Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Botcon 2012, Comprehensive Report

This forum is the news engine for Unicron.com. All of the topics in this forum will also show up on the main page as news posts. Registered Users can reply to topics, but not create new ones. If you are looking to help us out with a News Tip, please check out the sub-forum "News Tips & Rumors."

Botcon 2012, Comprehensive Report

Postby perceptor » Mon May 07, 2012 8:42 am

In addition to our previously posted live photo feed and video highlights, you will now find the Events Section of our 2012 Transformers has been updated with our comprehensive report from Botcon 2012. In the report you'll find high resolution image galleries, notes from various panels and embedded videos from the show. Though not quite as cool as being there, it's the next best thing. Enjoy!

Incidentally, behind the scenes, we've been busy upgrading the software which runs this site. While we are happy that our site didn't have to go offline during the process, we're still working out a few bugs, which prevented me from getting this posted sooner. Thanks for your patience.
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Re: Botcon 2012, Comprehensive Report

Postby Sabrblade » Mon May 07, 2012 11:11 am

Yay!

Highlights of interest:
Transformers Collector Club Panel:
After the usual discussion of what's happened lately with Botcon and Fan Club, etc., organizers announce they will starting a “Figure Subscription Service.” Although the details/logistics haven't been fully worked out, the estimates are that it will be an annual service (pay 1/year) and they will ship 1 figure every 2 months. They are only going to produce an equal number that are ordered. (The implication being, keep an eye on those after-market values. They could go sky high for those that don't enroll in time. Pictures were shown of the figures to be released (seen within the gallery below.)

And the 2013 Transformers Club incentive figure is...
SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hasbro Brand Panel:
Unlike previous years, Hasbro seems to be cutting back more and more with what they reveal at their brand panel. Further there was only one Hasbro presentation, versus the 2-3 they've had in previous years. There was actually not a ton of new information that we hadn't heard before (like at ToyFair) presented. A summary is outlined below.

• Transformers the Ride: May 24th 2012 in Univ. Studios Hollywood – Showed Evac characer art, and new deluxe Evac. Created in conjunction with Michael Bay / studios. Various exclusives for Universal Studios.
  • Prime DVD/blue ray out now...
  • Rescue Bots: nothing new discussed here. Just that it exists...
  • KRE-O: nothing new announced since ToyFair...
  • (TFP) Robots in Disguise Deluxe Wave: photos shown of Arachnid, Dead End, and Nighty-night (Shadow Strike) Bumblebee, and Voyager Dreadwing --no other reveals. Edit --aparently they showed photos of Deluxe Kup and Rumble.
  • Voyager Thundertron from the new pirate faction, depicted in Transformers Exiles (soft cover novel)… He is the captain of this faction… looks like a blue white wolf. He looks a little like Snarl from the Unicron Trilogy series. His photo was shown next to the siloette image of 2 other Voyager toys --still unknown.
  • Cyberverse another Commander Class figure in wave 3 w/ Ironhide, they showed Ultra Magnus...
  • 2013 Sneak Peak: Legion Arachnid, grey models w/ colors and paint scheme…
  • Bot Shots launhers Ironhide w/ saws… Wave 2 Skyquake, jetfire powerglide. Another 3pk.. Decepticons w/ Shockwave...
  • 2012 TRU Exclusive. Masterpiece Optimus Prime, looks great, goal was to get him as close as humanly possible to G1 (TFTM specifically) INCLUDES (G1-style transforming) trailer, Roller and human Spike… Crowd liked this!
  • Then Generations 2013 Sneak Peak: Fall of Cybertron Kickback modeled after game's Insecticons which infest Cybertron, looks GREAT! -wild crowd response to this one. During their presentation he was presented as a Generations Deluxe figure, but in the display case he seemed considerably bigger, at least Voyager size. We'll see. They also showed images Fall of Cybertron: Starscream (in color, looked great), Ultra Magnus (a FoC Optimus w/ retooled head, color scheme). Fireflight (a retool FoC Shockwave w/ sword/sci.)
  • New scale for Generations:

• VOYAGER SOUNDWAVE! Includes Laserbeak as a Data disk! Three minions can be stored as 3 data disks inside Soundwave. There will be a Soundblaster recolor w/ Buzzsaw. Legion class Rumble, Frenzy, Ravage, Ratbat, all turn into data disks!
    • Still no mention of Fall of Cybertron Dinobots officially, though the crowd shouted it out. Then began chants for "ALL FIVE! ... ALL FIVE! ... ALL FIVE! ... ALL FIVE!
  • Generations Legends: More data disks for Soundwave: Frenzy, Rumble, Ratbat and Ravage... Crowd goes crazy!
  • SDCC Exclusive Decepticon Bruticus: color schemes based much more on G1 and Fall of Cybertron game. Then a discussion of how the (stunningly awesome) packaging was developed.
  • Then another the next SDCC exclusive… A lot more paint-aps, super decoed’ very highly detailed Terrorcon Cliffjumper. Remolded head. The packaging is the zombie head Cliffjumper. Seriously impressive!

