Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Official Transformers: Prime Discussion Thread

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Official Transformers: Prime Discussion Thread

Postby Mechabreaker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Please use this topic to discuss the much anticipated new Transformers cartoon, Transformers: Prime.
Mechabreaker

Re: Official Transformers: Prime Discussion Thread

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:34 pm

I was gonna do this very kind of thread once the airdate came closer (and I was gonna call it an "Episode Discussion" thread). but since you went ahead and did it, thanks for saving me the effort. ;)

I am incredibly psyched about this series! From what we've seen of it so far from the images/bios/trailers/commerials/promos/etc., a lot of it looks very promising.

Particularly Arcee and Cliffjumper. Arcee is no longer just "the girl", but is now "the bad-A-double-S" (for lack of a better term :oops: ) of the team. And Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's Cliffjumper could very well be the coolest Cliffjumper ever.

Though, I'm a bit irked at how small Bulkhead is. His namesake was a pretty big guy, yet this new Bulkhead is short; standing at about the same height as Bumblebee.

I recently acquired the Transformers: Prime graphic novel that leads up to the cartoon. But due to heavy school assignments and work, I haven't gotten around to actually reading it yet. I hope to finally get into reading it ASAP and when I do, I'll give my thoughts on it here.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Mechabreaker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Sabrblade wrote:I was gonna do this very kind of thread once the airdate came closer (and I was gonna call it an "Episode Discussion" thread). but since you went ahead and did it, thanks for saving me the effort. ;)

No problem. If you still want to do it, let me know, and I'll go ahead and get rid of this thread. :)

I am incredibly psyched about this series! From what we've seen of it so far from the images/bios/trailers/commerials/promos/etc., a lot of it looks very promising.

Agreed.

Particularly Arcee and Cliffjumper. Arcee is no longer just "the girl", but is now "the bad-A-double-S" (for lack of a better term :oops: ) of the team. And Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's Cliffjumper could very well be the coolest Cliffjumper ever.

Agreed again. Loving Arcee and The Cliff so far, especially after reading the graphic novel.

Though, I'm a bit irked at how small Bulkhead is. His namesake was a pretty big guy, yet this new Bulkhead is short; standing at about the same height as Bumblebee.

Huh. Really? I didn't even notice.

I recently acquired the Transformers: Prime graphic novel that leads up to the cartoon. But due to heavy school assignments and work, I haven't gotten around to actually reading it yet. I hope to finally get into reading it ASAP and when I do, I'll give my thoughts on it here.

Possible spoilers -

I got it last week. I didn't really dig the artwork much. Also, Cliffjumper says something a little... immature while being interrogated, but I got over it. Other than that, it was great. If the show's anything like it, TF: Prime should turn out being one of my favorite TF cartoons. I just hope the humans are tolerable.
Mechabreaker

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Okay, I got around to reading the graphic novel and... it's good. It served as a fair precursor to the cartoon. It made me like the new Cliffjumper, Arcee, and Starscream even more.

Though, there are some things I gotta point out. This story seemed to indicate that this was the first time that Arcee and Cliffjumper had ever been to Earth, yet Starscream clearly stated that he had been there. Now, we know that the cartoon comes after some Movie-esque events (though not the movies themselves), so I guess it's safe to assume that these events did not involve either Arcee or Cliffjumper.

And while they're on Cybertron, Arcee and Cliffjumper have the same Robot Mode bodies that they have when they scan altmodes on Earth. Yet, these bodies differ from their WFC bodies. Could they have changed bodies at some point? And for what? Neither was vitally involved in the PS3/360/PC WFC game's story mode, so why would they change bodies? I haven't played/experienced the DS game, so I don't know what role Cliff plays in that game.

Also, one thing did puzzle/irk me: Breakdown. In WFC, he was youthful, paranoid, and fearful of his fellow Decepticons. In this comic, not only does he look nothing like his game self, but he was a hulking, brooding, giant who loved to crush his opponents and beat the living daylights out of anyone who bothered him. It's like his personality got a complete rewrite!

Aside from that, though, I'm now more than ever in great anticipation of this series. 8-)

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Mechabreaker » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:39 am

I can offer a possible explanation for their changes with Generations Megatron's bio -

MEGATRON rebuilds himself continuously. When the war first began on CYBERTRON, he constantly applied new modifications to catch the AUTOBOTS unaware and under prepared. His spies are always on the lookout for new tech that will optimize his body into the perfect war machine. He is the bleeding edge of technology on CYBERTRON, and his enemies will pay the price for not keeping up.

Maybe in this continuity it's just simply normal to change/upgrade relatively often.

As for Breakdown, tying into the theory above, perhaps he became fed up with being paranoid and fearful, and eventually upgraded himself into the brute he is now. His personality might have changed because he would probably view himself as a more powerful and feared Decepticon after said upgrade.

Again, this is all just a theory, and there's probably some things I'm overlooking.
Mechabreaker

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:30 pm

*SPOILERS*
So far, it's been a fun watch.

Hubworld was a weird mixture of lame and awesome. Lame because of the host's rather juvenile puns and behavior. Awesome because of all the stuff they showed. BotCon 2010, Comic-Con 2010, voice recording sessions, interviews, all of it was golden.

The Hub exclusive focused on G.I Joe: Renegades first. I LOVED how they gave a history of that franchise by going back the original 12-inch action figure and went through it to the ARAH cartoon and the Rise of Cobra movie. They also showed some brief clips from Sigma 6 and Resolute. The behind the scenes of Renegades was cool too. This series is gonna delve into how the Joes met and came to be who they are.

The TF: Prime part of the Hub Exclusive was like the Hubworld episode, but so much more. History with the G1 cartoon, G1 commercial clips, clips from G2/Beast Wars/Cybertron/Animated, more interviews, more voice recroding sessions, and CONCEPT ART! The whole show is gonna be a cinematic style, almost like a live action film. All in all, this show is gonna rock!

Episode 1 was... surprisingly not as awesome as I thought it would be. I guess it was due to having been spoiled by so many clips form this episodes beforehand. There was also the disappointment of there being no theme song. Though, because this is a sneak peak and the actual airdate for the series is Monday, maybe the Monday airing will have the theme song. Still, it was a decent first episode with a fair amount of action and comedy. I liked how Miko asked Bulkhead if he'd ever used a wrecking ball for a punching bag (nice little nod there).

Episode 2 was better. Welker's new Megatron voice is very cool, and actually kinda sounds like Megatron's WFC voice, which is a plus considering their shared reality (more on this later). The "Ground Bridge" was a familiar idea that seems to harken back to both RiD's Global Space Bridge and Armada's Warp Gate. We now have a confirmation that it's "Agent" Fowler (I guess "General" was a dropped concept or something).

Some points of interest are that Arcee refers to her hologram rider a "Sadie". The Eradicons can speak, but not often. The Pentagon is apparently unaware of the Transformers' existence on Earth. And, there is Earth seeded on Earth... wait, why?

Though, I gotta say that there are some continuity issues between this and Exodus/WFC. Seibertron.com was right. TF: Prime is a forced continuity with the book and game in the same way that Cybertron/Galaxy Force was retconned with the rest of its trilogy. For example, Megatron and Starscream speak of Dark Energon as though they are just now beginning to understand it, and the Autobots completely unfamiliar wit hthe substance, when both sides had become well aware of it and understood what it could do all throughout WFC/Exodus. And, Dark Eenrgon's primary ability is to reanimate the dead into mindless beastial zombies, instead of merely being a power-up with addictive and corruptive side effects. And, most of all, Megatron and Starscream act as though they've never used Dark Energon on themselves, and when Megatron tries to use it on himself, he and Starscream act as though this were the first time they (or any a living being, for that matter) has ever done so.

These episodes also do bring up some interesting questions. Why has Megatron been missing for three years? Where's Breakdown? (he was in the comic that came right before this). What happened when the Autobots came to Earth for the first time? What has been going on during the 3-year period that the Decepticons have been missing? What are these "Movie-esque" events that were said by Hasbro to have happened prior to the series? Aside from the three teens and Agent Fowler, just how much a secret is the Autobots' existence? Why hasn't Bumblebee's voice been fixed during hte 3+ years that the Autobots have been on Earth? How can Raf understad Bumblebee's "Mini-Con beeps"? And why is there Energon seeded on Earth?

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Mechabreaker » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:17 am

Prime is awesome. My third favorite TF show, right after BW and Animated.
Mechabreaker

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Looking back at the book and game, I noticed that the book called Dark Energon the "Spark of Unicron", whereas the show called it the "Blood of Unicron". Maybe there's different variations of the stuff, with the "spark" being the addictive power up in the game/book, and the "blood" being the rarer substance that turns the dead into undead.

Not to mention that the game/book illustrated Dark Energon to emanate from one's body in a ghastly, energized aura form. While the show had it emanate as a liquid goo instead. This kinda works with what I've said above, as sparks are energizing in appearance, and blood is a liquid.

Or, maybe I'm just overthinking this and it's just a discrepancy. :P

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 am

One flaw I noticed is Arcee and Bumblebee couldn't destroy 2 drones, and then in the mine they destroy at least 5 drones each. I'm also disappointed with Soundwave. but other than that it's a good show. I like how they incorporated Unicron, and that the Autobots don't win all the battles like in most shows
Wing Saber

Darkness Rising, Part 3 Discussion

Postby perceptor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:05 pm

SPOILERS BELOW...

There were no signs of Cliffjumper but references were made to the greatest Autobot-Decepticon battle ever, which apparently took place on Earth! Woah, "Darkness Rising" apparently is reference to fallen Decepticon warriors, rising from grave. Did they look familiar to you?

So, what did you think of Darkness Rising, part 3?
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion