Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Revenge Of The Fallen Discussion

TF1, ROTF, DOTM

Revenge Of The Fallen Discussion

Postby CYLON (13) » Sun May 16, 2010 5:57 pm

What's up? Mods, I couldn't find the original thread for this. I'm sure I saw one but couldn't find it. Sorry. :)

I saw ROTF for the first time on Friday afternoon. I wanted to know what everyone thought of the film?

I thought it was pretty cool. I have read (on the web) that the movie wasn't widely liked, but honestly...I thought it was pretty freakin' cool.

And Megan Fox? darn, she's pretty. Rawr! :lol:

My only real complaints about the movie are that: it's difficult to really make out the robots during the acton sequences. :lol: They look like a big metalic blob with the camera moving so much, at least to me. I'm going to have to give it a few more viewings. :ugeek:

Also there wasn't enough of the Fallen in the pic.

Was this one of the movies that was affected by the writers strike? Even still, pretty entertaining movie.
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Re: Revenge Of The Fallen Discussion

Postby Wing Saber » Sun May 16, 2010 7:34 pm

CYLON (13) wrote:What's up? Mods, I couldn't find the original thread for this. I'm sure I saw one but couldn't find it. Sorry. :)

I saw ROTF for the first time on Friday afternoon. I wanted to know what everyone thought of the film?

I thought it was pretty cool. I have read (on the web) that the movie wasn't widely liked, but honestly...I thought it was pretty freakin' cool.

And Megan Fox? darn, she's pretty. Rawr! :lol:

My only real complaints about the movie are that: it's difficult to really make out the robots during the acton sequences. :lol: They look like a big metalic blob with the camera moving so much, at least to me. I'm going to have to give it a few more viewings. :ugeek:

Also there wasn't enough of the Fallen in the pic.

Was this one of the movies that was affected by the writers strike? Even still, pretty entertaining movie.

I loved it.
haha oh yes megan fox is pretty!
Wing Saber

Postby lioconvoy » Mon May 17, 2010 4:55 am

i loved rotf what a grate film.

megan fox is pritty yeah but why cant the film just be abouut the tfs rather than random humans.

i think i am one of the few that actually liked skids and mudflap. i think they are wanabes and thats what gives them comedic value.
the fallen was cool but why did prime have to kill him he was amazing.
was glad to see that starscream got mor screan time and megatron's form is pritty kick ass.
lioconvoy

Postby DocWho » Mon May 17, 2010 10:57 am

You all know how much I hate ROTF, so I'm going to spare you all my tirade about it.

Although I do defend the Bayformer designs. I've never understood the "I can't tell the robots apart" argument, I can tell the bright green robot apart from the bright yellow robot quite fine.

Polenicus wrote:Unicron.com are my HEROES.

Follow me on Twitter
DocWho

Postby Sabrblade » Mon May 17, 2010 12:15 pm

When I first saw ROTF, I thought it was the coolest, most awesome movie ever. Then I saw again, and still thought it was cool. Then the third time was in IMAX, so what was added in looked pretty sweet, but the film's overall coolness started to waver with me.

Now, I look back at ROTF and see that it could have been done a bit better.

One thing that I will forever defend about the movie is that, in places where the first movie failed, the second one suceeded. The first movie had so few robots, ROTF had many. The Deceptiocns had barely any charatcerization in the first film, but a much more decnt amount of it in the second. There were way too many main human charatcers over robot robot characters in the first movie, whereas ROTF focused more on the bots (even if it was mostly BB, Optimus, Skids, Mudflap, and Jetfire).

On the other hand, where this movie failed, the first suceeded too. The plot of the first movie seemed done better. The humor wasn't as crude or as forced in the first film (granted the first film did have some crude and forced humor in it, but just less of it than ROTF).

In regards to Skids, Mudflap, and Wheelie, when I first saw the movie, I thought they were hilarious (aside from their cussing and crudeness, that will never be funny). But now, they kinda bug me because they got most of the spotlight instead of some of some other, cooler looking characters like Sideswipe, Arcee, or even Jolt (all three of which I was looking forward to seeing charatcerized in this movie, but sadly had little screentime of such - Jolt never even spoke and appeared in Robot Mode only once or twice).

But my biggest gripe with ROTF is something that many would consider to be a very minor thing, but it it's a major problem in my book: the vulgarity. I cannot stress this enough. "Obscenity" =/= "Funny"! "Cussing" =/= "Funny"! They are both "Not Funny". And as the Nostalgia Critic taught us in his review of the Super Mario Bros. movie, "Not Funny" + "Not Funny" = "NOT SLAGGIN' FUNNY!!!"
  • The two dogs messing around was disturbing.
  • Sam's mom getting "high" was both dumb and time-consuming.
  • Some of Skids' and Mudflap's dialogue jokes were bothersome.
  • Simmons' full on exposed thong-clad butt was irritating and disgusting.
  • Jetifre "farting" a parachute was lame.
  • Wheelie on Mikaela's leg was stupid.
  • Devastator's wrecking ball scrotum was both pathetic and illogical (none of his components even have wrecking balls!).
All of these and more make up probably 10% of the movie's content, but that's still an unnecessary 10% that could have been used for plot progression, character development, action, drama, anything! Good humor is not something that can be forced, but is something that comes about naturally.

Other than that, the movie was an epic, action-packed, popcorn movie that's good for an evening of fun and thrills.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby cyberwuss » Tue May 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Like many people I could do without the cursing and vulgarity but the biggest thing I had to get over with RotF was the level of Robot on Robot violence and the amount of Robots dying. Mostly because I didn't have alot of access to the comic side of TF that portrayed that level of violence when I was growing up and was only used to the level of violence in the cartoon shows. After watching it several times on dvd it has really grown on me though and the shock factor of the violence level is alot lower once I realized it was geared more towards the comic book atmosphere than the cartoon show type. The speed of the action was a real problem for me too which is why I had to rewatch to many times to see what was going on, for example in theater I didn't even see that Optimus used a mortal kombat style fatality on the Fallen when he punches through his back and pulls his spark chamber out crushing it in his hand. I was pretty sad that ravage got skinned by bumblebee but like I said the movie has grown on me the more I've watched it and I think when you take both movies into account and striped out the vulgarity (like if they made a censored version for broadcast tv) it would be near flawless. I think most of the "errors" people see with the film like the abyss in the ocean they drop megatron into not being actually the deepest on earth and having the desert outside of the smithsonian can be explained away by saying that it is obviously an alternate universe and a different earth than ours that is merely similar since (and this is the biggest reason really) it is after the year 2000 and no one has ever heard of Transformers and they aren't collecting the figures there and all. That was most of the problems aside from the skids and mudflap controversy that people stated with the film and once you lay that down about 90 percent of the technical errors with the movie are gone. I don't go to transformers movies to see a chick flick though and so I don't expect that fromo them especially considering the history of michael bay action movies and though I can see how some people would be offended by the twins, I am really not and think there is alot of racial paranoia out there that anytime something happens that can in any way be viewed as not politically correct it will be by a great majority of people. I think though that it would have been alot better accepted without the vulgarity and twins personality it would have been ALOT more popular than it was. In all I compare bayformers with ghostbusters movies, another of my favorites and movies that aren't popular or are considered nerdy and can still have a cult following like Big Trouble in Little China and some genres of halloween time of the year movies. So to sum up the bggest problems I think the movie had are:

1.too much vulgarity even though in the 80s this was not a problem (robocop, terminator, so forth cursed and vulgared ALOT more than RotF)
2.racial/social paranoia, people afraid that twins were racist or that they would be perceived as nerdy for watching the movie and the politically correct leanings of the world today.
3.too many guys that used to be fans of the franchise getting whipped or totally owned by their spouse or partner telling them to get a life and not be such a fan of transformers even though they themselves probably are couch potatos watching too many chick flicks LOL.

Out of all those the nerd paranoia one bothers me the most because I think nerds are in general much better rolemodels than meatheaded athletes, gnerally speaking (Optimus prime over tiger woods/OJ simpson/Ben Rothlwhoever any day.) This is because those type of rolemodels tend to spit out people who are stuck up or have too much pride in themselves.

That is pretty much everything I've said in the past about RotF in less words (scary that this post will be smaller than what I've said before)

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin to it!
cyberwuss

Return to Transformers - Movie Discussion