Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Exodus: the Official History of the War for Cybertron

Comics, Novels, Reference Books - anything TF related in print

Re: Exodus: the Official History of the War for Cybertron

Postby lioconvoy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:13 pm

i see where you are comming from with the mosis reference and it is quite apt for the exidus novel

i can still identify with megatron feeling that he was benofiting cybertron though and i can see sympathy in him findingout that optimus was chosen rather than him for cybertron's prime

however it can be strongly argued that the counsle chose optimus to break megatron and optimus apart.
if not for that influence megatron and optimus although verry diferent mechs could have ballenced eachother out.

i believe that this is pivital in the plot line of the prime continuity as there was a chance for redemption for megatron however with the influence of dark energon and the counsle's will, this soon was destroyed.

optimus will also feel like it is his folt that megatron turned on him as he was with megatron to start with and for him to be given prime status and megatron not to get any recognition ... lets us simply say that optimus has a cairing nature that would force him to greeve over the loss of megatron's trust and brotherhood

perhaps i am not expressing myself that well but i will clarify when i have what i wish to say in my head lol
lioconvoy

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:32 pm

lioconvoy wrote:i can still identify with megatron feeling that he was benofiting cybertron though and i can see sympathy in him findingout that optimus was chosen rather than him for cybertron's prime
I've no doubt that Megatron sincerely wished for a better Cybertron that would be for the benefit of everyone. However, I am 100% confidant that he would have wanted something in return had his plans come to fruition. I doubt he would have been satisfied with a free Cybertron if he did not receive the recognition he believed to have deserved (i.e. - to be praised and worshipped as a hero, a liberator, and maybe even the next Prime).

It's true he was thinking of others in his plans, but he undoubtedly thought of glorifying himself as a result.

lioconvoy wrote:however it can be strongly argued that the counsle chose optimus to break megatron and optimus apart.
if not for that influence megatron and optimus although verry diferent mechs could have ballenced eachother out.
I don't think they intentionally chose Optimus over Megs just to break them apart. Alpha Trion said that he and the Council had been watching Orion for some time, and had predicted that he would be the next Prime. And when Orion made his case in the Council meeting, his words were the most just and the most sincere of the two, making him the prime choice.

lioconvoy wrote:i believe that this is pivital in the plot line of the prime continuity as there was a chance for redemption for megatron however with the influence of dark energon and the counsle's will, this soon was destroyed.
There's no doubt in the Dark Energon's influecne, yes, but I don't think the Council intentionally tried to condemn Megatron. In fact, of the surviving Council members, all three of them joined the Decepticons in the war.

lioconvoy wrote:optimus will also feel like it is his folt that megatron turned on him as he was with megatron to start with and for him to be given prime status and megatron not to get any recognition ... lets us simply say that optimus has a cairing nature that would force him to greeve over the loss of megatron's trust and brotherhood
Of course. Optimus understands how Megatron wanted to use this chance to let himself be heard and known, yet since Orion proved to be the more favorable of the two, he unintentionally took the spotlight away from Megs and would thus feel guilty over it.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Agent X » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Just started reading it today, and so far its good
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby cyberwuss » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:00 pm

Overall I liked this book alot. It represents an attempt at a deep Transformers novel with attention actually being payed to previous lore in the franchise that has not been seen before. I would have to say the biggest disappointment to me is that Megatron matures more slowly than Optimus. At the beginning of the book they are basically acting like late teens and early twenty year old humans. At the end Optimus has developed alot of maturity, and Megatron is still acting somewhat teenish, especially with his drug addictionlike dark energon. Comparing Transformers: Exodus to the biblical Exodus story with Moses and Rameses in Prince of Egypt only goes a bit of the way for me though, because to me it was more like the biblical war in heaven than Exodus for different reasons. I'm thinking the main reason they used the term Exodus was because the Autobots and some cons were leaving the planet (Exodus means "to leave") and that it didn't have much reference to the bible even though there are things like the Covenant and Primus that are somewhat religous to the Transformers. Another of my many reasons is that Megatron isn't wiped out at the end, like Rameses, and there are no plagues against the Decepticons. I could go on with why the rest of the comparison doesn't match up, but I'll leave it at that and get on with my feelings about the book.

Pros:
- best attempt at a Transformers novel I have read and probably that exists.
- includes alot of the mythology and lore from previous incarnations of Transformers series.
- shows alot of what is going on in Optimus, Megatron, Alpha Trion, and Starscream's heads and gives those four the main character development focus. The best there being A3 for me because he has had the least previous character development in Transformers as a whole.
- lots of characters like Ultra Magnus and the Wreckers get good nods
- some lore that hasn't been delved into deeply is gone into a bit for people who might not be familiar with it.
- the reasons for the war itself are well layed out, as well as the overall Autobot/Decepticon strategies that play out to the Exodus of Cybertron at the end.
- inclusion of Trypticon in bot mode, that for a while seemed like it wasn't going to happen, as well as Omega Supreme.
- overall good read with nice action and great if you are a huge fan of Transformers.
- relationship between Optimus and Jazz is gone into in great detail from the start.
- its antidrug (because of the Cons using dark energon being the evil side :>)
- wording was good and what you would expect in scenes like where Megatron is dealing with Starscream, except for a few forced lines that have been around since G1 :p
- Decepticons are truly portrayed as evil, thus explaining why they need the beating they take in every series of Transformers.

Cons:

- most of the cons are very two dimensional characters, Megatron doesn't develop alot of strategy planning skills throughout the book while the Autobots are beating his brute force with ingenuity and lesser numbers.
- the forced lines like "One shall stand. One shall fall." etc
- Way too many Transformers side with Megatron
- deviates from WFC game and movieverse in some places and fits them in others, not a real issue if it was considered to be a different arc but with this whole unified TF continuity thing it just felt a bit off.

I will stop my pro/con list a bit there while I think about the book more. I really did love it and don't want to overanalyze it too much, but there were a few downs like I said. The book seemed to go on a long time for its 350 pages (I've read 1000 page novels that had about the same amount of plot in them) which was good for me as it made me feel I got my money's worth and I could really feel for Optimus throughout the book carrying his leadership burdens, I guess like I said before the biggest let down is Megatron's overall lack of cunning and maturity by the end, he doesn't seem to develop it through the book, relying mostly on brute force strength instead of cunning and skill, he is basically the polar opposite of what we see in Animated Megatron and some of Prime Megatron, so basically more like Movieverse Megatron - heck, he has even less cunning than G1 Megatron!!! The book included lots of unexpected characters like Devastator and Bruticus though, along with many others, but Megatron's immaturity is still my biggest let down. Still the best attempt at a masterpiece TF novel yet, going to start Exiles next. Hope Irvine does more books, he is alot better than all the previous TF novel and storybook guys!!! I was surprised to like Sentinel so much as a hero after his villain appearance in DOTM as well, especially when he was replaced by Zeta Prime in WFC. Anyway, I'll think on this more and then come back to it later maybe to post some more thoughts.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:53 pm

cyberwuss wrote:Comparing Transformers: Exodus to the biblical Exodus story with Moses and Rameses in Prince of Egypt only goes a bit of the way for me though, because to me it was more like the biblical war in heaven than Exodus for different reasons. I'm thinking the main reason they used the term Exodus was because the Autobots and some cons were leaving the planet (Exodus means "to leave") and that it didn't have much reference to the bible even though there are things like the Covenant and Primus that are somewhat religous to the Transformers. Another of my many reasons is that Megatron isn't wiped out at the end, like Rameses, and there are no plagues against the Decepticons. I could go on with why the rest of the comparison doesn't match up, but I'll leave it at that and get on with my feelings about the book.
I see you saw what I wrote about that.

Well, I wasn't comparing this story to that story and you're right that the two are incompatible. BUT, what I was comparing was the relationship between Orion/Optimus and Megatron this book to that of Moses and Ramses in the Prince of Egypt movie.

And, while it uses Prime footage instead of WFC/FOC footage (which would better fit the time period of this book's setting), this video further illustrates how those two relationships were similar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33-EkknOSM4

cyberwuss wrote:- best attempt at a Transformers novel I have read and probably that exists.
Interestingly, a lot of others disagree and say that they thought this book was awful and just read like a mess. I myself didn't think it was great, but I did think it was decent and gave it a 7.5/10.

cyberwuss wrote:- includes alot of the mythology and lore from previous incarnations of Transformers series.
All thansk to it being heavily derived from the Binder of Revelation.

cyberwuss wrote:- deviates from WFC game and movieverse in some places and fits them in others, not a real issue if it was considered to be a different arc but with this whole unified TF continuity thing it just felt a bit off.
Basically, chapters 16-39 told the same basic story of WFC and FOC, but with differing specifics. To Hasbro, specifics don't matter as much, so long as the story matches in a broad way. I know that's stupid, but it's what we gotta deal with now. :|

cyberwuss wrote:I guess like I said before the biggest let down is Megatron's overall lack of cunning and maturity by the end, he doesn't seem to develop it through the book, relying mostly on brute force strength instead of cunning and skill, he is basically the polar opposite of what we see in Animated Megatron and some of Prime Megatron, so basically more like Movieverse Megatron - heck, he has even less cunning than G1 Megatron!!!
I think it helps to read his dialogue in the voice of Fred Tatasciore's WFC Megatron.

cyberwuss wrote:Still the best attempt at a masterpiece TF novel yet,
Most others tend to consdier James Roberts' unofficial Eugenesis story to be the best TF novel story (I myself haven't read it yet, so I can't comment. But I plan to read it at some point).

cyberwuss wrote:going to start Exiles next. Hope Irvine does more books, he is alot better than all the previous TF novel and storybook guys!!!
Prepare yourself. Exiles was a tough read for me. :|

cyberwuss wrote:I was surprised to like Sentinel so much as a hero after his villain appearance in DOTM as well, especially when he was replaced by Zeta Prime in WFC.
Thanks to some retroactive workings, the Sentinel Prime who appearedi n this book = WFC Zeta Prime, with his full formal name being "Sentinel Zeta Prime". The Transformers Vault book later tried to make snese out of htis by stating that the "Sentinel" part itself is another title of authority in addition to his Prime rank. ;)

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby cyberwuss » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:15 am

Lol, just downloaded Eugenesis, might read it after Exiles.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:55 am

cyberwuss wrote:Lol, just downloaded Eugenesis, might read it after Exiles.
From what I've heard, it's based off the Marvel G1/G2 comics (both the UK G1 comics and the U.S. G2 comics, despite those two being different continuities).

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:01 am

Finally read and finished the book! Great book! I loved it!

And out of the hundreds and hundreds of Transformers referances in the book my favorite was at the end of the chapter where the 'Bots and 'Cons start fighting over Omega Supreme's message, and the last sentance of the chapter said "And the battle was joined"
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:16 am

Wing Saber wrote:Finally read and finished the book! Great book! I loved it!

And out of the hundreds and hundreds of Transformers referances in the book my favorite was at the end of the chapter where the 'Bots and 'Cons start fighting over Omega Supreme's message, and the last sentance of the chapter said "And the battle was joined"
That good, eh? I only gave it a 7.5/10, since there were still plenty of editorial mistakes and some parts that were nowhere near as exciting as those in WFC.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby cyberwuss » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:10 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Wing Saber wrote:Finally read and finished the book! Great book! I loved it!

That good, eh? I only gave it a 7.5/10, since there were still plenty of editorial mistakes and some parts that were nowhere near as exciting as those in WFC.

Editorial mistakes are common for most first prints, and even some later editions, especially things like misplaced letters and stuff. The biggest let down as far as WFC relation was probably how fast they offed Omega Supreme though :<, in WFC he lasted ALOT longer heh, as did Trypticon.
cyberwuss

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - Comic & Book Discussion