Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Transformers (ongoing) issue #1

Comics, Novels, Reference Books - anything TF related in print

Transformers (ongoing) issue #1

Postby perceptor » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:31 pm

Just got and read my copy of the next incarnation of Transformers, the "ongoing series," #1. It's easy to imagine that what we see here could be a glimpse into the future of Transformers. That is, G1 characters, in classic form with a Bay-movie aesthetic.

I think this makes sense in that there can be overlap. (Unlike what happened between movie and Animated toys...) This theme taps into fans love of the classic characters (and Classics toys) and will allow Hasbro the ability to make toys (recolors?) of movie toys in a G1 theme that older fans will appreciate, but given that movie aesthetic... That's my take.

What did you think of the comic itself and how would you feel if this were the (foreseeable) future of Transformers?
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Re: Transformers (ongoing) issue #1

Postby Mainframe » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Picked it up today and went through it. Good intro story. That's the painful part. It's going to be at least 4-5 issues before significant action begins. AHM is still one of the best story archs ever. That one took a while too. Here's hoping this one is as good or better.

I'm choosing to ignore the style for now. According to what I've seen, there could be some switch outs occasionally for artists so it'll adjust anyway.

Now to wait until next month for #2 and the Bumblebee series. And on for the Wreckers!!!
Mainframe

Postby perceptor » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:14 am

The Wrecker's series has me quite fired up. Can't wait for that one. Not sure why, but the Bumblebee story is doesn't.
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby overhaul » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:38 pm

So, just got my copy (had to order it over E-bay).
Initial thoughts: I am mostly a fan of the new art style (I was one of those who really liked it when I first saw it), but I prefer the more toon style faces (not too toony, like some artist do, Dons' regular faces are just fine). I also prefer the blocky fingers the characters have been having since DW started with the series. And then, Optimus's truck mode leaves much to be desired... looks too much like a kids imagining of a truck. In fact, it made me think of the Powermaster toy...
ANd some characters look a little too overdone with the new style, and chief of those being HotRod. I wouldn't have recognized him had he not had a tag naming him, and had I not saw pics leaked out months before, and had to puzzle over who he was.
Art aside, it is a good intro. And like Mainframe said, it seems like it'll take a little time for some action to start (although I don't think 4-5 issues). Reminds me of G1 Volume 1 from DreamWave when they got the title and introduced their new comic. A lot of V1 was build up, with the first issue being teasers here and there, seeing parts of the Transformers from this angle and that, until the final payoff at the end of the issue, a full shot of the offline Optimus Prime in a hanger.
Anyway... Megatron dead? I don't remember that. Last I head of him from AHM, he was on life support inside of Astrotrain.
So maybe Megs is still kicking, but the Autobots are just assuming he's dead by getting shot with a big gun in the face (btw, where did Spike get that gun? Someone said it belonged to a transformer who had it for a hand, and I assume they mean Shockwave, but Shockwave was fully reassembled in Maximum Dinobots).
overhaul

Postby overhaul » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:04 pm

Wow, are we the only three guys at this site that read the comics?
overhaul

Postby Agent X » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:53 pm

no, i just wait of the graphic novels
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby Mainframe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:38 pm

I've been very happy with this series overall. Things seem to be picking up a bit now that the Bumblebee series is over, Prime is back in the picture, and the Autobots aren't cowering (it wasn't a pretty picture and really slowed the story down).

The art style seems to be a bit more mainstream now. I'm glad to see that. I was having to ignore the art and just concentrate on the story. I feel I can enjoy both now.

On to #9. Enter the Combaticons.
All said and done, I thought this was a pretty disappointing issue. Nothing terribly new happened. The Combaticons (3 of them! A fourth was mentioned showing up off screen) played only an entry role. That being said, this issue set things up to have issue #10 be a all out battle issue. I'm looking forward to it.
Mainframe

Return to Transformers - Comic & Book Discussion