Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

The Top 20 Greatest Japanese TF Opening Themes -*REVAMPED!*

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

The Top 20 Greatest Japanese TF Opening Themes -*REVAMPED!*

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:12 pm

NOTE: This is list is outdated, with some broken links and differing opinons that have changed since my making of this list.

Let it be known that I just LOVE the opening theme songs and title sequences of the many Japanese Transformers series. Whether they’re from a Japanese-original series like The Headmasters or Car Robots, or from a Western series dubbed into Japanese like Beast Wars or Animated, the theme songs that accompany each one are usually an epic thrill ride to experience!!!

…What?

Okay, maybe not exactly like a thrill ride, but you get my drift. ;)

Anyway, because I find all these songs to be awesome, I’ve decided to list what I consider to be the Top 20 Greatest Japanese Transformers Opening Themes. In this, I'll be counting down the 20 best songs and sequences, reviewing and analyzing what makes them so great and giving my own two cents on each one. Anyone wishing to comment on the current song(s) being discussed is welcome to join in.

Though, a quick look at the TFWiki page on the Japanese themes with reveal that there are (as of this typing) currently a total of 23 Japanese opening themes. Meaning that there will be three songs that will not be making this list. Which three in particular is for me to know and for you to guess. Because there are only three not making it, there really won’t be any room for any “Honorable Mentioning” posts to be posted. Or, if you want, you could consider the first few to be Honorable Mentionings and have the real list start further down.

So without further ado, LET’S SAY GO!
- - - - - -

Number 20
Number 19
Number 18
Number 17
Number 16
Number 15
Number 14
Number 13
Number 12
Number 11
Number 10
Number 9
Number 8
Number 7
Number 6
Number 5
Number 4
Number 3
Number 2
Number 1

The Runners Up
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: The Top 20 Greatest Japanese TF Opening Themes

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:17 pm

20. "WAR WAR! STOP IT!!"
From: Beast Wars: Super Lifeform Transformers (Beast Wars: Chō Seimeitai Transformer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bXiYrPXTqw

Many may know me to be a big fan of the Beast Era, and this song is no exception. Now, I know what you’re probably thinking: “How could this song possibly even be considered good? It’s completely ridiculous!” Well, allow me to explain.

Overall, this song is best described as “weird,” “abnormal,” “bizarre,” “awkward,” “zany,” “outlandish,” and very unfitting for the awesomeness that is the Beast Wars. To all who believe this, I ask you, “Is that all?” We must remember that the Japanese took our epic Beast Wars series and turned it into something out of a rejected Loony Tunes script. And this song, as insane as it sounds, fits in with these changes.

Still not convinced of its merits? Well, let me continue. Having listened to this song for a while, it’s grown on me. It’s a very unique song with an upbeat rhythm, the chorus is simplistic enough to grasp your attention, and it is overall an irresistibly catchy song. I mean it; this song is very contagious and will have you humming it’s chorus to no end. You may even find yourself singing “War! War! something-something Stop it!” under your breath and not even knowing. It’s that powerful. :shock:

Lastly, because of how zany this song is, I find it to be just hilarious that such an out-there song would be used as the theme song of Beast Wars! I mean, knowing how deep and hardcore that series is, you’d expect them to use some kind of hard rock or heavy metal song for its theme. But, nope! It’s a kooky rap about how war is bad. :lol: :lol:

It's like how some consider the old 1960s Adam West Batman series to be good for laughs. It's one of those "so bad it's awesome!" scenarios. :geek:

As for the sequence itself, it makes really good use of several action sequences, and the final shot of the five Maximals standing victoriously in front of the Axalon is just grand.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:37 am

Wing Saber wrote:I like this one
Oh, trust me, we'll see some great ones like that one further down the list as it continues. :D

Anyway, moving on.

19. "Love For Ever —Kimi o Mamoru Tame ni—"
From: Super Lifeform Transformers: Beast Wars Neo (Chō Seimeitai Transformer: Beast Wars Neo)

Another underrated song. This one, like the previous one, is very weird. Especially when one realizes that the lyrics translate out to talking about protecting loved ones. However, within these lyrics is a sense of passion and determination common in anime themes.

The beat is very mellow, soothing, and relaxing. It feels mostly warm and inviting; while there are also some really kick butt electric guitar moments that deviate from the song’s overall tranquil atmosphere; blending calm and cool together in a unique way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-19SZ0L_is

The first sequence is, frankly, not as impressive as it could be. I mean, it has some good shots of Big Convoy, the Gung Ho, and the other Maximals' transformations. But, there’s not enough action going on in it. There’s just too much… "standing." Nearly every shot of Big Convoy and Magmatron are of them standing still. Bo-ring!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPYLT9qzVFs

This sequence, on the hand, is the complete opposite. We’re instantly shown a shadowed Big Convoy flying through space, becoming illuminated by the nearby sun. The Gung Ho goes zooming through space in a tremendous flashing glow. Big Convoy and Magmatron confront each other in Beast Mode. The Maximals all charge forward one by one. And after Big Convoy treats us to his beautiful transformation… BOOM! Magmatron one-ups him with his own transformation surrounded by a frame of TWELVE Predacon and Blentron transformations! And if that wasn’t pretty enough, the Maximals transform all spectral-like with a gorgeous backdrop of outer space! All topped off by a fantastically executed battle between Big and Magma! 8-)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Agent X » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:25 pm

Japanese TF Animated opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVMY6SxFBmk
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:41 pm

Agent X wrote:Japanese TF Animated opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVMY6SxFBmk
Another fine pick that may show up further on in this countdown.

Next up is...

18. "TRANSFORMER 2010"
From: Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers 2010 (Tatakae! Chō Robotto Seimeitai Transformer 2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21p48QqU9Ng

One word that can best describe this song, pardoning the use of an outdated term, is "groovy". This song’s got a fun, catchy beat going on for it. The drumming at the beginning draws you in and gets your body moving. The echoing of the backup singers’ voices give off an aura of mystery, and the overall tone and feel of this song emanates a sense of grandeur and importance.

Not to mention that the ending’s “DASH! DASH! DASH! DASH! TRAN-TRANSFORMER!” is wacky mix of funny and weird that somehow makes this song even cooler. :ugeek:

But it’s the animation that really helps this opening stand out. This opening consists entirely of clips from the 1980’s season 3 toy commercials and the G1 movie. We see Unicron’s severed head give us our series title from within his eye (wonder what else he’s got in there ;) ), which in turn dissolves into Ultra Magnus charging in with the familiar faces of Tracks, Smokescreen, Jazz and Red Alert. The five Autobots are confronted by Galvatron and… Starscream and Skywarp? Huh? Guess they didn’t get the memo on their own deaths yet.

Defensor and Bruticus sure have got balls to each take on the gargantuan Trypitcon and Metroplex by themselves. And then we're treated to some defiance of Physics with Broadside not only transforming into both his altmode without size-changing, but doing so alongside a Sandstorm of equal size to him. :P

The Predacons just maul through Sludge as though he were nothing (which technically wouldn’t be too far off the mark, considering his non-existant dino altmode choice) before combining into Predaking. Predaking flies off and Falcon Punches the screen hard enough to make Rodimus Prime's mugshot appear before he proceeds to beat up and fling Galvatron outside of Unicron. Man! No wonder the Japanese were confused after season 2. :lol:

Though, isn’t it a bit ironic that the word “DASH!” is repeated during a scene where everyone is just standing still? :oops:

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:45 am

*cracks nuckles*
number 20 is a quirky catchy tune that i would say perfectly identifies the beast wars as japan recieved it.
jumpy, light hearted and ... somehow pritty cool, this song is a must have iun a transformer's fan's colection. Why not i have it lol
the sceens don't match with the lirics but still we can excuse that purely because you will find yourself humming or trying to sing it.

now track 19 is one of my personal faves.
bwn is one of my fave bw shows and indeed tf shows.
the song is an anim/epic/rock beauty with amazing corolation between the onscrean pictures and lirics and music.
at parts, this song seems quite calm and layed back, but then jumps in to a soft rock melody that captures the semi lighthearted but still intence features of beast wars neo itsself.

now number 18 is a true tf tune. it captures the transformers verry well as what they are and gives the melody a human but otherworldly quality.
the sceens are amusing but again capture the transformers verry well and promote the transformers verry well. if they didn't then i am easily entertained lol.

sabrblade you better have zone in this list XD that is the best lol

i can't wait untill you poast mor themes up hear for my ... i mean others entertainment and transformers education.

and i am pritty much ashured you have supergod masterforce in the list near the top!
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:01 pm

lioconvoy wrote:sabrblade you better have zone in this list XD that is the best lol
We shall see, lioconvoy. We shall se- ah, slag it.

Ask and thou shalt receive.

17. "Transformers Z no Theme"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5osnBJcbxM

This was the final opening theme song of Generation 1, and boy did it go out with a bang! A regal trumpet fanfare begins this song with a feeling of power and finality (though, admittedly, it does play for a bit longer than it ought to, kinda dragging on before the rest of the song can start up). The initial lyrics are decently-paced, gradually increasing in speed and excitement, right up to an enthused battle cry of “GO! ATTACK!”

“WOW WOW Toransufōmā ZONE!” is exceedingly catchy and cheery, somehow oddly fitting in with the song, despite its overall epic feel. And the closing “Yuke yuke HERO! Dai Atorasu!” is kinda funny when you realize that it means “Go go hero! Dai Atlas!” :lol:

As for the visuals, the sunset at the beginning is simply beautiful. And while some may not realize it, its seems kinda symbolic in that not only is the sun setting, but since this was the final G1 opening, it signifies that G1 is nearly coming to an end, and the dawn of a new era (namely the Beast Era) is approaching.

…Then again, a closer look would reveal that that’s actually a sunrise instead; so that kinda kills any and all poetic symbolism that was just mentioned. :oops:

Violen Jiger looks uber epic as he sends forth the Nine Great Demon Generals towards the audience like he wants us all dead, like NOW!

Dai Atlas shows how awesome he is by striking poses in accordance to the song’s trumpeting, as Sonic Bomber fires a barrage of bullets at… the secret love child of Dezsaras and… one of the Gargoyles? Heh?

Lots of Micromas—oh, excuse me, Micro Transformers assemble, fly up, and man the Rocket Base as the two Homo Sapiens (pun intended) run through a flower field together. Thankfully this disturbing image doesn’t last long and is immediately replaced by the Zone Base’s magnificent transformation and Dai Atlas duking it out with… um… a giant pink Battle Beast? Or, is that a Robeast from Voltron?

Oh, Japan, you so crazy! :P And I didn’t even mention that bunny we see pop up all over the sequence.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:04 pm

woo go me i guessed 17 without even meaning to lol

one of my fave songs simply because of the slow pased gradual build up to a rock theme that makes dai atlus look even cooler than his toy but lets face it that's not hard.

the demon generals return in this ... 1 episode series is epic and the way the sun rizes as the end is simbolic of tha assention of autobot in to maximal.
micro masters closest to maximals? hmm who knows XD
one has to enjoy there jap rock to enjoy this tune ... however you could just watch atlus strut his stuff on screen as you find yourself nodding along to the tune and if it wern't for the repatition of transformers zone at the start of the extended theme i would never guess it was called zone lol

this tune actually started my hunt for a dai atlus figure and surprise surprise i don't have one and i am shocked that the figure cant poze like them theme atlus lol

keep up the good work sab and perhaps the next theme is bwii?
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:33 am

lioconvoy wrote:keep up the good work sab and perhaps the next theme is bwii?
Thanks, and thank you for joining in. As for that guess, better luck next time.

16. "The Headmasters"

The first Japanese-original series started off with a song that, for the first time, seemed as though it wanted to take things to an *EXTREME!!!* level music-wise. This is especially evident in how it begins by screaming the words “HEAD ON! HEAD ON! HEAD ON!” at us. :)

The entire vocal aspect of this song is presented in a deep, loud, echoing voice that gives off a chilling, yet invigorating, feel of emotion.

The main verse feels kinda slow in places, but things get better once the chorus starts up with its “Kaware! Heddomasutā!” and its “Tatakae! Heddomasutā!” battle cries. The whole things comes to a solid, decisive finish with the closing words of “Toransufōmā! Toransufōmā!... Heddomasutā!” 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nxJkXN5HCY

This whole sequence is very enjoyable to watch! The beginning with the rainbow title and the Autobot Headmasters jumping at the audience (coupled with the screams of “HEAD ON!”) is a great attention getter. And, starting from the point where Maximus’ City Mode launches everyone into space, we can tell that this is going to be a space-based series (even if there were still several Earth-based episodes).

As soon as the battle starts, everything just explodes into epicness! This whole fight looks as though it was orchestrated by Michael Bay: completely unorganized with lasers firing at every direction as the two factions just beat the living slag out of each other! It’s this kind of nonsensical fun that really draws us in.

Though, Rodimus Prime doesn’t look like he’s doing too well in this fight scene. I mean, sure, he wasn’t really all that during season 3, but he had very much improved when he appeared in this series. Yet, here he’s seen being blasted once and then has to rely on Chromedone for cover. I guess the Japanese really wanted to get the kids by the newer toys that year. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E47Dw1PPZLo

Starting with episode 15, the sequence changed to promote the interactive TV toy Video Challenger, by having every Decepticon in the opening flicker white on screen, emitting a signal that the kids’ Challenge Blaster could receive every time they shot at the 'Cons.

The result of this is that it looks as though the Decepticons are trying to attack the TV viewers with seizures. Oh! Now we know where Pokémon got the idea from! :P

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Next

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion