Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Transformers: Age of Extinction - first reactions thread

TF1, ROTF, DOTM

Transformers: Age of Extinction - first reactions thread

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:26 am

Discuss your first reactions of the movie here.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: Transformers: Age of Extinction - first reactions thread

Postby Galvatron's #1 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:57 am

It was almost like Spider-Man 3 with so many villains with their own unique plans, but unlike spider man 3 it actually worked in this movie. Way more focus on the actual transformers and they finally had a significant number of speaking lines. Great movie!
"Coronation", Starscream? This is bad comedy.
Galvatron's #1

Postby Lynaxx Pax » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:49 am

See how much better a movie can be when you replace constantly screaming idiots with Markie Mark, competent actors and youtubers! Oh and John Goodman. 25/10 :mrgreen: :!: And a villian with such personality. and a firebreathing T-Rex. ok 35/10
Lynaxx Pax

Postby overhaul » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:30 pm

I enjoyed it more than the others, and while I think the human characters are an improvement, I still think we needed more focus on the Transformers... but with Extinction it at least looks like we getting a bit more of that. Still, plenty of questions: what are Grimlock and the Dinobot's origins here? I think it's implied that they attempted to "Cyber-form" earth eons ago, thus killing off the dinosaurs, but why the need for dino-modes? Is Bumble Bee now speaking for himself? That wasn't clear. Characters weren't fleshed out too well. Grimlock seemed like a dumb beast... wasn't sure if he talked.
I'm not sure about Optimus's giving up on humanity attitude early on. I'd like to get more into what the human versions of the transformers who "morph" rather than transform are about. I suspect the human versions are more erratic and unreliable. We obviously saw Hound and Bumble Bee mop the floor with a ton of them. I did like bringing in a new villian for this film, though. Megatron wasn't the main focus, and they should have done something a little more like this in the earlier on; setting up Megatron (er... Galvatron) to be the big threat later on.
All in all, I think it was better than the others, but still needs some improving.
Also, who else kept thinking of Hound as Ironhide? And I am glad they got Frank Welker as Galvatron... albeit, maybe it would have been more appropriate if they had Leanard Nimoy do that?
overhaul

Postby Autobot Jazz » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Always crushed to see an Autobot die. Jazz's death bummed me out but Ratchet's death was brutal. I liked Frank Welker's casting and John Goodman as Hound was pretty cool. Like I said in the other post, I think Optimus Prime's lines weren't really Optimus Prime things to say. Over all I still don't care for the live action movies but I'm a little interested in a fifth movie only to see if the Quintessons are Optimus Prime's creators.
Any species that can come up with a sweet ride like this can't be all bad.
Autobot Jazz

Postby perceptor » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:36 am

Oh my goodness, the critics had it wrong, Wrong, WRONG! This is the best live Transformers film, by FAR! While I'm not going to sit here and say it was a perfect film, I am going to say I like it. I like it A LOT!

Many many comments and thoughts:

1.) Bay has said that Lockdown's ship is significant. EVERYTHING about that ship, screams UNICRON! He's got the mouth claws, that point skyward. He has similar looking claws on the Earth facing portion of the ship which WOAH open to form a tractor beam!!!! The "front" or fore portion of the ship has two giant claw looking things... Also like the pinchers... BEST of all, it can be TOTALLY left up to the imagination. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. But speculation can begin NOW for the next 4 years until Transformers 5 and 6 come out...

2.) As a Lukis Brother founder of Unicron.com, I was more than a little stoked that they named one of the primary characters "Lucas." Yeah, I know it probably wasn't an official nod to us directly, but I still thought it was awesome, (even if he does get turned into ash by Lockdown! Can't think of a much better way to die in film! :)

3.) What I did NOT like about each of the previous films, is that there's virtually nothing left to the imagination. At the end of DotM, EVERY Decepticon dies! A neat little bow to tie around the story, as if to say, there "It is done." Blah! Here it's totally different. I just watched the film and I now have more questions than answers! AWESOME! Finally, something to peaque my, and other fan's imaginations for at least the next several years to come.

4.) New take on Optimus. In previous films, I have despised hearing Optimus so out of character saying things like "Kill them all!" etc... Here watching Optimus lose faith in humanity was a plot point. Look, I understand why Optimus is pissed at humans. I would be too. But to turn his anguish into an opportunity for character development... Made me really care about if/how Optimus would turn around. Well done Ehren Krueger!

5.) The Autobot team. In previous films, the Autobots are a well-oiled machine of combat precision and harmony. Here, this is a rag-tag group of misfits. When they're not busy battling Decepticons, they bicker, celebrate, squabble, argue... Etc, etc. We see their personality!!!!! THIS is what we've been waiting for!

5a) Bulkhead: Look people, we just have to get over the fact that this isn't supposed to be G1 Hound. He's not Bulkhead either. - - Quite honestly, if they named him Bulkhead, I think people would've been more upset, because Bulkhead actually had a personality -and we only saw teeny tiny glimpses of personality of G1 Hound. And that was thirty years ago! I actually think people would be more upset at the departure from Bulkhead's cartoon self. Hound in film was great. I LOVED that he could show reverence, show respect for his commanding officer (Optimus) - just like a real soldier would, by taking off his helmet in the presence of Optimus Prime. That was just awesome. And John Goodman as a Transformer! GREAT casting!

5b) Bumblebee. Even though he still didn't speak, we saw more of his personality in this film than the previous three films combined. I loved the little fit he threw when listening to the company line about Stinger being Bumbebee, but better in every way... NOW Bumblebee has a nemesis; and it is Stinger! (Get it, like a piece of an actual Bumblebee, a STINGER?! I can't believe I didn't catch this before, or all the similarities sooner! And...) I can't wait to see this conflict develop in future films

5c) Drift: the team's token Asian persona. I loved his moment, "Use violence as a last resort." Then, immediately slash/kill that weird alien thing on Lockdown's ship... What I don't get is, was he a triple changer or did he just randomly change his alt forms? I swear we saw him as a helicopter at first. Then we saw him as a car, then we saw him as a helicopter again then back as a car later... hmmmm

5d) Crosshairs. He was interesting. I'm not as sold on him as I was on others, but still likeable and had his moments as well. He's, a good figher/marksman I guess...

Alright, I better quit or there's no WAY you'll continue reading!
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby perceptor » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:37 am

Alright, I'm sorry. I have more I need to say! ...

Let's talk about the Dinobots. No, I wasn't thrilled that we didn't see them until 4/5 of the way into the film. - - Actually, I should note that my 8-year old son pointed out something I didn't or wouldn't have caught without him. Early on Optimus was a prisoner Bay was panning around the other captives in Optimus ship and he tapped me on the shoulder and said, "DAD! That was Grimlock there hanging upside-down...) So actually we saw the Dinobots quite a bit earlier, we just didnt' know it.

Okay, here's the thing. My brothers were supremely disappointed that Bay gave virtually no explanation as to why they turned into Dinobots. My response to them was: "who cares?!" The fact is, the Dinobots have had their origin told different ways, for just about every series. None of those explanations made a ton of sense:
G1 cartoon: Ratchet and Wheeljack make robot dinosaurs, presumably from scratch.
G1 comics: were a group of robots aboard the Ark when it crashed
G2 comics: Grimlock and Snarl were awakened in Brazil
There were the Beast Machines Dinobots origin told in Transformers Universe comics
TF:Animated: Grimlock... was created from Allspark energy combines w/ Earth animatronic dinosaurs at a park
Fall of Cybertron: they were the result of experiments by mad-scientist Shockwave...

Which origin would you want Bay to match? Would you want him to write up another explanation? I don't think so! The fact that they left it up to the imagination is GREAT! Maybe these guys, these "knights" were alt forms from another planet, hence the two-headed Pteranodon. It's fine with me.

My big fear is that they would be portrayed as ONLY animal level intelligence - or drones, or spark-less... The result is that you can think of them however you want. Just because they didn't have lines, doesn't mean they cannot speak. Maybe we just didn't get the opportunity to hear them.

I'm very glad they didn't all die at the end of the film! These former prisoners, became free and the film ends with them able to just walk away: to me PERFECT! ...

Of course, I certainly would rather have heard Greg Berger yell, "Me Grimlock!" but who knows. Maybe we'll get to hear it in TF 5 or 6. Here's hoping.
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby perceptor » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:40 am

buccinator wrote:Here's the thing, we DID NOT see him die! Lockdown extracted his spark (even made a huge explanation about the nature of a Transformers spark/soul...) I think Ratchet is coming back in TF5 or 6. He did not die! Lockdown took his spark! = OPEN TO INTERPRETATION!

Super interesting idea. Yeah, I would like this a lot. Hope you are right!
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby Autobot Jazz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:20 am

perceptor wrote:

5.) The Autobot team. In previous films, the Autobots are a well-oiled machine of combat precision and harmony. Here, this is a rag-tag group of misfits. When they're not busy battling Decepticons, they bicker, celebrate, squabble, argue... Etc, etc. We see their personality!!!!! THIS is what we've been waiting for!

I like this point very much Perceptor. I think that's what made the characters in 4 more likable for me. I wasn't too sold on Crosshairs but I honestly enjoyed Hound. I never thought I would enjoy a character from the movie series. I just ordered the toy. Haha.
Any species that can come up with a sweet ride like this can't be all bad.
Autobot Jazz

Postby buccinator » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:32 am

The critics are dumb. I'm still geeking out about this movie. You know what else I LOVED: Frank Welker as Galvatron!!! beast to the MAX! Loved every second of his screen time. Open ended ending means more to come. Absolutely awesome!
Carpe Diem
buccinator

Next

Return to Transformers - Movie Discussion