Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Saban buys Power Rangers back from Disney!

Non-TF related Conversations

Saban buys Power Rangers back from Disney!

Postby Sabrblade » Thu May 20, 2010 11:59 am

Just as the title says, after 17 long seasons plus one rebroadcasted reversioned season, Haim Saban of Saban Capital Group (not to be confused with his now-defunct Saban Entertainment) recently repurchased the rights to the Power Rangers franchise back from the Walt Disney Company.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/05/the-power-rangers-are-still-kicking-1.html
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g5uiqztXBXGrAN3--ZSLw1pTnacQD9FLJA683
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1222115120100512
http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/13/disney-sells-a-franchise-that-mothers-didnt-like/?src=busln
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=127623
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118019212.html?categoryid=14&cs=1
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/05/power-rangers-morphing-back-to-haim-saban-nickelodeon.html
http://toybook.com/saban-brands-acquires-power-rangers-from-the-walt-disney-company
http://biz.viacom.com/sites/nickelodeonpress/NICKELODEON/Pages/showpdf.aspx?FileName=Nickelodeon%20Power%20RangersFINAL%20RELEASE.pdf&ListName=Press%20Releases&ItemID=470

As you can tell by some of the links, a new 18th season is set to air on Nickelodeon and Nicktoons in 2011.

Back in 2001, Saban Entertainment, the group behind the original Power Rangers series, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, up until midway through Power Rangers Wild Force, had sold the rights to the Power Rangers franchise to the Walt Disney Company. This was not a direct transaction, however, but was actually part of a bigger deal of News Corporation and Saban Entertainment selling Fox Family Worldwide, Inc. (and all of its confinements - Power Rangers included) to Disney for approximately $5.3 billion. For the whole story on this previous transaction, look here: http://www.saban.com/html/press/010723.html (this also why TF: RiD still hasn't been put on U.S. DVD yet, but that's another topic).

But now it seems that Power Rangers has returned to the hands of its rightful owners. May the Power live on forever.

EDIT: It's become known that the next series will be an adaptation of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, and will be called Power Rangers Samurai.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: Saban buys Power Rangers back from Disney!

Postby TriPredRavage » Thu May 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Yup. It's quite the event, honestly. But if you've seen any of the footage of the series that should have been this season, you can tell why it wasn't adapted into English. There was absolutely no way to avoid how Japanese it was. Plus, it was way too violent (but I tell you what, I would have loved it as a kid). I also saw the Zords, and they looked like really cheap knock offs of the ThuderZords and NinjaZords. But, I digress.

This is pretty exciting. It's interesting that they seems to think they can make it boom like it did when it first came out, doing tours and such again. We'll just have to wait and see!
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Thu May 20, 2010 4:32 pm

I was thinking that if they were completely unable to adapt Shinkenger due to its Japanese-centric footage, they could just skip it and go to adapting Goseiger. ;)

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby TriPredRavage » Thu May 20, 2010 5:05 pm

Sabrblade wrote:I was thinking that if they were completely unable to adapt Shinkenger due to its Japanese-centric footage, they could just skip it and go to adapting Goseiger. ;)

That's what I figure. We probably won't see what would have been PR2010 here in the states (sorry, I'm not familiar enough with PR's Japanese names after Turbo/Carranger), and provided that the next series doesn't have Japanese symbols for masks and such, it'll probably be the next stateside series.
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Thu May 20, 2010 5:20 pm

TriPredRavage wrote:(sorry, I'm not familiar enough with PR's Japanese names after Turbo/Carranger)
Tis okay. This'll help:
  • Zyuranger - MMPR1
  • Dairanger - MMPR2
  • Kakuranger - MMPR3/MMAR
  • Ohranger - PRZ
  • Carranger - PRT
  • Megaranger - PRiS
  • Gingaman - PRLG
  • GoGoV ("Go Go Five") - PRLR
  • Timeranger - PRTF
  • Gaoranger - PRWF
  • Hurricanger - PRNS
  • Abaranger - PRDT
  • Dekaranger - PRSPD
  • Magiranger - PRMF
  • Boukenger - PROO
  • Gekiranger - PRJF
  • Go-Onger - PRRPM

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby TriPredRavage » Thu May 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Gotcha.
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Thu May 20, 2010 6:42 pm

Also, the timing of this reacquisition couldn't have been more perfect, as Linkara of ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com is currently doing a History of Power Rangers lookback at the series, giving a serious analysis of each one (with some humor thrown into the mix as well). And I am enjoying every moment of it. :mrgreen:

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby DocWho » Thu May 27, 2010 8:56 am

Part of me is really excited, because Power Rangers was basically my childhood, and I'm excited to see it continue.

