Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Where to start...

Comics, Novels, Reference Books - anything TF related in print

Where to start...

Postby Wing Saber » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Well, I'm looking to start reading comics, but I don't know where to start... IDW, Marvel, Dreamwave? G1? Beast Wars? Armada? Another non-show series? Let me know where you think I should start!
Wing Saber

Re: Where to start...

Postby skywarp408 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:04 pm

I'd say Marvel. They were the first, so why not :grin:
skywarp408

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:11 am

Ho boy, the billion dollar question. :lol:

Wing, my boy, where to start, indeed! I guess the best way I can answer this is by asking you some questions. How MUCH are you wanting to read? How far are you willing to go to read it all? How much time and effort are you willing to put into this? Cuz, dude, if you thought there were a lot of TF cartoons out there, there's at least twice as many comic series out there. In a nutshell, there has been at least one or two Transformers comic series running for every year of the franchise's existence ever since the beginning in 1984... except for the years of the Beast Era and RiD (there was a break in the running of ongoing TF comic series between G2 and Armada, with only a few BotCon comics to fill in that gap).

Though, while it does seem overwhelming and a little intimidating to any comic newcomer, the pay off cane be well worth it.

I would give you a rundown of all the comics out there, but I think it would eb more feasible to link to the Comics page on TFWiki since they provide a better overview of each comic series than I ever could. Though, their list of ocmic ocmpanies is in alphabetical order, so I will at leats put these in a more chronologicla order to show who came first and such with their TF comics:
  • Marvel Comics
  • Marvel Comics UK
  • Fleetway
  • Blackthorne Publishing
  • 3H Productions
  • Dreamwave Productions
  • Panini Comics
  • Devil's Due Press
  • Fun Publications
  • IDW Publishing
  • Titan Books

Of those, the most important ones are probably Marvel, IDW, and arguably Dreamwave, 3H, and Fun Pub.

With me being the uber aficionado I am, I'm currently on a personal mission to read as many TF comics as I possibly can. Though, with me also not having a bottomless pit for a wallet, I took a less legal route of downloading a TON of TF comic scans that had been made and acquired by various people over the years. In no less than about four torrents, I downloaded scans of nearly every TF comic and prose story ever produced from 1984 to 2010 (minus a few things that I'll have to track down later), including things even like Japanese comics (manga) that have been translated into English and even some fanfiction that I wasn't expecting to come in the bundle. And, yes, I do still have everything I've downloaded. ;)

In addition to the above, I've also read some scanlated (meaning scanned and translated) Japanese manga material that sites like TFArchive.com and Allspark.com have archived. TFwiki has also helped me with the Japanese stuff with their having some source material archive on their site as well.

Now, all this isn't to say that I've only been going about reading comics the *cough*illegal*cough* way, as I have been acquiring some physical comics and books for a while now. Those animated ones I linked to you in your "Disappointment" thread are a few, as well as having bought things like the TF: Prime graphic novel comic from Barnes and Noble back when they had it, and the War for Cybertron comic from the secondary market online. And the IDW Beast Wars omnibus I got as a birthday gift, and a few pack-in comics that came with some toys.

But, when it comes to my going after full ongoing series, I'm targeting the current IDW reprints the original Marvel U.S. and Marvel UK G1 comics, as well as the hardcover collections of the main IDW G1 comics. The former two I've been either buying myself or have requested as birthday/Christmas gifts, while the latter I've only gotten as holiday gifts. They may be a bit pricey, but they're
  • much cheaper and easier to target than going after all the individual issues
  • more manageable with them being collected volumes instead of individual issues
  • coming out at a steady pace, thus not needing to be bought all at once

In this ambitious comic-reading objective of mine, I started with Marvel G1, specifically the U.S.-only material. Then I moved on to Marvel G2, then to the Marvel UK stuff (including rereading what I had already read in the U.S. stuff), and then Fleetway G2 (which was a sequel to Marvel UK G1). Then I read translations of some German G1 stories (which were WEIRD), then I read Blackthorne G1. Then as much Japanese G1 stuff I could find translated into English. Then the 3H Beast Era stories. Then Dreamwave G1, then the brief stuff Dreamwave wrote for Beast Wars and RiD, then the pack-in comics Dreamwave wrote for Armada and Energon, and finally Dreamwave Armada. My next step is Dreamwave Energon.

Others I read are the IDW Animated comics (which are in canon with the cartoon), a few select Movieverse IDW comics (which I need to reread since I wasn't really paying that close attention to them the first around), the IDW Beast Wars comics, the pack-in "Optimus Primal vs. Megatron" BW comic, the Prime graphic novel, the WFC one-shot comic, the Micron Densetsu "Linkage" manga scanlated, the Reveal the Shield "Rodimus vs. Cyclonus" pack-in comic, and some other stuff I'm probably not remembering.

And, despite all that, i still have a LONG way to go. :lol:

skywarp408 wrote:I'd say Marvel. They were the first, so why not :grin:
Agreed.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:51 pm

Sabrblade wrote:How MUCH are you wanting to read? How far are you willing to go to read it all? How much time and effort are you willing to put into this?

1. I'll start out with one series and see where it goes from there
2. See answer 1
3. I don't have a lot of time to put into, being in High School honors classes as well as Cross Country and Theater, but I still have some time to sit down and read a couple times a week. I don't care if it takes me a long time to finish reading the comics, As long as I get 'em read.

I'd probably want to start with a more modern series, like most likely 2000s and after, but I'm open to anything
I guess the best question would be... Which comic series is your all time favorite? And does it continue off another comic series?
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:58 pm

Current my favorite is Marvel G1.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Current my favorite is Marvel G1.

Any idea where/how I can get these for cheap?
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Wing Saber wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Current my favorite is Marvel G1.

Any idea where/how I can get these for cheap?
The reprint volumes IDW is currently releasing. They've put out three so far.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Sabrblade wrote:The reprint volumes IDW is currently releasing. They've put out three so far.

And thos will be in just any old comic book store?
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Wing Saber wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:The reprint volumes IDW is currently releasing. They've put out three so far.

And thos will be in just any old comic book store?
Or at a bookstore. And only if said comic book store/bookstore has them in stock.

I bought one of mine at a local Barnes and Noble, and the rest I got off Amazon.com (my local comic book store specifically does not carry TF comics :( ).

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm thinking I'm going to start with the IDW G1 continuity
Wing Saber

Next

Return to Transformers - Comic & Book Discussion