Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

The Top 20 Greatest Japanese TF Opening Themes -*REVAMPED!*

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Re: The Top 20 Greatest Japanese TF Opening Themes

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:26 pm

12. "IGNITION - Ignition!"

The second opening theme song of Galaxy Force. This song rocks! It’s fast-paced, loud, and hardcore; yet mellow, warm, and relaxing all at once. Paradox for the win!

It’s starts out intense right away, not wasting any time to get going. It then calms down for a bit, as though to catch its breath. Then, when all’s said and done, it kicks everything back up a notch to the level of *EXTREME!!!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90AIiO-VwE4

While being the second song of the series, this is actually the fifth sequence overall, first appearing in episode 28 (27 in TF: Cybertron). All five main planets come into view as the title comes on. Lots of existing footage from the show is used, but a lot of what is chosen is pretty epic on its own; particularly all the scenes of the Decepticon mass invasion, and those of the Omega Lock being activated.

The scene of the three kids looking upset as the Earth appears in the background is beautifully animated. As is the shot of Coby and Lori standing in the mountains as Bud drops in doing a ninja-style smoke effect. :geek:

More invasion scenes are shown, along with the births of the Cybertron Defense Team members. And pretty much everything else in this opening looks amazing all the way to the very end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_5ALqRwmuA

This opening debuted in episode 38 (37 in TF: Cybertron). Nearly everything in this opening is new footage. Override outraces the other Autobots. The kids watch in awe as the Autobots fly downward then soar back into the sky. A wide pan of every Autobot is shown, as is a shot of the four planets with their leaders (Metroplex is cast in shadow) and Planet X with Sideways and Soundwave. And Starsceam stands ominously in all his demonic glory.

The humans all look on solemnly at various scenery, as the four Cyber Planet Keys fly to Primus. Four epic fight scenes are shown, leading up to everyone assembling on the Moon. Sonic Wing Mode and Dark Claw Mode duke it out as the final shot is shown with the kids, Optimus, Override, Evac, and a shadowed Metroplex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L7cFJlEQVU

This one appeared in episode 41 (40 in TF: Cybertron). Metroplex is now visible and… that’s pretty much it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZUlaAu-4b4

This one debuted in episode 42 (41 in TF: Cybertron). That’s right, the previous one was used in only one episode! Here, Megatron is now Galvatron and the footage of him attacking in Dark Claw Mode has been replaced with Galvatron attacking with his normal Cyber Key powered arm claws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHwAysDpd-I

This last and final version debuted in episode 50. Scourge is added to the final shot to signify his new alliance with the Autobots.

Whew! Five different openings for this one song! And this is only one of two theme songs for Galaxy Force! :shock: ;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:40 am

what a theme.

now as cool as this tune is, my personal fave part is the starscream looking down rite evil sceen lol

call me old fassioned but a good oldfacianed evil starscream sceen works for me.
the cybertron defence team's birth is sweet and the theme itsself is pritty good but the earlyer theme works better for me
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:42 pm

Old fashioned, you say? Well, this next entry just might fit the bill on that one.

11. "TRANSFORMER"
From: Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers (Tatakae! Chō Robotto Seimeitai Transformer)

This is the one that started it all. The very first of a long line of Japanese Transformers theme songs to ever be produced. To not include this song somewhere on this list would not only be a sin, but an outright crime in and of itself!

Like the theme to 2010, this one has a nice groove to it. The robotic "Transform…" at the beginning catches you off guard, followed by a sweeping rush that brings you and the song together. The words of “WAKE UP!” are practically ordering you to pay attention, as though you were about to miss out on something cool if you didn’t.

The verses are an oxymoronic blend of tranquility and exhilaration. The whispering lines of “MYSTERIOUS MIND” add a touch of mystical and enchanting elements, which then switch to alertness with a cry of “Susanda Planet!”

The song calms down again, but picks back up after the next “TRANSFORM!” The rest of the chorus is very upbeat, catchy and just… well, listen to it!:

YOU CAN FIGHT... TRANSFORMER
Mabataku uchū no Destiny somete
YOU CAN FIGHT... TRANSFORMER
Katachi wo kaeta himitsu no hitomi
Moeagare
WE HOPE THE ONLY WORLD

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_G-8qZrMaA

Admittedly, I’m not too fond with how all the footage in the openings of this song (save for the title screens) is nothing but recycled footage from the U.S. opening and the episodes themselves. But, considering what they had to work with at the time, I’ll cut them some slack this time.

Like the U.S. opening, it starts with the two faction symbols flying forward into view, which does well to match with the initial vocals of the song. The new title screen fades into view over where the U.S. one would be. The rest of it plays like the U.S. opening until after the Autobots aim their guns to the sky. We cut to footage from early season one episodes like the “MTMTE” three-parter and “Transport to Oblivion”.

I especially like how they were able to include the Prime vs. Megs fight atop Sherman Dam, which featured their one-time energy weapons deployed from their wrists.

There's also footage from the American ending theme (which itself consisted of episode footage as well) used in this opening right before the final shot. What’s weird about this is that the footage of the three generic Seeke—er, I mean Jetrons taking off is used in this opening, when there were neither toys made for these three, nor did they really ever appear again outside of the first three episodes. Yet, since they’re shown in this opening, audiences saw these three strangers again and again, without a clue as to who they were (that is, until the Internet fandom was born, mind you ;) ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_clwBr24rso

The second opening, like the first, uses more footage from the U.S. openings and endings, only this time them being of season two. The beginning starts with the two insignia flying toward Cybertron, fading into the title screen. More U.S. opening footage is used up until the Insecticons show up on the lava. But, strangely enough, the footage this cuts to is footage from the U.S. season one opening.

After that bizarre repeat, the scene cuts to footage of the U.S. season two ending (which, like the first, is made of up episode clips on its own), beginning with Long Haul transforming till we see Sunstreaker and co. transform. Then, it cuts to random clips from both of the U.S. season one and two endings, until it finally gets back on track with showing the finishing shots of the U.S. season two opening and the entrance of the new title screen.

Confused yet? Good! 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8l-f65RDQg

This is the version used in the Scramble City OVA, and it differs a bit from the previous two. It even keeps the American series logo, as though this episode were a Western creation.

It mostly plays the season two opening footage, until it switches to various clips of “MTMTE, Part 1” footage after the Insections appear down in the lava. Though, I gotta LOL at Floro Dery’s name being ‘Engrishly’ misspelled as “Frolo Dery”. :lol:

It keeps playing episode 1 footage until near the end, when it cuts back to the last scenes of the season two opening and once again keeps the U.S. logo.

But to be honest, this song as it is isn’t really as good as I’ve placed it here on the list. No, there is a very specific reason for why this song made it so high up compared to most of the other Japanese G1 songs.

Allow me to introduce to you all the real reason this song landed the number 11 spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug_xleUP2Zs

Behold! This is "~TRANSFORMER~ Kiss Play Version"!

Who would have thought that Kiss Players, of all series, could produce something this awesome!

…What?

:shock: :o Whoa, hold on a sec! I am not one of those kinds of people. Just… here me out.

This version of the song has been pumped up in extremity and intensity. The robotic “Transform” at the beginning has become even more so, as though the voice speaking it was no longer that of a human being. Not to mention that the singers’ voices are more distinctive in this version, enabling us to better identify who is singing at which points in the song.

It’s not as though this song has been taking estrogen pills, but rather more like it thought it was taking estrogen and in actuality was taking steroids! The normal version of the song was already kinda ‘girly’ on its own; so to say that this version is more girly wouldn’t be as correct as to say that everything in this song has been enhanced. It’s louder, faster, more upbeat, and a lot more intense than the normal version. And because of this, it was enough to kick this song up to the number 11 spot on the list.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:55 pm

lmao

catchy fun and makes you want to hum it over nd over again
remember fight transformer

lmao so hight up the list for such ... trashy catchy amusing 80s music lol

coodos to you sab for reminding me of this
`
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:33 am

We are now entering the Top 10 portion of this list! And to start off this section is something that could be considered an unexpected choice:

10. "SPACE DREAMER ~Haruka naru Beast Wars~"
From: Beast Wars Special: Super Lifeform Transformers – Lio Convoy in Imminent Danger! (Beast Wars Special: Chō Seimeitai Transformer – Lio Convoy Kiki Ippatsu!)

NOTE: Before you click the following link to view this opening, you should know that, unlike all the other entries, this clip is NOT of the song by itself. It is the actual beginning of the movie and the song does not start playing until 3 minutes and 5 seconds (or at 3:05) into the clip. Plus, it ends at 4:33, with the rest of the clip being more of the movie. I have linked to it in a way so the clip starts where the song starts, but you must manually cease playing the video once the song finishes if you do not wish to let the movie continue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_DqIwUO4bFU#t=185s

Okay, this song is lively and just energetic! You can easily tell that the singers were psyched up when performing this epic piece of music.