But on the other hand, part of me is apprehensive, as Disney's PR seasons were really good, and I'm worried that Saban won't take it as seriously as Disney did.

Polenicus wrote:Unicron.com are my HEROES.

Follow me on Twitter
DocWho

Postby Sabrblade » Thu May 27, 2010 10:47 am

DocWho wrote:But on the other hand, part of me is apprehensive, as Disney's PR seasons were really good, and I'm worried that Saban won't take it as seriously as Disney did.
:o "Really good"? Huh? Disney's PR series were...

Okay, I'm break it down.
  • Ninja Storm could have been better. It did have a lot of good potential with the Thunder Rangers and several other good points, but its villains were just annoying. The only good ones were Zurgane, Vexacus, and Motodrone. Lothor was lame, Marah & Kapri were pathetic, Choobo was stupid, and these people remained on the show for the longest time. And the Rangers' sensei was a guinea pig! And that theme song... it made me long for the themes of the past really badly. :cry:
  • Dino Thunder was a step in the right direction. It did feel like Power Rangers again. Tommy was back, the Rangers were in high school, dinosaurs were the theme again, the evil White Ranger was reminiscent of the evil Green Ranger, and more positives. But, did still have some flaws, like Cassidy and Devin. It was like they were trying to be like Bulk and Skull, but just... weren't. :roll:
  • S.P.D. was one I had mixed feeling for. The whole concept of it being a future police force was cool. In fact, it seemed like a mix between Lightspeed Rescue (with emergency rescue vehicle zords and whatnot) and Time Force (special police department from the future). And the A-Squad Rangers being willingly evil was nice touch. Though, there were times where Grumm, the main big bad, seemed too over-the-top and lackluster. And he had a little girl create his monsters! I did like it when she got older for a while and fought the Rangers personally, but it didn't last. And Piggy... was he really necessary?
  • Mystic Force was one that I wish I had seen more of. This show was one that I thought was cool. It used all the Magiranger villains as the main bad guys, and had some pretty awesome concepts like the Rangers actually turning into their zords (kinda reminding me of Super-god Masterforce), as well as Koragg's development from being honorably evil to realizing his true identity as Leanbow. Though, Claire, Phineas and Toby each could have been a bit better. And Lee Lee was very irritating at first (becoming a little more tolerable later on).
  • Operation Overdrive dared to be different with having not one, but four different antagonist groups. Meaning that it had the most varied threats to the Rangers of any series. And they successfully utilized each and every item that they located to be used to find the next one, rather than have some just lead to nothing and/or nowhere. It also dared to be different by having its Red Ranger not be a living organism. He was in fact, an android (a concept not revealed until the last arc of episodes). And then there was the 15th Anniversary episode with the return of Johnny Young Bosch as Adam, the second MMPR Black Ranger. But alas, the greatness of this show could only go so far, as there were a few moments of ridiculousness and over-the-top antics that were just not funny.
  • Jungle Fury was... meh. It did have a few good things with its villains, but the Rangers, particularly the Red Ranger, were just not cool. It seemed like this was going to be another Wild Force like how Dino Thunder was like another MMPR1, but it wasn't. And there were so many confusing points about this show. The Rangers' zords were spirits, yet the Rhino one was more like a physical zord. Why was that one different? And if they were the personal spirits of each ranger, then how could the Wolf Ranger summon the Tiger and Jaguar zord spirits if those belonged to the Red and Blue Rangers (even when those two Rangers were not around)? And then there's the Spirit Rangers. Cool at first, but still confusing. They were said to the be animal spirits in Ranger form, yet those same spirits could still be used to become zord forms. My head hurts.
  • R.P.M. was both good and bad. The whole premise of it was very dark and very mature for a series like Power Rangers. It was almost akin to the Terminator movies. But, I had more problems with it than what I liked about it. A lot of it confused me like crazy, like how the guys who would become the Green and Black Rangers got more focus in the beginning than the three main Rangers (who were mostly in the background until they each finally got some backstory development). And a lot went completely unexplained, like the time period that the series took place in (was it the present or the near-future?), and why Venjix shared his name with the villain from the Wild Force episode "Forever Red". Though, I did LOVE the Zords in this series. Particularly because all TWELVE of them could combine together to form one uber-epic Megazord. 8-)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby mightwork » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:54 pm

I loved power rangers when I was little! When I first stumbled across Transformers RID for a few seconds I thought it was a cartoon version of the Power Rangers (Ruination or some other combiner was on the screen, I thought Megazord) and then a firetruck transformed...
mightwork

Next

Return to Open Forum