Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

The Top 20 Greatest Japanese TF Opening Themes -*REVAMPED!*

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Re: The Top 20 Greatest Japanese TF Opening Themes

Postby lioconvoy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 pm

like you say there is no word for what this track is

but vector prime is a verry filthy, pervy old man and some of those conotations are just creepy.

never ever ever ever ever defile a member of the 13 again takara never do it again bad japan lol

number three cant be any better than this can it?
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:44 pm

And now, we have reached a high climax of the countdown: the final Top 3 of the greatest Japanese TF opening themes.

3. "Transformers ~Kōtetsu no Yūki~"
From: Chō Robotto Seimeitai Transformers: Micron Densetsu (Super Robot Lifeform Transformers: Micron Legend)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4oQFTosAoU

Like Energon/Super Link, the Armada/Micron Densetsu cartoon is a hard nut to crack. Considered to be one of the more overall “average” series, it’s amazing that it had a theme song as epic as this! The second Japanese opening to Micron Densetsu, which began with episode 27, is a great song that stands out among many of the others as one of the few that truly feels like a Transformers song.

The beginning is cold, deep, and powerful, keeping the vocals almost completely silent until they call out “Transform!” in a majestic choral yell.

In a stark contrast to other songs, the chorus precedes the verses, playing at the beginning of the song before all else. This is actually a cool idea, as it jumps right into what the song is about without delay and gets ya all excited and pumped up for what’s coming in the rest of it.

The first stanza comes off as slow, but also friendly and easygoing. It effectively relaxes the listener for a bit after the high energy of the chorus, and also serves as clever façade for the more serious portions to come after it.

The second stanza of the verse increases in passion as it changes from friendly and fun to focused and determined, as though it were to say that it’s time for us to go forth and confront the challenges that await us in life, without any hesitations.

The chorus kicks in a second time with all its high-octane adrenaline flowing into us through our ears. It’s a great piece of music and lyrics that gleams with majesty and splendor, in a Transformers sense, that is.

To finish off the song is a coda version of the chorus, sung in a completely higher pitch that sounds grander than before and simply epic. It’s all fits together nicely with the emphasized use of the word “Transformers” at the end of each chorus stanza. :D

The visuals are a work of art, plain and simple. I love how it’s a Japanese Transformers theme song, yet it starts out with the English-language logo. To me, this is visual proof that the Transformers brand is recognized in Japan as an international name and not just as a domestic one to each country. This logo shoots out into the Micron Densetsu logo, which is then obscured by an initially illuminated Optimus Prime, who is then joined by silhouettes of his comrades that become colored in as their real selves.

Eight beams of light shoot forward into a galaxy, as the Autobots all run in space ("Of course! Don’t you know anything about SCIENCE?") with their insignia approaching from behind them. And surprisingly, the title logo reappears after this. But, it disappears one piece at a time, in perfect sync with the song’s beat. As it vanishes, it reveals Unicron in planet mode behind it.

Sideways transforms in space, while Tidal Wave combines with Megatron. Blurr, Side Swipe, and Scavenger all transform in fashions matched to the flow of the theme song, as do the three Mini-Con weapons. The five humans stand atop some kind of Cybertronian structure as several green energized Mini-Cons fly around both them and their protector: Perceptor.

Optimus is caught in an explosive battle on Unicron’s side. He seemingly slams Megatron to the ground (thought we don’t actually see the two make contact or even appear in the same frame together), then combines with Jetfire. We are then treated to a gorgeous view of a nine-square split screen of many characters performing various attacks, transformations, and poses.

The Matrix zooms out into the depths of space as Jet Optimus/Jet Convoy/Jet Prime/Jet Hawk/Jet Condor/Jet Swallow/Jet Owl/Jet Swan/Jet Icarus/Jet Garuda (whoops! Got carried away with the wrong series! :lol: ) flies out and poses for battle. Megatron+Tidal Wave flies up to engage him, and the two proceed to stare at each other... wait, what?

A great fire emits in space, as it takes the form of Unicron’s robot mode looming over Cybertron. As the song concludes, every cast member—Autobot, Decepticon, human, Sideways—come into view for a beautiful final shot. 8-)

But notice that this final shot is the only time in the sequence that we actually see Galvatron. All other scenes in this show him as Megatron instead. Still, ‘tis epic, nonetheless.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:30 pm

umm ...

i am actually impressed.
that shocks me lol. sabrblade i am actually speachless at the majisty of this theme compared to the actual series
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

lioconvoy wrote:umm ...

i am actually impressed.
that shocks me lol. sabrblade i am actually speachless at the majisty of this theme compared to the actual series
LOL. I figured that this song would spark up some controversy. This reaction of yours is priceless! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, I put a lot of thought into placing this song so high up. I judge each opening by their songs and sequences, and not by what series they were used for. Armada/Micron Densetsu may have been "average", but this song ROCKS! It could have been used for any other series and still would've made it around this high in the list.

