Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

My digital comics rediscovery

Comics, Novels, Reference Books - anything TF related in print

My digital comics rediscovery

Postby blukis » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:51 am

I once called myself a comic collector, and a while back (toward the end of the Dreamwave era) it just got too much for me and I quit completely, cold turkey. I stopped buying & reading comics altogether.

But when IDW went digital, I picked it back up again (freed from having to be careful with the crease, packaging, storing...). I went back and read All Hail Megatron (really liked it). I read it all on the ipad -- with a screen about big enough to stand-in for real comic pages. (It's not quite as big as a real comic, but with the easy zooming, it's really not too bad.)

With the advent of IDW's new software partner, comiXology, reading on something much smaller, like my phone (mine's an android - which wasn't previously supported at all), became an option. (They have a special viewing mode for small screens like that, which shows you panel-at-a-time, not page-at-a-time.) At first, I was thinking, "well, that's obviously dumb and hokey." Then, I re-read a comic with it, and I thought "that's actually, surprisingly not bad, for a phone."

Then I picked up the on-going series, starting at the beginning of Chaos, and I just finished Chaos. I read about half of these issues on my phone, despite having ready access to my ipad. (Admittedly, I recently got a new phone. It's awesome, and I'm generally in love with it.) It's weird. I honestly don't know which comic reading experience I prefer, even though the phone screen is so much smaller. The panel-at-a-time mode is really neat. It makes you appreciate each panel more, where seeing the whole page, it's sometimes too easy to fly through the panels too fast, and under-appreciate them. The panel mode has a way of sucking you in, that I really wasn't expecting.

It kind of makes me wonder what it's might be like to read in panel mode on something a bit bigger, like the new Kindle...

Has anyone else tried reading on the comixology app? Am I all alone? What are your experiences?
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Re: My digital comics rediscovery

Postby CYLON (13) » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:27 pm

I use to like buying comics on a regular basis, too. Eventually, money and storage space became an issue; so I had to quit collecting (I like to think of it as an extended break, which I've done before).

Recently, I've decided to buy collected editions exclusively. This way I don't have to worry about how/where I store them so much (I don't mind if a trade paperback gets a little beat up; it gives it character! :P ) and the monthly cash saved could be applied to actual living expenses.

Anyway, digital is an option I've also been thinking about. I'm not really a "computer/tech person", per se; so I have the space for it (at least, I should). Digital's available for pc's also, right?

Glad to hear that not holding an actual paper copy doesn't deter from the experience.

This may be a silly question:

Do the comics hold up in awesomeness compared to the tv shows? TF has been a franchise I hold near and dear to my heart for years (since I was a wee lad), but it's never really drawn my attention off-screen.
I know the artwork is pretty boss, but story-wise...is the Dreamwave series just as cool? Was there only one Dreamwave series?
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Postby Unicron fan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:07 pm

In my opinion, the stories in the comics are way better than those in the shows. That is because in the comics, all characters get great character development as well as a great background for all of them :grin:
Unicron fan

Postby CYLON (13) » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:40 pm

That does sound very cool. Maybe, I'll give 'em a try.

Unicronfan, do you buy digital comics?
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Postby blukis » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:48 pm

I hadn't read anything from IDW, and my brothers recommended the All Hail Megatron mini-series, because it's a good story, and a good way to get reintroduced to the "IDW-verse". I agree it was a great story arc, and as Unicron Fan said, you really get into the characters a lot more. The only trouble is, the universe it's set in is _completely independent_ of everything else, and is really its own thing.

I can't recommend the (1st) on-going series too much, but Chaos (the last number of issues) was decent, though a bit different. The Death of Optimus Prime (though it might seem like a finale) is perhaps another recommendable place to start again. It seems to kick off the next (2) ongoing series. (I haven't started either yet.) Unfortunately, these newer ones are twice the price as the older ones that preceded last month's price hike. On the bright side, you can still read the old ones at the old prices.

I have never tried checking out a comic on a computer until literally just now. IMHO, the computer experience really pales to reading it on a tablet or a phone. (There's something about sitting on the couch and reading a thing you hold, even if that's a device with a screen.) Maybe that's just me.
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Postby Unicron fan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:32 am

CYLON (13) wrote:Unicronfan, do you buy digital comics?

No, I don't. All of my comics are those that are either paperback or hardback. :)

By the way; Unicron is extremely scary in the comics. 8-)
Unicron fan

Return to Transformers - Comic & Book Discussion