cut. As Starscream raises the Energon prod after threatening Fowler once more, the shot of him holding it near Fowler, Fowler weakly saying, "Please... no more. They're in.. secret government base," and Starscream's line of "Go on..." are all cut out, but part Fowler's line ("Please... no more,") IS kept intact. It's just placed over the part when Starscream begins to lift up the Energon prod before the big cut occurs and switches the scene to a close up of Fowler's face as they hear laser fire beyond the door. Then they cut out when Starscream says "Yes?", when Fowler says "In the old steel mill. Or was it under that carnival fun house?", and Starscream's angry reaction just before he drives the prod into Fowler. The driving of the prod into Fowler and him being zapped by it, however, are left COMPLETELY INTACT, and the scene plays out normally from there.

When the scene cuts back to Optimus and Ratchet fighting the zombies, immediately there is a shot of Optimus driving his sword through a zombie's torso. This is cut out.

EDIT (March 2, 2013): Here's a revision of the above comparisons based on a re-watch of the episodes side-by-side with the uncut versions.

Episode 3 -

1. Right after Bulkhead yells, "Miko, look away!" everything is cut up until the close up of Miko going "Whoa." So we lost Miko's "But!", Bulkhead's "Turn your head away!", and Bulkhead disemboweling the Vehicon he was fighting.

2. the new commercial break played after Bulkhead and Miko both as the newly-GroundBridge Jack and Raf sre spotted by a Vehicon from up on the Nemesis, right before the scene cuts back to Starscream interrogating Fowler.

3. After Starscream says, "I ask nicely one last time. The Autobot Base!" to the chained up Fowler, they cut out everything up to the close up of Fowler right as he screams while being zapped by the Energon prod. So we lost his line of "Sure thing, buddy. Right after you eat my star-spangled shorts!" and Starscream holding up the Energon prod into view and crackling it for a second. He still gets obviously zapped in the edited version, though, since the actual zapping was indeed off screen in the original version.

Episode 4 -

1. After Optimus agrees to Ratchet's suggesting they "dissect" the Terrorcons, Optimus swings his swords around at them and drives a sword through the body of one of the zombies, getting its head caught on the blade and being raised up and detached from its body. This fancy beheading is cut.

2. When Bulkhead leaps onto the Nemesis, he immediately runs into a Vehicon whose head Bulkhead lobs off and sends flying as another Vehicon opens fire on Bulkhead. Bulkhead then picks up and uses the headless Vehicon as a shield and fires back at the other Vehicon, who gets hit, recovers, then opens fire again just as Bulkhead is about to land on top of him. This entire sequence is cut from right as Bulkhead leaps onto the ship and begins to run, to when the other Vehicon gets hit, recovers, and resumes shooting at him, making it look like Bulkhead was running towards this Vehicon all along instead of the other one that he beheads.

3. The first scene between Fowler and Starscream is trimmed down. A few shots of Fowler as Starscream walks towards him and says, "My dear Agent Fowler, you do realize the Autobots have abandoned you," are cut, with the scene now beginning with Starscream simply saying, "The Autobots have abandoned you." A shot of Screamer looking at Fowler is also cut. As Starscream raises the Energon prod after threatening Fowler once more, the shot of him holding it near Fowler, Fowler weakly saying, "Please... no more. They're in.. secret government base," and Starscream's line of "Go on..." are all cut out, but the "Please... no more," part of Fowler's line IS kept intact. It's just placed over the part where Starscream begins to lift up the Energon prod before the big cut occurs and then switches the scene to a close up of Fowler's face as they hear laser fire beyond the door. Then they cut out when Starscream responds with "Yes?", Fowler's answer of "In the old steel mill. Or was it under that carnival fun house?", and Starscream's angry reaction just before he drives the prod into Fowler. The driving of the prod into Fowler and him being zapped by it, however, are left COMPLETELY INTACT, and the scene plays out normally from there.

4. When the scene cuts back to Optimus and Ratchet fighting the zombies, the very first thing we see is a shot of Optimus driving his sword through a zombie's torso. This is cut out.

5. The bit of Jack saying "Miko, Raf was almost killed! This isn't a game! When are you gonna get that through your thick skull?!" and Miko responding with "Um, we were all almost killed, Jack. You, me, Raf, even them!" is all cut out.

6. The new commercial break played right after Megatron says "Explain, Starscream. Quickly."

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Unicron fan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Let's at least hope they continue to show the show uncensored on the Hub as well, as this censorship is taking away many of the points in the episodes.
Unicron fan

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Unicron fan wrote:Let's at least hope they continue to show the show uncensored on the Hub as well, as this censorship is taking away many of the points in the episodes.
Oh, the Hub shouldn't be affected by this. The only reason this show getting censored on Vortexx is due to the CW's stricter code of Business Standards and Practices. Cable networks are a lot more lax on BSnP than local broadcast networks, so they can get away with more stuff on cable than they can on basic networks. Dragon all Z Kai and Justice League Unlimited are also censored on Vortexx for this very reason, as they were aired uncut (or in DBZ Kai's case "mildly edited") on their oriignal cable networks (Cartoon Network and Boomerga for JLU, Nicktoons for DBZ Kai).

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Again, sorry I'm a few days late, but here's Episode 5 -

The short bit of Miko saying, "Yeah! If we let the Cons win, we're fragged; along with everyone else on our planet," was cut.

In the uncut version, when Optimus says, "Not even he could have survived Ground Zero," referring to Megatron's fate at the Space Bridge, Agent Fowler's voice is heard saying, "Prime!" and Optimus turns his head to look towards Fowler. The scene then switches to Fowler finishing putting on his coat and thanking the 'Bots as he leaves. In the edited version, Optimus's line is cut off at "Not even he could have survived--" with Fowler's "Prime!" being inserted over the "Ground Zero" part. Since this line of Fowler's was spoken early, they cut out the short bit of Optimus turning his head.

EDIT (March 2, 2013): Here's a revision of the above comparison based on a re-watch of the episodes side-by-side with the uncut versions.

Episode 5 -

1. The short bit of Miko saying, "Yeah! If we let the Cons win, we're fragged; along with everyone else on our planet," was cut.

2. The new commercial break played right after Arcee was shot by Megatron and began to drift away into space, before the scene changed to a shot of another part of the space bridge tearing itself apart as Optimus makes a run for it.

3. In the uncut version, after Optimus says, "Not even he could have survived Ground Zero," (referring to Megatron's fate at the Space Bridge), Agent Fowler's voice is heard saying, "Prime!" and Optimus turns his head to look towards Fowler. The scene then switches to Fowler finishing putting on his coat and thanking the 'Bots as he leaves. In the edited version, Optimus's line is cut off at "Not even he could have survived--" with Fowler's "Prime!" being inserted over the part where "Ground Zero" was originally spoken. Since this line of Fowler's was spoken early, they cut out the short bit of Optimus turning his head.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Finally got a chance to watch this morning's episode side-by-side with the uncut DVD version, allowing me to catch each and every little edit made to it. As such, here are all the edits Vortexx made to episode 6.

1. The bit of Skyquake saying "Megatron ordered me to annihilate you," to Optimus was cut.

2. Starscream's line of "When Skyquake snuff's Prime's spark, I... must bear witness," had it's first bit cut out, leaving in only the "I... must bear witness," part.

3. When Optimus slow-mo punches Skquake in the face right after saying, "Skyquake, Stay down," the exact second of his punch impacting Skyquake's face was cut and a white flash was inserted when the impact sound effect played.

4. Right after Starscream pulls out Megatron's Dark Energon shard and Megatron goes slack after struggling for a second, Starscream kicks Megatron's lifeless body and it falls downward just a bit before we switch to a close up of Screamer. The moment of the kick and beginning of the subsequent downward movement of Megatron's body was cut, all for the removal of Starscream's line of, "And this time... stay dead!"

5. The new commercial break played during the latter half of the Skyquake battle, going out from the point where Skyquake flies upward over the valley in an arc with Bumblebee riding on his jet mode's back, and coming back in right after when we see a shot of Optimus from behind that pans upward from his left arm as he says, "Agent Fowler, we require immediate assistance!"

6. The scene of Optimus saying to Bumblebee, "Had Skyquake chosen to stray from his master's path, we might not be burying him today," was cut.

And now that I can compare the episodes more thoroughly now, I may need to go back and revise my comparisons of the "Darkness Rising" episodes. But since I just watched them so recently (and I really don't like those episodes anyway), not to mention I'm missing a recording of Part 2, I may hold off on those until later on.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Next

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion