Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Power Rangers: Samurai

Non-TF related Conversations

Re: Power Rangers: Samurai

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:54 pm

i had such high hopes for this season but as of right now sammurai is second only to overdrive as the worst pr series ever
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:04 pm

ironrod prime wrote:i had such high hopes for this season but as of right now sammurai is second only to overdrive as the worst pr series ever
But it was Turbo that almost killed the series.

Operation Overdrive did fairly well for a Disney series.

But what I meant by how I'm bugged by them being cheap with this is that they're making a second Samurai season called "Super Samurai" by making both be only 20 episodes long each, and then dragging them both out with reruns to make them run for an entire year each. That's why the Samurai has been so slow this year. It's only 20 episodes long (not counting the TV specials) and won't even have a proper conclusion. :-(
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:48 am

yeah but atleast turbo had a theatrical movie

the only thing overdrive had going for it was the once a ranger two parter
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:59 pm

ironrod prime wrote:yeah but atleast turbo had a theatrical movie
That's still not saying much, considering that it not only got poor reception, but also botched up the continuity as set up by MMPR-Zeo. That movie alone has more continuity headaches than Clash of the Red Rangers has.

Not to mention that it introduced many of the stupid ideas that were carried over into the Turbo series.
  • Divatox was a whiny moron and her minions were idiots.
  • Zordon chose a child to be a Ranger over any better candidates (like Tommy's brother, who both know martial arts and Tommy's secret identity).
  • The Rangers get new powers for no real reason whatsoever, as the Zeo Powers were said to ALWAYS be getting stronger.
  • Zordon, an alien wizard who specialized in using powers based around such mystifying concepts as dinosaurs, ninjas, and a mystical crystal... gives them new powers based on CARS. Why CARS? What do cars have to do with any of this magical stuff? There's nothing enchanting about automobiles. It makes no sense in this case.
  • Divatox, a space pirate, as the main villain makes no sense. Why would a pirate want to take over the world? That's not what a pirate does. A pirate is someone who steals things. And that fact that SHE was the one to defeat the Rangers is mind-boggling, since she had the fewest resources and powers at her disposal, yet Rita and Zedd took three years to beat the Rangers, and the Machine Empire (and entire EMPIRE with a vast ARMY) couldn't beat the Zeo Rangers. How in all that is logical in this world did the most petty villain of the series beat the Rangers? :x

ironrod prime wrote:the only thing overdrive had going for it was the once a ranger two parter
Which was still a million times more enjoyable than Turbo or its movie.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:05 pm

dude do you have any idea about how much mythical lore there is on phantom cars or cursed vehichles (which they did later play on with lightning cruiser and storm blaster)

and to be fare the sentai turbo was based on was the slaps stick series of super sentai

so turbo didnt really have much to work with
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:20 pm

ironrod prime wrote:dude do you have any idea about how much mythical lore there is on phantom cars or cursed vehichles (which they did later play on with lightning cruiser and storm blaster)
Except that these cars aren't like that. These are high-tech sportscars like something out of the MTV generation. There were zero fantasy elements about them.

ironrod prime wrote:and to be fare the sentai turbo was based on was the slaps stick series of super sentai

so turbo didnt really have much to work with
That's the real world reason, not the in-fiction reason. They still never explained what happened to the Zeo powers since those were said to always be getting stronger. I am aware of the supposed cut scenes of Divatox defeating the Zeo powers in the Turbo movie, but even that's really stretching it considering how the Zeo powers obviously outclass her.

What was so bad about Operation Overdrive? I found it to be... average, at best.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:43 pm

two words

treasure hunters :-(

and it was explaind a little bit in forever red of how the zeo powers were still operational
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:51 pm

ironrod prime wrote:two words

treasure hunters :-(
And? That's what Boukenger was themed around. Got something against archaeology?

ironrod prime wrote:and it was explaind a little bit in forever red of how the zeo powers were still operational
I know they were still operational. I said that Turbo never said what became of the Zeo powers. Since the Zeo powers still worked, there was no in-universe need to change over to the Turbo powers.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:24 pm

i have nothing against archaeology

dino thunder was one of my favorite series

its just the actors didnt sit right with me

and treasure hunters arent so much archaeologists as the are excavaters

and come on treasure hunting power rangers thats ridiculus
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:37 pm

ironrod prime wrote:i have nothing against archaeology

dino thunder was one of my favorite series
What's Dino thunder to do with this? Paleontology isn't the same thing. Archaeology deals with man-made materials of the past, not dinosaurs.

ironrod prime wrote:its just the actors didnt sit right with me

and treasure hunters arent so much archaeologists as the are excavaters
It wasn't "treasure hunting", it was "archeaology". They were hunting artifacts, not goods. Mr. Hartford was an archaeologist. Mack fantasized himself as being an Indiana Jones-styled hero, and Indy was an archaeology professor.

In fact, the early title of the series before it was finalized as "Operation Overdrive" was "Power Rangers: Relic Hunters" (which Flurious made a nod to in one episode, "Well, it looks like we'll all relic hunters today.").

ironrod prime wrote:and come on treasure hunting power rangers thats ridiculus
And all those times in past series when the Rangers were looking for items of value weren't treasure hunting? I'd say that the search for the Light of Orion counts. As do the quests for he Zeo Subcrystals.

If this bothers you so much, how are you going to handle a Gokaiger adaptation? It's themed entirely around pirates. ;)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum