Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Transformers Character List

This forum is the news engine for Unicron.com. All of the topics in this forum will also show up on the main page as news posts. Registered Users can reply to topics, but not create new ones. If you are looking to help us out with a News Tip, please check out the sub-forum "News Tips & Rumors."

Transformers Character List

Postby blukis » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:51 am

Here at Unicron.com, we take organization seriously. To drive many areas of the site (and, really, to keep ourselves from going insane) we keep a massive database to catalog every Transformer ever made. You've seen our extensive toy pages organized by year, and series. (Year links on the right of our main page, if you missed it!) Now, we've created a whole new way to browse our extensive toy pages - by name.

Check out our all new Transformers Character List, a dynamic list of every Transformers (toy) character name, ever.

Ever wondered how many Transformers character names have ever been made as (US) toys?
To date, a whopping 769.
How many character names with more than 1 toy made? A cool 328.
Characters with 10 or more toys? Easy. 41 (so far).

From there, you can check out all the toys produced with a certain character name.

Have you ever wanted to see...
All the Silverbolt toys side-by-side? Here are all 10.
Grimlock? All 20, right here.
Megatron toys? That's right, 85!
...and topping out the charts, Optimus Prime, at an astounding 141 toys.

We hope you enjoy our new list. We sure had fun making it (many years in the making)! We'll keep a more permanent home for it below the year links on our main page.
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Re: Transformers Character List

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:51 am

Nice, but some names are misspelled (like "Airrazor", "Break Down", and "Lazerbeak") and some are missing (like "Airachnid" and "Medix", and many of the partner Mini-Cons).

And some of the Real Gear Robots are missing part of their names (like Booster X10 is missing his "X10", and Night Beat 7 is missing his "7").

And, this may be just me, but I don't see the need for all the parenthetical names since this is about the physical toy products rather than the characters they represent.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby CYLON (13) » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:47 pm

141?!? Wow! Optimus is more popular than I ever thought! :o

Sabrblade knows his stuff! Impressive. :D

As far as the character/toy representations, for someone like myself that didn't keep up with the action figure releases in between favored shows...it's really helpful.
Y'know, you want to be as in-the-know as the cool cats. I think it's really cool. Kudos to the Bros. for what must've been such a tedious task. *applause, applause, applause*

Thanks, bruddas! :)
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Postby blukis » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Sabrblade - Thanks for the spelling catches. I will correct them soon. (I was hoping this list would instigate these sorts of corrections!)

To a few of your points:

- As for "Booster X10", "Night Beat 7", etc. There is some license taken with what part of the product (toy) name is the actual character on Cybertron. For example, "Cybertron Defense Hot Shot" would obviously not call himself that if filling out a census form on Cybertron. "Autobot Ratchet" is obviously just "Ratchet" the rest are adjectives to describe the name, not part of the name.

Perhaps more controversially, we assume "Prowl2" the Robots In Disguise spychanger is actually called "Prowl", and that "2" is a descriptor rather than part of the proper noun. Likewise with "Booster X10". We're taking the "X10" as an adjective, like "Elite Guard" in "Elite Guard Bumblebee". (Curious to hear other opinions on this!)

- As for the parentheticals, when Hasbro uses a new Trademarked name as a universal drop-in for an old lost one, we use the actual name on the product, but link it to the original. e.g. it lists Bluestreak (2) and Silverstreak (4), but the Bluestreak page lists all 6 together. This happens for the Skyfire/Jetfire's, etc. but also names that only differ by white space. Not necessarily the same "character" (as you're right, this isn't about characters at all), but they're meant to be thought of as the same name.

- Regarding the missing names, there is always be some catching-up to do with the recent (this year) names. Bear with us!
blukis
Site Admin

Postby blukis » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:10 pm

And thanks for the kudos, Cylon13!
blukis
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:27 pm

The link you posted for Megatron also leads to the Grimlock page
Wing Saber

Postby blukis » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Wing Saber wrote:The link you posted for Megatron also leads to the Grimlock page

Oops - fixed!
blukis
Site Admin

Postby blukis » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Sabrblade wrote:...and some are missing (like "Airachnid" and "Medix", and many of the partner Mini-Cons).

I'm curious if you could help me with the missing Mini-Con names (say, pre-2012). I actually tried to be thorough with those.
blukis
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:38 am

blukis wrote:To a few of your points:

- As for "Booster X10", "Night Beat 7", etc. There is some license taken with what part of the product (toy) name is the actual character on Cybertron. For example, "Cybertron Defense Hot Shot" would obviously not call himself that if filling out a census form on Cybertron. "Autobot Ratchet" is obviously just "Ratchet" the rest are adjectives to describe the name, not part of the name.

Perhaps more controversially, we assume "Prowl2" the Robots In Disguise spychanger is actually called "Prowl", and that "2" is a descriptor rather than part of the proper noun. Likewise with "Booster X10". We're taking the "X10" as an adjective, like "Elite Guard" in "Elite Guard Bumblebee". (Curious to hear other opinions on this!)

- As for the parentheticals, when Hasbro uses a new Trademarked name as a universal drop-in for an old lost one, we use the actual name on the product, but link it to the original. e.g. it lists Bluestreak (2) and Silverstreak (4), but the Bluestreak page lists all 6 together. This happens for the Skyfire/Jetfire's, etc. but also names that only differ by white space. Not necessarily the same "character" (as you're right, this isn't about characters at all), but they're meant to be thought of as the same name.
Well, let me ask you this. Is this meant to be a list of the toy names or the character names?

As for the Real Gear Robots, the backstory for these guys is that they were never Cybertronians. They were all originally handheld devices given life on Earth by the AllSpark. As such, they all have tech gadget-sounding names to differentiate them from the main line figure characters. Even the Japanese versions gave them gizmo-sounding names. Booster X10 is named "Booster X10", Night Beat 7 is named "Night Beat 7", etc.

Regarding "Prowl 2", the Binaltech fiction expanded on the idea of this name with it being applied to an actual individual who was not the real G1 Prowl but a hybrid between his consciousness and Chip Chase. As this entity, he assumed the name "Prowl 2".

Likewise, a similar case exists in RiD Mirage GT, in which the Binaltech fiction also expanded upon and created the "Genetronic Translink System" (or "GT System" for short), which enables one Transformer to habitate multiple bodies at once, thus being more than one self at a time. Thus, we get "Smokescreen GT" existing as both the same guy as and his own bot from the original Smokescreen.

And to really throw something awkward-sounding in, there's the Japanese character "Galaxy Shuttle" who has no differing English name, so if he were to be eventually included, his name would sound no less awkward than any of the above.

Regarding your "Cybertron Defense" and "Elite Guard" examples, those would indeed be adjectives rather than names. But, if this is meant to be for the names of the toys, then they count as a part of the toy's name. But, if this is about characters' names, then they do not. What we have here seems like mostly toy names with being of a character-aimed mishmash worked it, thus feeling a little disoriented.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Return to Transformers News