The initial techno-sounding “3, 2, 1, Ready go!” followed by the intense cries of “Get up! Wake up! Let's go! Space Dreamer! Never… give up! Believe it! Beast Wars!” really draw you into the excitement of all this.

The whole first verse really builds up the intensity and enthusiasm of the movie, as it goes from kinda calm to really heated up with awesomeness! And the chorus just makes you wanna get up and start moving to its epicness, especially coupled with the cries of “Beast World!” and “Beast Power!”

And the ending—Oh, man! That techno mix paired with the chanting and battle cries is just… it’s too incredible to put into words! 8-) :geek: :D

As for the visuals… unfortunately, they aren’t as cool as the song itself is. It’s mostly just random shots of Majin Zarak’s inner workings. But what we do see is kinda cool.

The title screen flashes into view all seizure-like and then cuts to the metallic-yet-still-kinda-bland-looking subtitle screen. Lio Convoy and Magnaboss pose as Apache, Diver, and Bighorn all Henshin for us. 8-)

Majin Zarak’s steering wheel spins in front of all the scenes showing off his interior design. We are first shown a view of his rear thrusters, which then cuts to… a different view of Majin Zarak (it’s hard to tell exactly what this is a view of, given the quality of the video). It then cuts to another view of MZ’s interior, which here looks kinda… organic?

The next view appears to be of MZ’s right arm. This is interesting to see as we don’t often see what all happens to the Robot Mode body parts of a Transformer when they’re being stored in their altmode. At least, not visually in animated form.

We then see another shot which is even more difficult to identify in this clip as a blinding light obstructs our view of it. After this, we see one more unidentifiable view as we cut to a rather eerie-looking shot of Majin Zarak’s head. It’s interesting to see that the lower half of his face is missing from the rest of his head in this shot, so it would appear to disconnect from it when he’s in his altmode.

Finally, the wheel ceases spinning as it lowers itself down into the piloting chamber of the vessel and attaches itself to the main pedestal by the time the song ends.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:43 pm

his track was designed for a catchy jumpy amusing theme.
the visuals arn't much but the track itsself is cool and works with the theme of the series and the special itsself

good choice
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:29 am

9. "Chōjin Masterforce no Theme"
From: Transformers: Chōjin Masterforce (Super-God Masterforce)

Bet you were wondering what I thought about this one, seeing as how every other Japanese G1 theme made it onto this list much earlier. Well, here it is: the grandest of them all!

Now admittedly, it may be some of my biased love for the Chōjin Masterforce series in general that’s kinda influencing my decision to put this song so high up. But, when I did an honest comparison of this song to the others, I honestly still found it to be this enjoyable.

The whole song is sung in a deep, ominous tone, making it sound like a warning that some unforeseeable force of unstoppable might is approaching. The lyrics aid in this by describing the scenario in which a certain group of individuals must stand up to fight for the protection of Earth.

As it continues, it doesn’t get much faster paced, but the seriousness grows exponentially as the chorus eagerly cries out “MASTERFORCE!” several times. The severity of this part is contrasted nicely with the concluding lines of “GET ON, GOD ON, HEAD ON! Chōjin… Masterforce,” sung in a peaceful tone. This final change signifies that, while the seriousness of the current circumstance is evident, it doesn’t alienate the factor of openness or fun, but embraces them into the gravitas of the song. 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhfLeZtQ5Hk

Frankly, the beginning of this opening is kinda slow, as we just see Shūta and Minerva typing on a computer at a drive-in with the title screen appearing set atop a pedestal cast in spotlights. Hawk just runs in slow-mo smiling all creepy-like, as he’s suddenly replaced by a shot of his Suit Mode and those of the other Autobot Pretenders, which then changes into all their robot modes.

After that, we see Ginrai’s trailer’s Base Mode… um... floating in space… with… the Trainbots? What kind of logic is that? That Base Mode doesn’t appear until near the end of the series, and Trainbots make zero appearances in Masterforce at all. :ugeek:

Buster and Hydra fly by an eerie-looking castle as they engage Metalhawk and Phoenix in Jet Mode, much to the horror of Shūta and Minerva. The brothers then unite to form Darkwings.

The Autobot Godmasters (particularly Lightfoot) encounter the Decepticon Pretenders inside a tunnel. Lightfoot transforms and retaliates to their attack. Tentakil terrorizes a city as King Poseidon is formed nearby. Ginrai drives up, transforms, and delivers an epic kick to the titan, sending him crashing to the ground.

The final shot has Ginrai and the Pretenders step out of the movie screen and stand proudly at the audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOYbU6F162U

Okay, this footage is a 1000 times better than the first! Ginrai and Autobot Headmaster Juniors run towards the audience as the title screen blazes into view. Ginrai dons his Suit Mode armor as King Poseidon bursts out of a bed of ice and fires on the poor sod. Ginrai reacts with a “Double On!” into his Super Ginrai form.

Giga and Mega glow with Chōkon Power as they combine with their Transtectors into Overlord. Lightfoot, Ranger, and Road King appear, drive down a waterfall, and transform all in style. :cool:

King Poseidon tries to punch Super Ginrai, but the fishy fool is sent plummeting down to the ice below, causing a massive explosion as he is seemingly destroyed. Yep, Ginrai is the toy you want to buy, kids. ;)

All of a sudden, Super Ginrai blasts Overlord in a city, and what may be quite possibly one of the most epic fight sequences of the whole series commences! This fight is a beautiful illustration of what this series is all about: two opposing combatants duking it all out till the last one stands. Why can’t we ever get this kind of good, violent stuff anymore?

The Autobot Headmaster Juniors drive up in Godbomber, who splits into pieces and unites with Super Ginrai to become God Ginrai. This final shot is simply amazing, as the four humans evict themselves from the robot giant. :D 8-) 8-)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:16 am

i love this track!!!

admitedly the second series of screan shots are better and the first are kind of ... abstract but the theme itsself well ...

deep melodic, epic and with a chrous to kill for.

love this track so much and cant wait to see what comes next
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:14 pm

lioconvoy wrote:love this track so much and cant wait to see what comes next
I think you'll love this one even more.

8. "SUPER VOYAGER"
From: Beast Wars II: Super Lifeform Transformers (Beast Wars Second: Chō Seimeitai Transformer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZ0HcYaShU

The second opening to Beast Wars II, beginning at episode 28. Like the theme song to Transformers: Victory, I hear that this one’s a pretty popular theme song. However, unlike Victory, this is even better than it’s made out to be, which is why it gets ranked this high up on the list. :mrgreen:

This song’s got a rockin’ good beat! It’s fast, loud, and encompasses all that is cool with the Beast Era and anime in general. The initial techno-style synthesizer beats truly capture the oncoming intensity of the rest of the song, and is further complemented by the overall jiving rhythm played all throughout this music.

As the verses become mellow in places, it gives off an aura of mystery, wonder, and excitement. And, as we all know, kids dig excitement. ;) :lol:

Though, what really surprises me is that none other than God Himself gets mentioned in this song. Towards the end of the first verse is a line that is sung “God Knows unmei no Key of Life”, which translates out to “God knows the Key of Life’s destiny.” This is a rather interesting line in that it seems to add an extra layer of divinity to this song’s already current awesomeness.

The visuals for this opening are like poetry in moving art form. The title screen dissolves into view with the backdrop of a nebula. The components of Magnaboss Henshin in a galaxy background, and are then fired from the Yukikaze as beams of energy. A translucent Galvatron is shown against a backdrop of the Nemesis. Lio Junior swings his weapon around and—

Okay, this is too much! I love everything shown in this opening! To describe each and every piece of imagery in justifiable words would be an overwhelming task. So, I’ll just point out the stuff that looks like it went “above and beyond” epic. :geek:

The still-shot of Galvatron in Drill Tank Mode, which pans up to reveal Gigastorm and the Galvaburg II, look simply amazing. The scene with all the Maximals running (or in Skywarp’s case, flying) in Beast Mode is wonderfuly animated (LOL at Tasmania Kid running on two legs in the background :lol: ).

The shadowed image of the Cyborg Beasts looks brutal! And the shot of every Maximal at the end is pure epic goldness! :o :D

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:11 am

well ... what can i say ... you were rite

another amazing choice and like you say it is the beast wars incarnate in this track.
just wow
visuals and theme are epic

so sab on with the show what is the next on the list?
lioconvoy

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion