Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Sentinel Prime was a great(-ish) man

TF1, ROTF, DOTM

Sentinel Prime was a great(-ish) man

Postby OptimusPhillip » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Why does everyone rail on Sentinel Prime in DOTM? He is not really a traitor, he made a deal with the enemy to save the planet and possibly end the war. Isn't that like a truce? Megatron doesn't even get to rule, he's just Sentinel's [word 12-year-old is uncomfortable with] Yeah, he betrayed the implied Autobot code of honor and tried to enslave humanity, but still! Leave a reply telling me if you think Sentinel did what you would have minus the slavery.
Check me out on YouTube! I'm primarily a toy reviewer, but don't be surprised when a movie review or any other random video crops up.
https://www.youtube.com/user/OptimusPhillip
OptimusPhillip

Re: Sentinel Prime was a great(-ish) man

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:25 pm

He betrayed all that he originally stood for and believed in as a Prime, all that was symbolic to the very nature of being an Autobot: That all life is sacred and should be preserved at all costs.

In essence, he betrayed his own teachings, ideals, and ethical standards.

It's like if George Washington, after serving his term as President, suddenly plotted to attack other nations on behalf of the United States, in hopes to expand the U.S. territory by conquest, believing it to be a glorious and just cause, when such methods would be the exact opposite of all that he accomplished to help make the U.S. what it had become, and would turn Washington into a hypocrite and traitor to all that he had stood for.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:37 am

optimus said it best when he said
" you didn't betray us sentinel you betrayed yourself"
ironrod prime

Postby OptimusPhillip » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Sabrblade wrote:He betrayed all that he originally stood for and believed in as a Prime, all that was symbolic to the very nature of being an Autobot: That all life is sacred and should be preserved at all costs.

In essence, he betrayed his own teachings, ideals, and ethical standards.

It's like if George Washington, after serving his term as President, suddenly plotted to attack other nations on behalf of the United States, in hopes to expand the U.S. territory by conquest, believing it to be a glorious and just cause, when such methods would be the exact opposite of all that he accomplished to help make the U.S. what it had become, and would turn Washington into a hypocrite and traitor to all that he had stood for.

Okay, I'll give you that, working with Megatron corrupted him, but I'm sure Sentinel wasn't planning on that when he first asked Megatron for help, and I think he made some bad choices, but he's not a bad man.
Check me out on YouTube! I'm primarily a toy reviewer, but don't be surprised when a movie review or any other random video crops up.
https://www.youtube.com/user/OptimusPhillip
OptimusPhillip

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:10 pm

the road to hell is paved with good intentions
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:16 pm

OptimusPhillip wrote:Okay, I'll give you that, working with Megatron corrupted him, but I'm sure Sentinel wasn't planning on that when he first asked Megatron for help, and I think he made some bad choices, but he's not a bad man.
I haven't read Foundation yet, so I'm still a little iffy on the details, but based on the movie the deal between them seemed to come out of desperation, rather than rationality, for Sentinel. It seemed like he was willing to take the more easy way out rather than try for a better solution that works out for the benefit of everyone, not just Cybertronians, like what Optimus was trying for.

Optimus embraced more Egalitarian ideals ("the means justify the end"), while Sentinel fell to embrace more Utilitarian ideals ("the end justifies the means").
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:55 am

Seninel was the one who taught Optimus that Freedom is the right of ALL sentient beings, so to try and slave humanity was betraying his ideals
Wing Saber

Postby Agent X » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:37 am

"It is better to die a hero than to live long enough to become the villain "

Combine that with "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

and you get Sentinel Prime
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Return to Transformers - Movie Discussion