Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

1:1 Scale Replica Pre-Order: TF: Beast Wars Golden Disc!

This forum is the news engine for Unicron.com. All of the topics in this forum will also show up on the main page as news posts. Registered Users can reply to topics, but not create new ones. If you are looking to help us out with a News Tip, please check out the sub-forum "News Tips & Rumors."

1:1 Scale Replica Pre-Order: TF: Beast Wars Golden Disc!

Postby CYLON (13) » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Kwe Kwe! BigBadToyStore's 'site has a pre-order up for a 1:1 scale (that's life size, folks!) replica of the Golden Disc that were mounted on the Voyager 1 space probe in the late 1970's!
Of course, to us Transformers fans, we'll always know it as the disc that Beast Wars' Dinobot valiantly died protecting. Right? No? Vermin! Joking, love ya!
The disc, which ways just under 3 lbs., is scheduled for a November release and priced at a hefty $149.99 (+$2 for collector's grade item/displayable packaging).
We'd like to point out that this replica is produced by Aritfactory and not Hasbro/Takara or their affiliates.

Head through the spacebridge, brave souls, for pics. of the original, replica and maybe a nice surprise or two!

This is the replica. Doesn't look too shabby, right? I wouldn't mind having this on my wall as both a NASA and Beast Wars fan!
BBTS.Com wrote:Product Number: ARF10008
Shipping Weight: 2.80 pounds

Some info. on the originals:
If you didn't know, the Voyager space probes were launched in the late 70's by the U.S. government. The probes are meant to collect data through the year 2020 (2025, if we're lucky), and hopefully teach us what lies beyond our solar system. The probes are traveling near the outer-rim, close to our sun, and NASA is hopeful to break on through our solar system's boundaries to learn the magic that may await humanity on the other side.
SmithsonianMag.Com wrote:...The “Golden Record” would be an upgrade to Pioneer’s plaques. Mounted on Voyager 1 and Voyager 2, twin probes launched in 1977, the two copies of the record would serve as time capsules and transmit much more information about life on Earth should extraterrestrials find it.

NASA approved the idea. So then it became a question of what should be on the record. What are humanity’s greatest hits? Curating the record’s contents was a gargantuan task, and one that fell to a team including the Sagans, Drake, author Ann Druyan, artist Jon Lomberg and Ferris, an esteemed science writer who was a friend of Sagan’s and a contributing editor to Rolling Stone...

...The [original] Golden Record consists of 115 analog-encoded photographs, greetings in 55 languages, a 12-minute montage of sounds on Earth and 90 minutes of music...

(the original)

Transformers: Beast Wars - Ep. 2.09 - "Code Of Hero"
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Re: 1:1 Scale Replica Pre-Order: TF: Beast Wars Golden Disc!

Postby Liegeprimus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:29 pm

so.... does it play?
Liegeprimus

Postby CYLON (13) » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Yes, it plays all your childhood favorites! :P

Seriously, I dunno. I doubt it...just a replica. Probably not. Still cool on different levels, though.
CYLON (13)

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:50 am

Nice paperweight. :P

Too rich for my blood.

I'm happy with these.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:29 am

would be nice to have alas i am broke at the momment :cry:
ironrod prime

Postby CYLON (13) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Sabrblade wrote:...I'm happy with these.

Yeah, those would be cool for my action figures. Unfortunately, those are long sold out.
These are life-size. Totally different.

I personally would love to own one of these. Maybe someday, not today...but someday.
CYLON (13)

Postby Liegeprimus » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:16 pm

ok i have another question.... is it a plaque? the website that you order it from says it is... i would prefer it not be stuck to some crappy plaque and be just the golden disc itself.... anybody know the answer?
Liegeprimus

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Liegeprimus wrote:ok i have another question.... is it a plaque? the website that you order it from says it is... i would prefer it not be stuck to some crappy plaque and be just the golden disc itself.... anybody know the answer?
Wait, you thought this would actually contain all the recordings of the original authentic disc?

Yeeeeah, no.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Liegeprimus » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:18 pm

lol there is nothing wrong with hoping. just like i really hope its the disk itself... not mounted on anything.
Liegeprimus

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:02 pm

im sure the disk is removable consider the plaque lik a display stand
ironrod prime

Next

Return to Transformers News