Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Panel Highlights from MTMTE Author James Roberts

This forum is the news engine for Unicron.com. All of the topics in this forum will also show up on the main page as news posts. Registered Users can reply to topics, but not create new ones. If you are looking to help us out with a News Tip, please check out the sub-forum "News Tips & Rumors."

Panel Highlights from MTMTE Author James Roberts

Postby perceptor » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Yesterday marked the release of issue 19 from IDW Comics' ongoing series, Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye (MTMTE), and what a eye opening whopper of a story it was! To commemorate, we have put together a compilation of video highlights from MTMTE master story writer, James Roberts. (It's available in crystal clear HD, so if your internet speed can keep up, turn up the rez and enjoy!)

Mr. Roberts made his North American convention debut last weekend at TFCon and he had a lot of interesting things to say. It's obvious he puts a lot of thought into his writing and the fact that he has been a life-long, die-hard fan of Transformers shows in his work. Topics of discussion include:
* Important elements of good Transformers story-telling
* How and why he developed the cast of MTMTE the way he did
* Developing Transformers Classics UK -collected works in TPB
* ...on the subject of "female" Transformers
* and how TF:MTMTE ongoing came into being...

On through the space bridge to check it out and share your thoughts...

Attachments
mtmte19.jpeg
mtmte19.jpeg (21.7 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
DSC01286.JPG
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Re: Panel Highlights from MTMTE Author James Roberts

Postby perceptor » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:36 pm

I must admit, this was one of the most memorable and enjoyable Transformers panels I've seen at any Transformers convention in quite a few years.

In contrast to when, for example, you have a voice actor panel, they'll often say things like, "Sorry, I don't remember (virtually anything!) It's been so long (and even back then, they cared so little!) ..."

Here, the Q&A session with Roberts was entirely different. His passion and interest in Transformers story telling is obvious. You could ask a question about about some subtle observation you made in an issue two years ago, and he would instantly rattle off a whole story about it, how and why he made the decisions he did, and what that character was thinking...

Seeing him live only confirmed my opinions of him as one of the best Transformers story tellers of all time! All hail James Roberts!
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby buccinator » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:23 pm

This guy is living every fans dream! He grew up as a young fan of the original G1 stuff, start developing his own stories through fanfic, "just for fun"... Then go on to you land a dream job as head writer of his own series and become one of the hottest writers in TF comics. Super happy for him.

BTW what does Rung transform turn into? I need Milne to show him transforming so we can start a petition to have Hasbro make a toy. Want, want, want!!!
Carpe Diem
buccinator

Postby blukis » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Great vid. It's good to see JR making a show appearance. He's a fast talker!
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Postby Obsidian » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:51 am

Huh, definitely not the kind of guy I was picturing (he actually seems quite a lot cooler in the video than I had imagined). Perhaps some part of me was making a subtle assumption that someone with that kind of imagination must not completely live in reality (head in the clouds, books, or whatever), but he seems exceptionally personable. I suppose it is fairly evident from the richness/depth of the charters in his writing that he's got a very keen awareness of interpersonal dynamics. Keep up the good work James Roberts, great to see him at one of the Cons!
-Obsidian
(Unicron.com)
Obsidian
Site Admin

Postby PTaros » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:54 am

Love those characters, love that story, love that comic, love that man! I seriously hope that they keep him writing on Transformers for, well, forever. Dang, what an awesome writer!
PTaros

Postby perceptor » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:53 pm

blukis wrote:Great vid. It's good to see JR making a show appearance. He's a fast talker!

Yes, he does talk fast. It's an interesting phenomenon actually.
Again, it's just a total contrast to when you listen to voice actors. They are usually, grasping for words. Primarily, because they don't have much to say. They get up at these panels and they're always wondering what to talk about. Half the time they barely can remember playing the character in the studio... JRoberts, is the opposite. He's just so into it, so invested into the development of the story. Fans would ask questions and he'd usually have a lot of interesting stuff to say on these topics, so much so that'd he often end by saying, "oh goodness, I better cut this short so there's time for some other questions! Super fun.
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby buccinator » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Obsidian wrote:Huh, definitely not the kind of guy I was picturing (he actually seems quite a lot cooler in the video than I had imagined). Perhaps some part of me was making a subtle assumption that someone with that kind of imagination must not completely live in reality (head in the clouds, books, or whatever), but he seems exceptionally personable. I suppose it is fairly evident from the richness/depth of the charters in his writing that he's got a very keen awareness of interpersonal dynamics. Keep up the good work James Roberts, great to see him at one of the Cons!

He's not what I pictured either. Transformers comic writer that's that good, shouldn't look like that cool of a dude!
Carpe Diem
buccinator

Return to Transformers News