Why, Beast Wars was epic, yet its first song was a cheesy, but catchy, rap song about how "war is bad". :P

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Six hours later and I can finally post the next one in the countdown.

2. " TRANSFORMERS EVO."

Amazing isn’t it; when a song so recent can top so many past ones that have had years and years to build up their legacies. Yet, this song toppled nearly all of the them (save for one, which we’ll get to eventually).

In actuality though, it was rather difficult for me to choose between this song and the previous one as to which was the superior song. Whereas that one was splendid beyond all reason, this one ultimately won out for it being just a smidge higher on the epic scale.

If there are two words that can be used to refer to this song, they would be “epic” and “glorious” (no Lugnut pun intended). This song is just ripe with epicness and glory! The chanting choir at the beginning starts off the song in a most elegant and majestic tone, with it immediately switching to a serious and powerful feel by the first lines of the first verse. It then kicks it up even further by adding in the other instruments in with the piano piece from before, which then remain in place for the remainder of the song.

All throughout the song is the beautiful sound of a high-pitched orchestral instrument (I wanna say that it’s of the string family) that gives the impression that this song is like a mix between a worship hymn and wild metal frenzy. Such oppositional blending in this case works, giving the song an extra level of ambitious splendor. 8-)

About midway through the first verse, the pacing increases and the intensity bottles up, ready to burst out with the chorus.

And that’s exactly what it does! With a cry of “Tatakae!” the chorus just blasts out at us, incorporating such Engrishy phrases as “Saa All I can do,” “And all you can do,” and the concluding “Touch and go!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYQxl4qFGp4

I don’t think there’s ever been a more wonderfully animated opening than these ones. I’m sure I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again. This. Opening. Is. GORGEOUS!!! Pure eye candy at its finest!

Though, there is one other thing to be said about this opening. It is astronomically insane! So much stuff happens in this sequence that completely beats the show’s main storyline into a pulp!

It starts in outer space, zooming past planet after planet. When we get to Earth, we meet the secret love child of Space Ghost and the Joker, as the title sequence (that totally *doesn’t* rip off the look of the live action movie logos) appears.

Blitzwing and Lugnut chase Starscream over an ocean. Tank Mode Purple Shockwave (Eeee! Purple Shockwave!) blasts himself out from underground with Lockdown driving ahead of him. Blackarachnia jumps down, transforms, flashes an image of Elita-1 over herself, and commands the Dinobots to charge forward.

Ratchet, BB, and Prowl transform and drive onward in New York. Bulkhead, Arcee, and Ironhi—(*spits drink*) WAIT A MINUTE!!! Arcee and Ironhide?! What are they doing there?!! Oh, right, this song defies logic and common sense. It’s all good now. :lol:

Jazz, Blurr, and Jerk Convoy appear in stunning art designs. Optimus stands his ground, as the other Autobots all pose triumphantly. He then transforms, drives forward, and Ultra Magnus stands in the shadows with the Orion ship flying into view overhead.

Next up, it’s the AllSpark fragment-infused Screamer vs. BB in Paris, Prowl vs. Lockdown in Osaka, Bulkhead vs. Lugnut (Yay!) on the Great Wall of China (though, the Moscow Kremlin is strangely there too), and Blitzwing in Egypt vs. Ironhide in Sydney (yep, complete and utter defiance of logic :mrgreen: ).

Arcee and Blackarachnia duke it out underwater (so, would that make it a wet cat fight? ;)) at what looks to be Atlantis, as do Ratchet and Longarm Prime (*SPOILERS!* Longarm is Shockwave :P).

The Starscream clones fly in the Batman: TAS-esque red sky with a ‘Con symbol in it, as Cybertron Mode Megatron appears with them and fires eye beams down at the Autobot Elite Guard in Washington D.C. But Optimus STOPS THE BLAST WITH HIS FIST and, with Ultra Magnus pounding his hammer into the ground to power him up, uses Burning Justice to fly up to Megatron (now in his Earth Mode and looking all spectral like) to pummel him.

At the end comes the most awesome family reunion portrait ever! Though, they must have shrunk Omega Supreme in the wash or something to get him to fit in work his ‘Bot buddies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8GDArLUf2E

In episode 13, the opening was modified just a bit to include many new sound effects accompanying the visuals of the sequence (as if it wasn’t awesome already ;)). Though, since there’s so many sounds added into this, I’ll just say that wherever there’s some form of action going on, there’s most likely been a sound added to it.

In other words, they’re everywhere! :shock: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRF045O98gM

Before I comment on this opening, note the message from Bumblebee, kids. We don’t want another Pokémon episode, er, “episode”. :lol:

Now to talk about the opening itself, starting with episode 17 (U.S. episode 18), the visuals in this opening were changed, but so were the lyrics! The main verse in this song is actually just the second verse of the full version, with the chorus being the second version as well. The only difference from the full version and this version here (aside from the running time) is the “Touch and go!” line used here instead of the “Get and Go!” line heard in its place within the full song.

As for the visual changes, after the underwater fight, instead of seeing the Screamer clones and Cybertron Mode Megs, we see Earth Mode Megs in his altmode hovering in the red sky. Soundwave transforms and jumps in front of him, followed by his Electrostatic avatar, who grabs and twirls Laserbeak around in his guitar mode. Swindle transforms and jumps forward with them, and after a close up of Swindle’s mug, Megatron is in his Robot Mode with a Blackout set at each of his sides. The two Blackouts transform as Megatron’s face zooms in and blasts the Elite Guard down at Washington.

Again, this is one CRAZY AWESOME opening theme!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ADDENDUM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueQA3QUO-eY

This time, Optimus reminds to not get seizures while watching the TV. I guess we’ll never get over what that Pokémon episode did to the Japanese. Anyway…

:lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-)

This version of the opening played in the final episode of the Japanese dub of Animated, and it is both hilarious and awesome! Like the singalong versions of the two Beast Wars Metals openings, this one is sung by the cast of the Animated’s dub. It isn’t as funny as those two other singalongs, but the sheer fact that they’re singing []this[/i] song makes it awesome!

Though, aside from the added singers, there are some unique differences between this version and the previous ones. This song uses the lyrics of the first version (the first verses), but the visuals of the third version (Earth Mode Megatron, the Soundwaves, the Blackouts, and Swindle).

All in all, this is a great way to finish off the Animated series in its finest.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:40 am

reminds me of something from final fanticy. uber supercharged epic, glorious one winged angel anyone? lol

nonsensical epic glorious screen shots and epic, glorious, praze megatron theme lol

there cant be one better than thisthere just cant
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:15 am

The time has come.

At long last, the wait is finally over. We have now come to reach the Number 1 Japanese Transformers Opening Theme Song. We’ve come a long way in these past two months, looking back on so many awesome songs from the years 1985 to those of today, spanning almost every animated series, movie, and OVA to ever come about in the Transformers franchise. This is truly a historic event. Though, not in a sense that this moment is one to be honored in future occasions, but in a sense that this moment is honoring most of the past songs of Transformers history. Out of all twenty-three Japanese openings, we have finally arrived at the big moment that several of us have been waiting for. It all comes down to this final ultimate moment.

And the Number 1 of the Top 20 Greatest Japanese Transformers Opening Themes is…

1. "Phat Planet"
From: Super Lifeform Transformers: Beast Wars Returns (Chō Seimeitai Transformer: Beast Wars Returns)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LqcL088Cr0

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, er, do note that the awkward singing/narrating in this particular opening does not occur in every episode. Each episode of Beast Wars Returns features an entirely different narration unique to that episode. It’s just that this video was the only one I could find of just the series opening. It just so happens that this had to be the opening to episode 14, where Optimus Primal and Megatron are “dead”, and thus this opening is making a joke at calling Optimus “Yvonco”, which is “Convoy” (Konboi), Optimus’ Japanese name, backwards (Ibonko).

As I’ve stated before, I am a fan of the Beast Era, so Beast Machines is included into that. And for the first and so far only time, the Japanese decided to do something drastically different with the opening to their dub of a Western Transformers series: they actually kept the U.S. opening song intact instead of coming up with their own.

Though, they did rework the visuals to their own choosing, with various clips from the show not used in the U.S. opening being inserted. Not to mention the one piece of new footage added in being the title card.

Psyche! :lol:

1. "TRANSFORMER ~Dream Again~"
From: Chō Robotto Seimeitai Transformers: Micron Densetsu (Super Robot Lifeform Transformers: Micron Legend)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADt85HEL-4

If the Japanese Animated opening was the epitome of all things epic, then this is the epitome of all things epic about the Transformers! This song alone is enough to make me wanna watch the Japanese version of Armada, Micron Densetsu. If it can do that by itself, it’s definitely a winner!

Immediately, this song lets us know that it is the definitive Japanese Transformers theme song, as it chants in loud, booming voices, “TRANSFORM!... TRANSFORM!” Followed up by the yelling of “Transformer tobitatsun da sono tsubasa de...!”

The electric guitar and drumming in this is just intense! It’s like an adrenaline rush in sound form, coupled with audio steroids and musical Red Bull. :P

The main verse is incredibly fast-paced, raging with energy and exhilaration! All throughout it, the words “Transformer” “It’s Too Late!” and “~More Than Meets The Eye!~” are calmly sung in the background, blending in with the more pumped-up main lines of the song. Some of the more loudly-sung Engrish lines would be “Story” (at the end of the second line of the first verse), “Destiny” (in the middle of the fourth line of the first verse), and “Get It Out!” (at the start of the fifth line of the first verse).

The chorus is the crown jewel of this song. It is most definitely the closest a Japanese Transformers theme song has ever come to resembling the traditional American Transformers theme song, especially with the repetition and heavy emphasis of the word “Transformer”.

Transformer! tobitatsun da sono tsubasa de
DREAM AGAIN! mō ichido sora wo mezase
Transformer! osoru na mae wo muite
DREAM AGAIN! densetsu ga yomigaeru made
Me no mae no sekai ga katachi wo kaeru
Transformer!

:geek: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

The imagery of this opening is BEAST! That’s right! This song makes Armada look slaggin’ BUTCH!!! :ugeek:

Flames erupt as the Autobot and Decepticon armies drive towards each other and the title card flashes for one instant. Megatron fires forward as Optimus transforms and ascends into the flaming heavens. The title card emerges into view again for real this time and then warps into a zoom in on Cybertron.

The Street Action Mini-Con Team appears as the Autobot and Decepticon symbols morph in the faces of the Optimus Prime and Megatron respectively. The two leaders engage each other as the Star Saber sword is formed and Hot Shot twirls it around. Starscream uses his sword as a scene transition (WOOT!), which cuts to the three kids and their Mini-Cons, who meet up with the other two kids, being chased by Cyclonus. Demolishor and Cyclonus Powerlink/x with Mini-Cons that aren’t their partners and Starscream and Megatron transform. Laserbeak flies down and Rad yells out, as the three Mini-Cons unite to form Perceptor, who leaps above high over Megatron.

The screen spilts into four screens of the four Autobots Powerlinking with their respective Mini-Cons, including the only anime appearance of Optimus’ Mini-Con OVER-RUN!!! Over-Run’s unlocked attack for Optimus is a bright glowing fist punch. In other words, it’s a Megat(r)on Punch. :P

Sparkplug links with Super Mode Optimus Prime, who fires off his guns. The Autobots drive through a swamp only to encounter themselves on the cliff above them… wait, what? :?:

The scene transitions to a look at each of the five kids. This is probably the lowest point in this opening, but the song is so good that it doesn’t bother me so much. Three beams of light shoot up and Hot Shot, Red Alert, and Jet Optimus/Convoy/Prime/John Doe/whatever (seriously, this guy has no real solid U.S. name!) fly out from them.

Megatron unearths himself on the Moon and transforms to Tank Mode. Three gorgeous pieces of artwork conclude this song. The first is of the Vehicle Mode Autobots and Decepticons facing each other in a desert, the second is the same shot but with them all in Robot Mode, and the third is pure epic winness: every character from the first half of the series locked in a cosmic battle on Earth with Cybertron looming in the center background.

And with that, it is over. I had fun, and I hope everyone else had fun too. Seeing as how we’ve come to the end of this countdown, I guess there isn't much else left to do.

Or, how about a live stage performance of this song by Psychic Lover itself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysPmzRjQz3Y

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:26 pm

what's next on your to do list sab? with a spectacular list complete and 3 themes left in the lurch, there cant be anything left to do exept maybe a list of the top 20 transformer figures or episodes lol
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:07 pm

lioconvoy wrote:what's next on your to do list sab? with a spectacular list complete and 3 themes left in the lurch, there cant be anything left to do exept maybe a list of the top 20 transformer figures or episodes lol
Well, tbh, I dunno. I was thinking that maybe I could talk about the three themes that ddin't make the list and explain why each didn't make it. Maybe.

Though, as for other lists, it was these three that I got my inspiration for this list from.

Though, I've yet to hear your feedback on the number 1 choice above. Whatd'ya think?

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:13 pm

e to say that number 1 is without a dout spectacular.
it embodies everything aboout transformers in an epic, thrilling, mindbogglingly spectacular way what captures your interest and leads perfectly in to the episodes.

honestly i couldn't have chosen a better number 1 slot
lioconvoy

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion