Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Transformers Retribution

Comics, Novels, Reference Books - anything TF related in print

Transformers Retribution

Postby Agent X » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 am

Next book in the Aligned continuity is available for pre-order on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Retr ... etribution

"For decades, Transformers fans across the globe have marveled at the mighty clashes of Megatron and Optimus Prime, and speculated about their arrival on planet Earth. Now, in Transformers: Retribution, the prequel to the Transformers animated series, the epic odyssey of these two great warriors is finally revealed as Autobots and Decepticons battle one another . . . and the most diabolic foe they’ve ever encountered.

Aboard the Ark, Optimus Prime leads his Autobots through deep space, searching for the AllSpark so vital to their home planet, Cybertron. Megatron’s not far behind, and his Decepticons are itching for war. But a mysterious planet conceals an enemy far more cunning and powerful: the Quintessons. Masters of tyranny, technology, and twisted double crosses, the Quintessons are out to enslave both Autobots and Decepticons. Their deadly bag of tricks includes time travel, fiendish trials, and a secret link all the way back to Cybertron, where Shockwave is wreaking havoc with supercomputer Vector Sigma. In the coming conflagration, Star Seekers, Wreckers, Alpha Trion, and Sharkticons all have their parts to play. For none can dodge the Quintesson juggernaut of evil, and none will escape the cataclysmic life-and-death battles that will catapult Autobots and Decepticons to Earth."
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Re: Transformers Retribution

Postby cyberwuss » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:17 pm

For me this one was almost as good as Exodus and better than Exiles. It still left questions unanswered from the show and there were alot of moments where certain characters were way overpowered but all in all it was a very good read for me as a TF fan.

Tyrannicon was the main character I thought was overpowered

The decepticon matrix was an interesting part of the plot and the sharkticons being freed by Megatron would have been an interesting place to show where the stormtrooper style vehicons originated

As for the action scenes the ones that stood out to me were some with Omega Supreme and Superion, especially Superion on the Nemesis vs Megatron, though it was a little short on that battle for my taste.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Re: Transformers Retribution

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Finally finished this book tonight. Good read. Reads much better than its two predecessors, almost no errors to be found aside from a tiny amount. Definitely the most competently written of the three.

A bit miffed by how no one besides Optimus and Alpha Trion remembers the Quintessons. Megatron might have as well, but it's possible that he only remembered them after having had his memory jogged or having heard Optimus speak of their dominating Cybertron. When Optimus is at first among those who doesn't remember them, he gets a pass since the Matrix was being hacked at the time and that was messing with his memories. But the rest of the characters, even those back on Cybertron, have no such excuse for not remembering.

Still, I was pleased to see a lot of the specifics about the Quintesson invasion matching up very well with the details of it mentioned in the Covenant, such as their teaching the Cybertronian how to transform, claiming that the T-Cogs were their "gift" to the Cybertronians, and that they were the ones who installed the cockpits into the Cybertronians' bodies. Consistency is a wonderful thing.

That said, this book sure had a lot of awesome moments in it, such as when several Autobots stormed the Hall of Justice by jumping out of the Ark without parachutes and just slamming into the ground without a care. Or when Devastator made his awesome resurgence to fight Tyrannicon, having not been seen since the middle parts of the Exodus novel. Or when Superion, no, everything with Superion was awesome! And Leviacon, good gravy, Leviacon! I did not see his transformation coming! I bet the moment he transformed was for me like when all those who watched the G1 movie back in the 1980s were awed by seeing Unicron transform for the first time onscreen, not expecting him to do so either.

And we got more insight on why Thundertron hates Cybertronians. His planet was among those that was linked with Cybertron during the Golden Age when the space bridges were active. But when the bridges were abruptly shut down and Cybertron cut off from the other worlds (due to the Rust Plague, according to Covenant), his once-prosperous world suffered and its people died by the millions. Thundertron blames the Cybertronians for casting his world aside so coldly and has had his vendetta ever since.

But, there's something to be said about the way the book ended. We were told somewhere before, be it BotCon or some online source, that this book would be the conclusion of the trilogy, yet it ended as though it were just another piece of a larger story with more to be told. Granted, I wasn't expecting or wanting the book to end with the Autobots and Decepticons reaching Planet Earth, but I was at least hoping for some kind of closure to this book series as, since it's being called a trilogy, this could be the last book in the series. If we're ever gonna get to explore more of these thousands of years' worth of story material that takes place before they arrive on Earth, there has to be another book written. Or at least more fiction set during this time period.

Overall, I give this book a solid A-.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Return to Transformers - Comic & Book Discussion