Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

AOE articles - Another trilogy and more info about Lockdown

This forum is the news engine for Unicron.com. All of the topics in this forum will also show up on the main page as news posts. Registered Users can reply to topics, but not create new ones. If you are looking to help us out with a News Tip, please check out the sub-forum "News Tips & Rumors."

AOE articles - Another trilogy and more info about Lockdown

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:26 pm

The hype for Transformers: Age of Extinction grows ever increasingly as more and more information is made known about it. The Transformers Live Action Movie Blog has alerted us to an article in a magazine issue of Entertainment Weekly that features director Michael Bay, star actor Mark Wahlberg, and costar actor Jack Reynor discussing the movie and its future, primarily revealing that the fourth movie is the start of a second trilogy!

Entertainment Weekly has also posted a second article online, in which Bay goes even further in depth about the movie and things to come later, speaking further about the character of Lockdown and the significance of both him and things surrounding him in this movie. Needless to say, there are greater forces at work in this movie that build up to bigger things to come afterward. To see the contents of both reports, head through the space bridge.

In case the magazine article is too small to read below, it can be viewed and read in full size by clicking here.

This week's issue of Entertainment Weekly, their Summer preview issue, has an article (image left) about Transformers: Age of Extinction. In it director Michael Bay confirms that Transformers 4 is the start of the next trilogy while Mark Wahlberg comments on the storyline and Jack Reynor talks about working on the set. The article also revealed a few factoids about the CGI version of Grimlock saying the character is "150 feet long from the tail to the nostrils, 63.5 feet tall from the ground to the top of his horns, and weigh 850 tons." Below is a transcript of the the comments from Bay and the others.

Bay: "It's kind of like a new Transformers. We had three, the first trilogy, and this is going to be the next. ...It's the first of a new trilogy. I'm not necessarily sure that I'm doing [the others], but that's what it's meant for."

Bay: "{Shia LaBeouf]'s a good guy, but three movies, the same guy, it's time. You know what I'm saying? It's always good to freshen it up and change the story."

Wahlberg: "[The government] basically want to wipe out all Transformers, all the Autobots. Optimus has lost all faith in humankind, and I'm trying to convince him there is still good in the world and we need to work together."

Reynor: "The first day I'm acting opposite a giant robot that's not there so that was something that took me out of my comfort zone. Probably the most outrageous thing we did was run through an incredible explosion. You can see it in the trailer. Everything around us blew up. Absolutely terrifying. But you don't really think of the terror until afterward. It's one of those things where you just run and all of your basic instincts as a human kick in. You get out on the other side of it and you feel like a different person, really."

If your appetite for shape-shifting alien robots is insatiable, well, buddy … open wide.

Michael Bay tells EW that this summer’s Transformers: Age of Extinction will herald the arrival of at least two more battling ‘bot movies. He thinks of it not as Transformers 4, but as more of a reboot — even though he’s still running the show.

“It’s kind of like a new Transformers,” Bay says. “We had three, the first trilogy, and this is going to be the next one.” The next…trilogy? “Yeah, it’s the first of a new trilogy,” he says after a moment of hesitation. “I’m not necessarily sure that I’m doing [the others], but that’s what it’s meant for.”

Shia LaBeouf is out, and Mark Wahlberg is in as the human lead, and among the new Transformer characters is the fellow you see above — Grimlock, the fire-breathing leader of the Dinobots, a special class of Cybertronian warrior who changes not into a vehicle, but a T-Rex-style brawler. As the June 27 movie heads to theaters, Bay gave us a rundown of some of the other new additions.

Why dinosaurs? Except for the obvious answer (dinosaurs are awesome!), the actual origin of these creatures has changed, depending on who is telling the story.

As revealed on the cover of Marvel’s Transformers #8 (Sept. 1985), Grimlock was the head of a special-ops team that took camouflage as dinosaurs after they crashed landed on prehistoric Earth (Optimus Prime and the rest of their mechanical brethren remained unconscious and buried for eons after that.) In the 1984 animated TV series, the Dinobots were introduced as weapons created by the Autobots, who took inspiration from some fossils they’d discovered.

Bay isn’t revealing his own origin story for Grimlock just yet. “I like to keep things very much in the dark. But yes, you’ll understand why they’re there when you see the movie. If you think I’m supposed to give away a lot of story points? No way! Keep it secret.”

What he will reveal about Age of Extinction’s Grimlock are some Tech Spec details: although it’s an all-digital creation, he’d be 150 feet long from tail to nostrils, 63.5 feet tall from the ground to the top of his horns, and weigh 850 tons. So there.

He’s a little more forthcoming about this guy …

In the trailer, we know him colloquially as “Gun Face.” (Watch the clip below, and you’ll see why.) But it’s actually a Transformer who is neither Autobot or Decepticon, a bounty hunter named Lockdown, whose alternate form is a Lamborghini Aventador.

“Lockdown is an interesting character. He travels the galaxy, he works for somebody else. And he’s here for one person, one alien, and then he’s out of here,” Bay says. “So he doesn’t really want to take sides. The cause and balance of the galaxy is kind of messed up when different species play with different species. And that opens up a whole other gigantic world for Transformers.”

In other words, someone, somewhere, is not happy that puny humans and Transformers have been mingling like this.

