Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Where to start...

Comics, Novels, Reference Books - anything TF related in print

Re: Where to start...

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 am

Wing Saber wrote:I'm thinking I'm going to start with the IDW G1 continuity
Where in, exactly? They've had several jumping-on points with just about each of their series in that continuity.

Like, there's the beginning, that started with all the Simon Furman-penned "-tion" series.

Then there was their first big "reboot" of sorts, "All Hail Megatron".

Then the second big so-called "reboot", the 7-volume 31-issue ongoing series.

Then finally the two current ongoing series "Robots in Disguise" and "More Than Meets The Eye".

Plus several other mini-series released between and concurrently with each of these.

I myself haven't gotten to reading the IDW G1 comics yet, but I have been the large hardcover collection volumes that compile all of it together in a modified "suggested reading order" so that I have the mto read once I get to them. Though, each volume is a bit expensive, so I've mostly taken to acquiring them via Christmas and birthday requests over time. ;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby CYLON (13) » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:48 am

I wanted to mention this earlier:
The hardcovers have been re-issued or something. They're not too badly priced over at the 'Zon (Amazon), most have the free shipping offer. The first one is about $39 and they vary around that price.

I ordered the best of Starscream collection (IDW) from the 'Bay (ebay) for a pretty good price. Got free shipping, too! :grin:
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Postby Wing Saber » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Where in, exactly? They've had several jumping-on points with just about each of their series in that continuity.

Like, there's the beginning, that started with all the Simon Furman-penned "-tion" series.

Then there was their first big "reboot" of sorts, "All Hail Megatron".

Then the second big so-called "reboot", the 7-volume 31-issue ongoing series.

Then finally the two current ongoing series "Robots in Disguise" and "More Than Meets The Eye".

Plus several other mini-series released between and concurrently with each of these.

I myself haven't gotten to reading the IDW G1 comics yet, but I have been the large hardcover collection volumes that compile all of it together in a modified "suggested reading order" so that I have the mto read once I get to them. Though, each volume is a bit expensive, so I've mostly taken to acquiring them via Christmas and birthday requests over time. ;)

I was planning to go...
Infiltration
Stormbringer
Escalation
Devastation
Revelation
All Hail Megatron
Maximum Dinobots
The Transformers
The Transformers: Bumblebee
Last Stand of the Wreckers
Ironhide
Drift
The Death of Optimus Prime
More than Meets the Eye
Robots In Disguise
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:42 am

Some of those run alongside one another or before others.

There's also the New Avengers/Transformers mini-series and Infestation that are part of this. ;)

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:57 am

Sabrblade wrote:Some of those run alongside one another or before others.

Yes, but I wanted to read them in the order of release, as that was the intended order
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:07 am

Wing Saber wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Some of those run alongside one another or before others.

Yes, but I wanted to read them in the order of release, as that was the intended order
Well, Bumblebee, Ironhide, LSOTW, and Drift all came out during the ongoing series, which also finished long after them all even though it started before them. So, they might need to be read between the different volumes of the ongoing series.

Also, forgot Megatron Origin. :oops:

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Agent X » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:31 pm

You also forgot the Spotlights, Avengers/Transformers, and Autocracy :oops:

I suggest:

Megatron Origin
Autocracy
Spotlight vol 1
Infiltration
Stormbringer
Escalation
Devastation
Avengers/Transformres
Spotlight vol 2 and 3
Revelation (Spotlight vol 4)
Maximum Dinobots
Drift
All Hail Megatron
The Transformers vol
The Transformers: Bumblebee
Last Stand of the Wreckers
Ironhide
The Transformers vol 2-4
Transformers Infection
The Transformers vol 5-7
More than Meets the Eye
Robots In Disguise

The Death of Optimus Prime is inclued in vol 1 of MTMTE
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby Wing Saber » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Tried to get them on black friday, but the only comic book store I found was closed
Wing Saber

Postby Unicron fan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Also, Wing Saber; You may want to look up on some comics involving Unicron. This is so that you can get a better insight on the stuff involving Unicron in your RPG as I play him according to the comics then possible. :)

Among those are;

"Legacy of Unicron"
The 15 issues ending with "On the Edge of Extinction"
and so on.

I believe Sabrblade could give you a better list (I wonder if he could do so for me as well as I still look for more :p ) . :)
Unicron fan

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:29 pm

Unicron fan wrote:Also, Wing Saber; You may want to look up on some comics involving Unicron. This is so that you can get a better insight on the stuff involving Unicron in your RPG as I play him according to the comics then possible. :)

Among those are;

"Legacy of Unicron"
The 15 issues ending with "On the Edge of Extinction"
and so on.

I believe Sabrblade could give you a better list (I wonder if he could do so for me as well as I still look for more :p ) . :)
He's going for the IDW G1 comics, which Unicron is not a part of.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - Comic & Book Discussion