Q&A:

- Correct color Bruticus to be sold at mass retail anywhere? No. But bright colors in store
- iTunes Season 2? No comment w/o Hasbro Studios
-Transformation alone is not always a way to attract new toy buyers. Needed an expanded play value.
- No unreleased movie three toys (back burner) --Movie Trilogy line is dead (for now)
- Original 13 toys originally 1 per year. A.A. originally thought the books would be out more quickly. Still in the plans.
- Universal Studio exclusives, currently only at Uni.Stud. with the rides (for now)
- Generations line eventually a place for characters from Novel, IDW Comics…
- Reveal the Shield Rumble & Frenzy in a toy line soon? “A resounding I don’t know.”
- FOC Dinobot toys? “We’re not ready to say anything at this point. But there is no doubt that we know that this character is going to be extremely cool in the game and everybody’s going to want one.” All 5? – “… talk to him.” More "ALL FIVE" chants from crowd.
- Generations Springer and Arcee? Arcee – no, Arcee focing on TFP. Springer – “On the short list”
- Ironhide toy seen in Cyberverse. Will he be in the Prime TV show? Not in the show, but maybe other media… just wait and see.
- No Current plans for unreleased TFA figures
- Why did US get short changed for TFP first edition? Several First Edition figures at the top of their list to try to get released in one way or another.
-If Hasbro Toy Shop is still a viable market for toy releases, why can’t anything that goes to market, why can’t they also be sold on HTS.com? Because we want to honor retailer arrangements, and not undercut them by offering everything online.
All images of this panel's new reveals can be found in the report's photo gallery.

Transformers Hall of Fame: Dinner/Awards Dinner
For many of us, a huge highlight of the convention was the Transformers Hall of Fame dinner ceremony. Shown below you'll see us, the Lukis brothers, along with a few of the site administrators Sabrblade (center) and TriPredRavage (middle, right) joining in the festivities. Personally, I was a little shocked when they announced the winner of the Fan's Choice award was Wheeljack! What did you think of that? --It's the first time a G1 character has won the contest. That he actually beat out Beast Wars Megatron, Sky-byte, and Arcee (of all Generations...!) Wow. We were all moved when a daughter of the late Chris Latta (G1 Starscream) gave her acceptance speech, on behalf of her father. It was a great moment.
From left to right: Blukis, Obsidian, Sabrblade, TriPredRavage, and Perceptor

AAAAAAAAND... at the end of Shockwave's Hall of Fame video was a brand new clip of new Transformers footage! Starscream is talking to Arcee and Clifjumper in a dark room, when he turns his back to face the audience and says, "...Say hello... to Shockwave!", revealing a very G1-inspired looking Shockwave with a single red (instead of yellow) eye. That's right, ladies and gentlemen! SHOCKWAVE is coming soon to TRANSFORMERS: PRIME!!!!
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Searchlight » Mon May 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Awesome. I'll definately be picking up depth charge, possibly Circuit, and I'm pissing my pants in anticipation over that generations soundwave with minicons. Glad they're not continuing the movie line, since honestly it wasn't selling well and was taking up valuable shelf space that could have gone to more prime and generations toys. Kind of disappointed at no word about tfprime season 2 on itunes though. Oh well. Overall, this sounds like it's going to be a fun year. And allow me to leave with these words: ALL FIVE!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZFD01r6ersw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Searchlight

Postby CYLON (13) » Mon May 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Wow, sounds like it was pretty epic! :D

Gonna watch that contiunity panel later-on. Thanks for posting, folks!
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Postby buccinator » Mon May 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Sabrblade wrote:AAAAAAAAND... at the end of Shockwave's Hall of Fame video was a brand new clip of new Transformers footage! Starscream is talking to Arcee and Clifjumper in a dark room, when he turns his back to face the audience and says, "...Say hello... to Shockwave!", revealing a very G1-inspired looking Shockwave with a single red (instead of yellow) eye. That's right, ladies and gentlemen! SHOCKWAVE is coming soon to TRANSFORMERS: PRIME!!!!

Seriously?! That is completely awesome! Can't wait to see that clip in the shows! Bring on Shockwave!!!!!

Nice job on the report guys. I've got to get myself to one of these someday...
Carpe Diem
buccinator

Postby Wing Saber » Mon May 07, 2012 4:30 pm

Sabrblade wrote:AAAAAAAAND... at the end of Shockwave's Hall of Fame video was a brand new clip of new Transformers footage! Starscream is talking to Arcee and Clifjumper in a dark room, when he turns his back to face the audience and says, "...Say hello... to Shockwave!", revealing a very G1-inspired looking Shockwave with a single red (instead of yellow) eye. That's right, ladies and gentlemen! SHOCKWAVE is coming soon to TRANSFORMERS: PRIME!!!!

Hopefully it's not just a flashback he shows up in...
"I laid low your warriors of old! I instill terror in the hearts of men! I AM KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN!"
Wing Saber

Postby perceptor » Thu May 10, 2012 11:37 pm

Wing Saber wrote:Hopefully it's not just a flashback he shows up in...

It's a flashback for sure. What we saw was Arcee and Cliffjumper, looking up to see Shockwave...
Yeah, Cliffjumper. They're not bringing him back from his decapitated zombie form. He's dead. (Sadly) he's staying dead. It was a flashback.
Now, that doesn't mean he wont show up in modern times of Transformers Prime. But we'll have to wait and see.
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Fri May 11, 2012 9:06 am

perceptor wrote:

It's a flashback for sure. What we saw was Arcee and Cliffjumper, looking up to see Shockwave...
Yeah, Cliffjumper. They're not bringing him back from his decapitated zombie form. He's dead. (Sadly) he's staying dead. It was a flashback.
Now, that doesn't mean he wont show up in modern times of Transformers Prime. But we'll have to wait and see.
Yeah, it worked for Airachnid (who also first showed up in a flashback), so Shocky could still come in the present. ;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Fri May 11, 2012 4:49 pm

perceptor wrote:

Yeah, I said hopefully it's not JUST a flashback
"I laid low your warriors of old! I instill terror in the hearts of men! I AM KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN!"
Wing Saber

Return to Transformers News