Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

The Top 20 Greatest Japanese TF Opening Themes -*REVAMPED!*

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Re: The Top 20 Greatest Japanese TF Opening Themes

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:41 pm

lioconvoy wrote:so sab on with the show what is the next on the list?
Glad you asked. :mrgreen:

7. "Tamashī no Evolution"
From: Super Lifeform Transformers: Beast Wars Metals (Chō Seimeitai Transformer: Beast Wars Metals)

Aw, YEAH! This is what I’m talking about! The first opening to Beast Wars Metals. Who couldn’t find this song to be awesome?! :D

*ahem* But seriously folks, this song’s an all around very good one. It starts off calm with a nice piano piece, almost as if this were something out a magical dream or a fairy tale (the *good* kind, that is). But then it immediately cuts to a rockin’ good time as it breaks out the electric guitar and kicks everything into overdrive!

The main verse is serious. Serious and dramatic. Like others, it builds its way up to the chorus as it spikes up the intensity of it all, which is very fitting for a Beast Wars theme song. Once the chorus starts up, everything goes ballistic with a cry of “SHININ’ YOUR SOUL!”

And it all becomes topped off with an excellectly-screamed “Tatakae! BEAST WAAAAAAAAAAAAARS! BEAST WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS!” :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIqKsbr7xk4

Like the last Beast Wars opening, this one consists of random clips from the U.S. show. However, the execution of using these images has significantly improved. It starts with a pan from outer space onto Earth, as it zooms in and cuts to the Maximal inside Ravage’s Transwarp Cruiser. The Maximals all transform an arm themselves—as seen in “Other Visits (Part 1)”—while the Predacons stand before the horizon cast in shadow—taken from “Coming of the Fuzors (Part 2)”.

The rest appear to be various clips of many epic poses and battle moves taken from a variety of season two episodes, many coming from the “Other Visits” two-parter and “The Agenda” three-parter. A few of the others are noticeably taken from the U.S. season two opening, but they are spread out in ways that make this opening look more original instead of being simply a copy/paste job.

This trend of random clips continues up till the end when clips from “Coming of the Fuzors (Part 1)” play in beautiful unison with the “Tatakae!” lyric. After one more inserted clip of Optimus, the title screen appears before us in all its brightness and majesty. To finish it off, the Maximals race off together in “Code of Hero” footage, and the camera pans away from Earth to outer space, where a single star twinkles at the audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cM8rG_Jr3E

*dies laughing* :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a special sing-along version of the song sung by all the Maximals during a specific episode. I wanna say that it was the first special remix episode “Where Is the Banana?”, but I can't be certain.

Hearing everyone all try to sing this, with one guy (I *think* it’s Cheetor) shouting random stuff, makes this out to be just downright hilarious. I mean, this is a hoot and a riot to hear. I cannot stop laughing as I hear this bizarre, display of chaotic vocals.

Imagine this being performed live in an opera or a musical. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOc1A4xHXWc

Now here’s something that probably no one saw coming. This song was also included in the Japanese version the Beast Wars: Transmetals video game. And from the look of it, it seems to fit the opening a whole lot better than the U.S. version (which just played some random rock music) did.

Like the TV opening, the game opening starts off in space and then pans to a view of Earth, zooming in on it and going down to the surface. Optimus Primal and Megatron transform and show off their weapons. All of the TV show Transmetal and Fuzor Maximals and Predacons transform, followed by the Max/Pred logos spinning around.

“Convoy,” “Rhinox,” “Cheetus,” “Rattle,” “Silverbolt,” “Megatron,” “Waspeeter,” “Tarans,” “Rampage,” and “Quickstrike” are all named on screen (many of these names were obviously changed in the game’s Western release). Optimus and Megatron duke it out as their energy blasts explode into a multitude of sparks.

Then a whole bunch of crazy images and words appear on screen as the word “BATTLE” appears on screen and its letters flash to the “Tatakae!” of the vocals.

With the Earth in the background, Silverbolt and Quickstrike fight equally, Rattrap humorously struggles to fight Rampage ( :lol: ), Cheetor and Taratulas just slap at each other, and Optimus and Megatron just stare at each other for a moment until Megs swings is tail weapon at Primal, who replies with a punch which Megatron blocks.

The sequence ends with an image of the eight combatants glaring at each other, just aching to kick each other’s skidplates!
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:37 pm

oh yeah this is what i'm talking about!

the theme's slow start makes you think the hole duration is going to be serine but then we are slammed with the chrous and we are forced to listen clearly and enjoy.

the remix with the maximals is jokes but its japanese bw
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:34 pm

lioconvoy wrote:oh yeah this is what i'm talking about!
Did you just copy what I wrote?

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:19 am

nope to be honest i didn't read what you put and only clicked on the link lol

i'm not sure that the random vocals in the remix is cheetor but i could be rong. its ages since i watched beastwars in japanese.

honestly i think masterforce has a better theme than this track and i would switch them round but its your list lol
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:05 pm

lioconvoy wrote:honestly i think masterforce has a better theme than this track and i would switch them round but its your list lol
Well, to me, this song has just a slightly better edge of coolness to it than the Masterforce theme (and the second BWII theme).

"Chōjin Masterforce no Theme" was soft, but epic. "Super Voyager" was loud, yet lively. And "Tamashī no Evolution" is like a grand midway blend between the two: calm and warm at first, then edgy and fun as it proceeds.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:18 pm

And now, we have come to another exciting moment...

6. "Honō no Overdrive ~Car Robot Cybertron~"

:o :shock: :ugeek: "ZOMG, DIS IZ TEH GR8EST SONG EVAR!!!"

*ahem*…is what I would say if I were Chester A. Bum. ;)

But, seriously folks, in a nutshell, this song is an adrenaline rush. It’s like a furious tsunami of burning, raging, pure emotion and passion! You can tell that J-rock artist Kōji Wada ( :D ) is giving it his all here. Nothing screams “energetic” more than this song right here (or at least, not much does, when it comes to the Transformers).

The initial drumming and siren waining are just thrown at the listeners right at the start, capturing them into a trance as though nothing else matter in this world. The electric guitar session builds up to the vocals in the most intense way possible.

The repetition of lyrics may seem kinda like padding, but for Wada, it works. He’s one of those guys, like Stan Bush, who make anything sound good in music. Besides, it can only get better, as the chorus becomes a weird mix of wacky and awesome:

Go Boy! Convoy!
Honō no Overdrive!
Fire Convoy!
Akai senkō… Fire Flash!
Daremo ga kagayaku inochi hitotsu
Car Robot! Car Robot! Car Robot! Cybertron!”
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

And I gotta say that the final line of “FIRE!!!” is waaay more hot-blooded in the TV edited version than the full version. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUPeMCo3RN0

As good as the song is, the visuals are the icing on the cake. Sirens light up with Optimus, X-Brawn, Prowl, and Side Burn cast in shadow. Prime drives forward through the streets of… Foreign-Unnamed-Nightsville—er, let’s just say Tokyo. The title screen makes a rather gradual and appearance onto a very slow sideways pan of a view of the city ("slow" and this song do not mix). ;)

Optimus keeps driving as a CGI dragon mode Megatron appears blocking his path. Optimus has also suddenly changed to a (rather ugly) CGI form. Thankfully, we cut to all three of the Autobot Brothers violating traffic laws and endangering anyone who could be around them. Side Burn’s driving drunk, Prowl (a slaggin’ police car!) is drag racing, and X-Brawn’s jumping from off road onto the pavement without any warning! The Global Spacebridge forms and the three pull a Sonic the Hedgehog to enter it.

Optimus turns into a CGI clay doll that would make the Transformers: Energon bots look like James Cameron’s Avatar, and engages the CGI marionette of Megatron. After some brief shooting, Optimus is suddenly back in his normal 2D form, glaring at the oncoming Predacons led by Sky-Byte. Not wasting any time. Prime promptly blasts the fish to Kingdom Come and proceeds to form his Battle Mode… while holding on to Koji and T-AI?

The Autobot Brothers all become CG and transform in ridiculously toy accurate styles. But then suddenly ditch the ILM-reject look for them normal looks as they pile on top of each other, with Optimus set at the top. That can’t be healthy. :P

Showing up nowhere in this opening until now, the members of Team Bullet Train randomly appear and the CGI Megatron finally transforms to Robot Mode. He pulls out his weapons ready for battle, but the way he holds them up looks more like he’s going, "Look at ME! I haz weponz! See!" :lol:

The final shot has all the Autobots seen in this sequence stand proudly until the shouting of “FIRE!!” where Prime and the brothers all lunge forward, while the trains all strike poses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfDP8SvUpAI

Beginning with episode 7, the cel-shaded animation of the Bullet Trains was replaced with CGI animation. Well, at least they’re still shiny. :geek: :lol:

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:45 pm

i slagging love this track!

car robots embodies everything amazing, fun and ... baddly cgi about japan with the amazing animation making up for all that lol

i bet prime wishes he had ratchet with him to help after crushing the car brothers lol

i am so glad it is number 6 on the list.

can't wait for number 5
dazle me sabrblade
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:46 pm

It's the final countdown.

