Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

A plot hole that I bet you haven't thought of

TF1, ROTF, DOTM

A plot hole that I bet you haven't thought of

Postby Wing Saber » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:29 pm

The Transformers speaking English
In the first one, Optimus claims that the Autobots have learned to speak English from the Internet. there are some problems
MEGATRON - He was frozen in ice all those years, and Internet wasn't around when he crashed, yet he speaks perfect English when he wakes
THE DYNASTY OF THE PRIMES - They died before English was spoken, yet, they spoke perfect English to Sam
ARCEE TWINS, SKIDS AND MUDFLAP, JOLT - at the end of TF1, Optimus sent a message to Autobots hiding in the stars in English. How would they have understood the language?
and the biggest problem...
SENTINEL PRIME - He awoke after being offline for generations, and within seconds was speaking perfect English

Now, you may say Im just being picky, all Transformers spoke English in the other cartoons, too
and I wouldn't be saying any of this, if Bay hadn't had a Cybertronian language in the films and said they learned to speak English through the Internet
Wing Saber

Re: A plot hole that I bet you haven't thought of

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Wing Saber wrote:MEGATRON - He was frozen in ice all those years, and Internet wasn't around when he crashed, yet he speaks perfect English when he wakes
While he was frozen, he could have been somewhat conscious enough to know what was going on around him. After all, Archibald Witwicky did reactivate him partially. Maybe Megs was aware of his surroundings and learned English by listening to his captors speak.

It also explains why his first spoken words after being frozen were "I am Megatron!", as though it were in response to his constantly being called "N.B.E.-01". ;)

F Prime wrote:THE DYNASTY OF THE PRIMES - They died before English was spoken, yet, they spoke perfect English to Sam
Don't forget that this was all in Sam's mind. Their spirits communicated with him in a way he could understand them. Plus being dead, they may have learned English in the afterlife, like how several Earth religions say that one will be given great knowledge after one dies and goes to Heaven.

F Prime wrote:ARCEE TWINS, SKIDS AND MUDFLAP, JOLT - at the end of TF1, Optimus sent a message to Autobots hiding in the stars in English. How would they have understood the language?
Several ways to explain this one. One could be that the message Optimus sent was indeed in the Cybertronian language, but that he verbally spoke it aloud in English to the movie audience for us to understand it. Like a translation. After all, when he was speaking it in the film, he wasn't shown to be sending it right then and there on screen. He could have physically sent the message in its non-English form off screen at a different point from when he looked out over the valley at the sunset.

F Prime wrote:and the biggest problem...
SENTINEL PRIME - He awoke after being offline for generations, and within seconds was speaking perfect English
Maybe the Matrix programmed English into him? It's one of those "quick fix to everything" kind of MacGuffins, after all. :lol:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:35 am

yeah look at bumblebee in the first movie(although when rotf came it was all car talk all the time)
ironrod prime

Postby cyberwuss » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 pm

being high capacity/bandwidth machines they could have just uploaded the cheat sheet in regular communication. Frenzy could have uploaded info to megatron while being defreezed. The dead primes are basically prophetic with psychic future telling powers, so who knows what those guys know. Sentinel agreed to meet megatron on earth BEFOREHAND hinting that both Megatron and Sentinel had been to earth before (as the fallen and his comrades had been to earth before along with the Primes) in ROTF it was explained that both worlds had met before and many transformers had been there for years, combined with the ability to upload the entire english language and all translations to anyone you would want to know it in .1 milliseconds or less it kind of takes care of any problems :p as far as arcee and the joiners who hadn't been to earth like the core optimus team of the story the translation could have been broadcast along with the transmission easily. Also in ROTF it is hinted at that humans may have known some cybertronian since they had it all over the ancient ruins. Also, most of us have thought of that plothole, hence why Bay put it in the movie, along with protoforms since the only thing in G1 that was different from earth mode was the alt mode on cybertron.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Return to Transformers - Movie Discussion