God made Adam and Eve, after all. Not Adam and Bumblebee.

Bay says there are characters and plotlines hinted at in Age of Extinction that won’t be fully explored this time around, but are meant to help set up future stories.

“Lockdown’s ship has a lot of meaning that can go into other movies. There’s a lot of backstory about that ship that’s not laid out here,” he says. “You’re going to see a few things where you’re like ‘What is that? And what is that?’ And you’re going to see a couple shots like, ‘Wait a minute, who are they?’ But we don’t answer those questions.”

What about the mystery of what the hell is up with Shia LaBeouf? Bay wouldn’t take that bait, but said it was clearly time to part ways.

“It’s all good. He’s a good guy, but three movies, the same guy, it’s time, you know what I’m saying?” Bay says. “It’s always good to freshen it up and change the story.”

He insists LaBeouf was not fired, even though Bay feels a new trilogy needed a new star.

“No, no it was mutual. He only wanted to do three, and I think that’s all,” Bay says. “Then I pulled Mark into this after Pain & Gain, because we had a great time working together.”

One star who is returning: Optimus Prime, voiced again by Peter Cullen, who has been providing the stentorian tones of the Autobot leader since the ’80s cartoon series.

Judging by early footage EW has seen, this version of Prime is much more akin to (stay with me, here) Sylvester Stallone’s John Rambo in First Blood — a warrior whose battle has seemingly ended, but has no home, and not welcome anywhere. After Chicago was ransacked in the last movie (2011′s Dark of the Moon), humans have decided all Transformers, good or bad, are robots non grata. This time around, the director promises, we’ll get to see “angry Optimus Prime.”

“[The government] wants to wipe out all the Transformers, all the ­Autobots,” says Wahlberg, who becomes a de facto diplomat. “Optimus has lost all faith in humankind, and I’m trying to convince him there is still good in the world and we need to work together.”

Or as Bay puts it: “He’s done good for earth, and he’s been f–ked over.”
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: AOE articles - Another trilogy and more info about Lockd

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:13 am

So, if Lockdown's not a Decepticon either, I guess this movie really won't have any Decepticons in it all.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Lynaxx Pax » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Sabrblade wrote:So, if Lockdown's not a Decepticon either, I guess this movie really won't have any Decepticons in it all.

We've seen trailers that show a new invasion of earth beginning, there's stinger, and know one knows who or what Galvatron really is. Plus there's the chevy trax, and the dump truck from the footage of the cars driving around.
Lynaxx Pax

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:44 pm

Lynaxx Pax wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:So, if Lockdown's not a Decepticon either, I guess this movie really won't have any Decepticons in it all.

We've seen trailers that show a new invasion of earth beginning, there's stinger, and know one knows who or what Galvatron really is. Plus there's the chevy trax, and the dump truck from the footage of the cars driving around.
Stinger and Galvatron are both manmade bots.

We nothing of who or what those ships belong to.

And if Lockdown is working for somebody on neither side of the conflict, we could be looking at something bigger than the Autobots and Decepticons being afoot here.

I mean, who or what would really give a care about Cybertronians and humans having interacted with each other? Megatron wasn't bothered by it since he had humans working for him in DOTM. Whoever hired Lockdown to hunt down Optimus is evidently quite ticked off about humans and Transformers having mingled together for the past three films.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Black Starscream » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:07 am

I look forward to this. Eveidently, Lockdown's character is exactly as it should be; working only for hire, loyal to none. I'm sure for alot of people not having Shia around will be a plus regardless of the reason; for me I enjoyed his character, but the idea that the next film needed something new works regardless for me.
From what Bay said about setting up for future storylines, it seems that unlike the first trilogy, this new trilogy will have a bit more focus on continuity. I felt like DOTM really lacked continuity with the first two films, so if AOE turns out great, then I'll be very happy that they improved on continuity as well.
Also I do wanna ask, has it been officially stated that Galvatron is man made? I understood Stinger was implied to be, but Galvatron seemed like he still has mysterious origins (maybe there's been a bio published?)
Black Starscream

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:38 am

Black Starscream wrote:Also I do wanna ask, has it been officially stated that Galvatron is man made? I understood Stinger was implied to be, but Galvatron seemed like he still has mysterious origins (maybe there's been a bio published?)
Yeah, CinemaCon 2014 had a 15-minute sneak peek of the movie shown that revealed Galvatron to be a remote-controlled robot operated by an employee of Joshua, Stanley Tucci's character, who is the scientist in charge of the manmade Transformers - http://forum.unicron.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5013

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Black Starscream » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:43 pm

They're remote controlled? I'm suddenly looking forward to this a bit less, though I guess it works as an unintentional nod to Cylas/Nemesis Prime. I guess at least I can still look forward to Lockdown
Black Starscream

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Black Starscream wrote:They're remote controlled? I'm suddenly looking forward to this a bit less, though I guess it works as an unintentional nod to Cylas/Nemesis Prime. I guess at least I can still look forward to Lockdown
Yeah, factionless or not, Lockdown's looking more and more to be the main robot villain of at least this movie, with whoever enigmatic person(s) he works for I'd wager as being the villain(s) of the 5th and/or 6th films.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Black Starscream » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:59 am

Unless Galvatron somehow survives the this film and becomes important. Probably both though.
Black Starscream

Return to Transformers News