The time has come for us to enter the final Top 5 of the Greatest Japanese Transformers Opening Themes.

lioconvoy wrote:can't wait for number 5
dazle me sabrblade
Okey dokey. ;)

5. "Sen'nen no Soldier"
From: Super Lifeform Transformers: Beast Wars Metals (Chō Seimeitai Transformer: Beast Wars Metals)

Here’s another case like numbers 12 and 13. Again, while the last one was awesome, this one seems like it had more thought put into it. Judging by all the season three footage in this one, it’s easy to tell that this one is this series' second opening.

Regarding the song itself, if there were ever a definitive Japanese song for Beast Wars, it’d be this one. It wastes no time building up to the good stuff and starts off immediately crying out, “BEAST WARS!” three times to its audience. While some would consider a lack of build up to this kind of excitement to be abrupt and somewhat disorderly, it doesn’t really seem that bothersome and kinda gives the song a bit of uniqueness. Though, if you’re still not digging this feel, the electric guitar moments after these cries could be considered as build up to the first verse instead.

Speaking of the first verse, forget what I said about first Beast Wars Metals opening, cuz this one wipes out all the seriousness of that song absorbs it into itself. This song is not only serious, but dark; dark and serious all around.

But that isn’t to say that it lacks any light moments. Towards the end of the first verse, the tone shifts from sounding ominous and menacing to sounding wondrous and majestic. The moments before the chorus sound kinda like something out of worship hymn or a song of praise, but in a good way.

You really feel the regality and power of the chorus, as though something finite and decisive is about to happen that will turn the tide for good. And the cries of “LONELY SOLDIER” and “NEVER GIVIN’ UP” really add to this.

The last part of the chorus gets serious again, but instead of intimidation, excitement accompanies it this time, as another electric guitar moment closes the song with one more cry of “BEAST WARS!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8i4iqvwQCM

Like the second opening to Beast Wars II, number 8, there’s too much to love in this opening.

Unlike the previous openings to the Japanese dub of the U.S. Beast Wars series, this one does not simply copy the American opening footage and then add its own clips. But rather, the majority of footage in this opening is new stuff not used in the English opening.

A lot of what was added into this one comes from “Optimal Situation,” the “Feral Scream” two-parter, “Other Victories,” the “Nemesis” two-parter, and other episodes (actually, I think all 13 episodes got at least one moment of screen time in this sequence). And all of it is gloriously used in the most creative and unique ways possible.

Again, the only original material put into this opening is the title screen, but it’s placed near the beginning of the sequence instead of the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1GvvYKKlGs

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*gasps for air* Oh, slag! *breathes deeply* That was… That was… Oh, slag! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay… okay… *tries to catch his breath* So…

Like… like the first opening, this one also had a sing-along version done with all the Maximals singing it. I think this one was in the second clip show, “Remix: I lost the Banana!

I take back what I said about the first one being funny, cuz this one is epitome of hilarious! It’s ten times funnier than the first one because of the simple fact that this song is so serious and yet these guys are singing so badly that it’s to die for!

It’s especially funny how Cheetor sounds like he isn’t even trying to sing it right, about midway through Rattrap just gives up trying to sing and babbles random stuff for a moment, and near the end its sounds like Cheetor and Silverbolt have started up an argument while everyone else is still trying (and failing miserably) to sing. And then all chaos breaks loose after the chorus ends!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:30 am

omfg i forgot about this track.

this is beast wars incarnate for japan such an amazing track and i nearly wet myself with the hilarity of the singalong version lol

now number four has to be a beauty
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:35 am

lioconvoy wrote:now number four has to be a beauty
Well, let's see.

4. "CALL YOU... Kimi to Boku no Mirai"

At this point, it’s hard to put the awesomeness of this song into words that I haven’t already used for previous songs. I could call it “epic,” “intense,” “fast-paced,” “burning with emotion,” “extreme,” “fueled with power,” and/or “passionate,” but I’ve already used those words. They’re all true, but I’d be repeating myself.

Let’s see how I can describe this song.

The beginning starts off with a weird mix of calm and tense that explodes with a cry of “Yeah!” and then a louder and longer “YEAH!”

The first verse begins in an excited manner as it, like many others, builds up in the intensity of the song (see, I keep using these words over and over again :x ). As the song comes nearer to the chorus, the grandeur and majesty of this song shines out with sudden change in power at the yell of “Boku mo kimi mo ikiteiru akashi! Dakara!”

The chorus switches into a fast-paced ( :roll: ) mode and ignites a feeling of magnificence and supremacy. And all of it feels so epic as the ending shouts out “We just call you TORANSUFŌMĀ!!!”

“TORANSU--MĀ!!!!!”

“Whoa… RIDE ON!” 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcvVuXmS3h8

The very first opening to Galaxy Force is a doozy. The Autobot insignia swirls around whatever’s on screen behind it for the first bunch of episodes (in this case, it’s Optimus giving us his best evil Uncle Sam “I Want YOU…” face) and burst into all the planets and the title screen.

After we see some images of the three kids we se- WHOA, WAIT A SECOND! :shock: Did Vector Prime just plug his key into his CROTCH?!! :o What… what would possess him to do such a thing? :???:

Er, I take that back. After seeing… that, I don’t wanna know what he was thinking. :oops:

Megatron and Starscream stand in the Fire Dimension as the Mini-Cons appear before Vector Prime (gah, can’t get him out of my head now! :| )

Lots of Autobot faces are shown before we cut to a view of the Grand Black Hole, which is then followed by the stock footage of Optimus transforming from Vehicle to Robot. After this comes an awesome fight scene between Optimus and… another Decepticon (I think might be Starscream, the picture moves so fast it’s hard to tell exactly who it is, but it’s still an amazing fight).

Vector Prime lunges with his sword (Ack! The connotations of that sentence!), as Overhaul dukes it out with Starscream, and Prime and Megs exchange blows.

Megatron’s Car-to-Robot stock footage plays, followed by Optimus’ Super Mode stock footage, and ending with a work of art showing everybody. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcUdcRuZgR0

Starting with episode 14 (Cybertron episode 13), the opening changed significantly. The background behind the spinning Autobot logo is now black, and will remain so for the remainder of this song’s use.

Vector Prime’s “Cyber Crotch Power!” scene is different and longer (because, you know, that’s totally what we needed to see more of). :roll:

A view of Earth with the three kids looking upset over something appears, Vector Prime nods, and more views of the kids are shown.

Where we saw the black hole we know see Override racing down a Velocitronian race track trying to catch up to a Burning Justice-enhanced Hot Shot. Optimus’ Super Mode stock footage happens early, and is followed by shots of several Speed Planet natives, Hot Shot transforming, and Scourge roaring.

Sideays transforms, Jetfire attacks, Landmine attacks, Overhaul attacks, and Ransack does his best attempt at a “RIDER KICK!!!” :P

Crumplezone, Starscream, and Scourge attack, Prime and Megs “Falcon Punch” each other, and then cue the end artwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHq6G9Y6Qcc

Episode 20 (Cybertron episode 19) greatly changed the opening again. This time, the kids are in a field at the beginning with an eagle flying overhead. Lori dances down a street… for some reason or whatever. :roll: Coby works on his bike as Bud falls onto his back, prompting Coby to start chasing him.

Optimus attacks in Super Mode, as we cut back to the view of Earth with the forlorn kids. Coby and Lori stand back-to-back, holding hands in the mountains, as Bud drops in doing a ninja-style smoke effect, turning everything chibi. :lol:

Override races down the track again as a lot of Autobots' heads turn, followed by Hot Shot transforming and Leobreaker running.

Optimus Prime Savage Claw Mode forms up and Vector Prime charges up his power to attack. More Autobots look around, as Scourge roars and Sideways shows off his blades. Ransack, Crumplezone, Starscream, and Megatron all attack, and he and Prime punch each other again (they do this a lot).

The last shot of everyone is different too, incorporating all of the Autobots on Optimus’ team up to this point in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd3u0Vei6M8

Okay, this is ridiculous. This opening debuted in episode 21 (Cybertron episode 20), meaning the last one was only used for one episode.

And what, you might ask, was changed in this fourth opening to make it differ from the other? Just the scene with the kids looking sad with Earth behind them. That’s it. They’re poses and order of fading is all that was changed. Instead of it being:
1 - Sad Coby faces left
2 - Sad Lori faces down-right
3 - Sad Bud faces downward
It went:
1 - Sad Coby faces left and moves up-left
2 - Sad Bud faces right and moves up-right
3 - Sad Lori prays in the center

That’s all that was changed. Oh, and the Earth is bigger and zooms out, instead of being smaller and zooming in.

Though, now that I think about it, it’s kinda appropriate for Entry #4 to have four versions. *ba-dum-tish!* :geek:

But, seriously, “Cyber Crotch Power”? Wha- :?

Sabrblade
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion