Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Optic colors

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Optic colors

Postby Wing Saber » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:18 pm

This was a post from another site that I found interesting:
ImageImage

The sort of thing I notice during an eight hour marathon of the first season of Transformers Prime.

(And yes, I know some of those screenshots are from ‘Nemesis Prime’ and ‘Triangulation.’ I just know those episodes really, really well, okay.)

The dominant lighting color of the ‘bots and ‘cons, especially the color of their optics, provides a general indication of their alignment. An indication only, of course – the character development of the show goes far more in-depth and proves much more complex than a broad, simplistic classification could encompass. But it was a fun exercise.

The Autobots all possess blue optics and fall under the ‘good’ alignment. Straightforward, stereotypical.

Yellow gets a bit more interesting, tending more towards ‘neutral’ or ‘chaotic’. Nemesis Prime falls on the chaotic end of the spectrum. Breakdown encompasses characteristics of both aspects, coming arguably as close to neutral of any of the ‘cons while alive and set up for the transition towards chaos after death.

Most of the Decepticons have red optics and fall under the ‘evil’ alignment. Again, formulaically simple.

Purple…purple goes beyond ‘evil’ and winds up somewhere around ‘sadistic’ or ‘insane’. Airachnid makes no pretenses for her behavior beyond her own twisted pleasure – no larger agenda or higher purpose drives her actions. And Megatron on dark energon possesses little in the way of a connection with reality or reason.

omg If you look at Arcee’s as well she’s got these purple/pink edges to her optics. *questions her sanity e-e*
Wing Saber

Re: Optic colors

Postby ironrod prime » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Technically optimus's are turquoise
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:45 pm

"Autobots = blue eyes" and "Decepticons = red eyes" has been a longstanding trend since the G1 cartoon. Though there have been exceptions (i.e. - G1 Swindle having purple eyes), it's a nice color coded pattern that I feel adds a nice touch.

Granted, it was mostly only used in the G1, Animated, and Prime cartoons, and to an extent in the Japanese G1 cartoons, since the Beast Era, RiD, and Unicron Trilogy cartoons all went with whatever their toys' eye colors were (usually), which weren't always blue or red.

For the Prime cartoon, here's how I've seen it:
  • Blue = Autobots
  • Red = Decepticons
  • Purple = Dark Energon/Unicron
  • Yellow = MECH

Though, the following are the exceptions:
  • Soundwave - his visor covers the entirety of where his face would be if he visibly had one, and the visor is of no specific color since it has a screen built into it.
  • Breakdown - his eyes are yellow even before MECH gets a hold of him, but since his face is already red (a la his G1 namesake), it was probably just done to better the color balance of his face and to avoid color redundancy. On a side note, Breakdown's WFC design also has yellow eyes.
  • Airachnid - her eyes are purple, but it was probably done to help enhance her color scheme. And it does look cool on her. ;)
  • Makeshift - white eyes, but we barely see him in his true form anyway, so it could have just been done with a care, knowing we wouldn't be seeing what he really looks like anyway.

Also, Predaking's eyes look to also be yellow, but the rest of the Predacon toys don't all have yellow eyes. Some have red, Ripclaw has both (yellow in beast mode, red in robot mode), Skystalker looks like his has gray/silver eyes, Dark Steel has dark-colored robot mode eyes, and I'm not even gonna get into the Go! Preds.

So, it remains to be seen what color(s) the eyes of any other Predacons who may appear in the series besides Predaking will be. But, if they all end up with yellow eyes in the cartoon, then "yellow" could instead stand for "main third faction" rather than just "MECH".

Though, some toy-only characters don't seem to follow this since Deluxe Sergeant Kup has yellow eyes, Deluxe Dead End has green eyes, and Voyager (PRID) Ultra Magnus has green eyes (his BH body toys, however, have blue eyes).
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Deluxe Sergeant Kup has yellow eyes

This one is probably the same reason as Breakdown
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Wing Saber wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Deluxe Sergeant Kup has yellow eyes

This one is probably the same reason as Breakdown
How so?

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:50 pm

He's got a silver face and with him being mostly green blue eyes would have been a nice contrast
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:10 pm

Also, his box art gives him blue eyes.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby cyberwuss » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm a bit closer to something like DOTM Megatron with sort of like G2 Laser Optimus :D
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion