Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Age of Extinction Optimus Prime, Gallery, Review & More!

This forum is the news engine for Unicron.com. All of the topics in this forum will also show up on the main page as news posts. Registered Users can reply to topics, but not create new ones. If you are looking to help us out with a News Tip, please check out the sub-forum "News Tips & Rumors."

Age of Extinction Optimus Prime, Gallery, Review & More!

Postby perceptor » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:57 pm

As advertised, the Transformers toy line are a radical departure from what fan/collectors have come to expect from a higher price-point toy. Check out the 2014 TransformersSection where you will find a comprehensive updates including all new character page for First Edition, Age of Extinction Optimus Prime, which include:
* High resolution photo gallery, with comparison photos of the toy next to Takara's "Buster Prime."
* Instructions scans, where you can see all 15 steps (really I'd call it 8 steps) involved in the transformation!
* Package art scans, notice the third image w/ background shows drawings of other dinobots, including a 5 horned penta-ceratops! (I guess a 3 horned triceratops just wasn't Michael Bay enough for the animators! :)
* Video Review, by a member of Hasbro's "target market," an 8 year old boy! See what he thinks of the new style!
* Images of AoE OP from the new Super Bowl ad.

Attachments
1stedop1.jpg
1stedop2.jpg
ops.jpg
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Re: Age of Extinction Optimus Prime, Gallery, Review & More!

Postby Agent X » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:20 pm

perceptor wrote: * Package art scans, notice the third image w/ background shows drawings of other dinobots, including a 5 horned penta-ceratops! (I guess a 3 horned triceratops just wasn't Michael Bay enough for the animators! :)

(Putting on professional hat)
I'm assuming you are calling the two tusks coming off the lower jaw horns, of which case you are wrong.
Ceratopsidae are classified by the shield shape, number of horns, and horn shape.

As such the ceratopsidae shown in the image is still classified as a triceratops, based on all the above criteria.
Furthermore perntaceratops is also a real ceratopsidae, which has a completely different shield shape and only 3 of the horns face forward. Two small horns are located below the shield and face backwards.

Lesson: Do research before you make a science joke.
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby perceptor » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:52 am

Agent X wrote:(Putting on professional hat)
I'm assuming you are calling the two tusks coming off the lower jaw horns, of which case you are wrong.
Ceratopsidae are classified by the shield shape, number of horns, and horn shape.

As such the ceratopsidae shown in the image is still classified as a triceratops, based on all the above criteria.
Furthermore perntaceratops is also a real ceratopsidae, which has a completely different shield shape and only 3 of the horns face forward. Two small horns are located below the shield and face backwards.

Lesson: Do research before you make a science joke.

?!

I just made up the "Pentaceratops" (in what was apparently a failed attempt to crack a joke, since you appear not to have taken it that way...) because that 5 horned thing looked so unnatural to me.

Incidentally I don't think my instinct steered me wrong. There are no known members of the Ceratopsidae family which have horns projecting from the mandible, which would be as anatomically incorrect as a two-headed Pterosaur, we saw in the Super Bowl ad.

By the way, whatever those things are jutting out of the mandible, they're not tusks. Tusks are modified teeth. Those things are projecting from the side of the jaw, if that actually existed, they would technically be considered horns also.

Anyway, moving right along, hoping this conversation can progress onto the actual topic at hand: the first in this new series of "fewer steps to transform" transformers... AoE Optimus Prime.
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby BumblebeeDOTM » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:50 pm

I'm not so bothered by this simplification of the mainline of Age of Extinction figures since I went back and looked at the list of figures being produced this year that was leaked last year. Apparently it was a line of Age of Extinction figures released under the Generations banner, so I'm assuming that they won't be simplified, like the rest of the Generations figures. I'm sure most of you already knew this, of course. This is me just typing my realization.
BumblebeeDOTM

Postby buccinator » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Just got mine too. Actually the look on that kid's face when he tries to snap the truck's rear cab pieces into the torso of Optimus sums it up for me. Look, I don't object to Hasbro attempting easier transformations, as long as they're FUN. As I look at this toy, I don't think the goal of designers was to make the transformation more fun. Their goal was to make a big toy, more cheaply. As much money as Hasbro must've saved having so many fewer parts, I wish they could've made the paint aps better or given the robot more joints (like wrists, a head that can look up, etc...)

The thing is, toy's transformation sequence isn't particularly fun for me. OP's robot torso just floats in the middle of the truck and then you have to spend time trying to align it up just perfect so those back of the cab panels can snap in they way they're supposed to. (and use a decent amount of force to get it snapped into place.) And for some reason the top of the cab always wants to pop out on mine... Is this a problem on your toy too? It's a big shellformer, that I just force into place...

Mine is a mixed review. It's not all bad. The chromed parts look particularly good for movie esthetic toys. and the tires are almost, kinda rubber... Having fewer parts also means a lot more clean lines when it's transformed into truck mode (fewer seams)... Also nice.

It's not a bad toy, it's just that for $60 I expect a lot more.
Carpe Diem
buccinator

Postby Black Starscream » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm liking his chest alot for some reason. Anyway it's I don't have the figure (and I definately don't plan on paying the 60 for this version) but from the pics you guys have posted for this toys page lead me to the following conclusions: the truck mode looks beautiful. It just works really well. The feet have their own joints, which should give some hope that the figures won't lack posability, but on the other hand I'm not seeing movable wrists. The legs are sort of bothering me, and the backpack really does stick out a bit (it's not too bad but it's still really noticable). However the smokestacks on the back are nice.
What I want to know from you guys then, is how are you finding the posability?
I'll also say this: I came upon tis site during Energon, not long after Armada got me hooked onto TF. I would come here for the toy pages, and one thing that sort of stands out is that whereas now all the pictures are in viewable galleries, the old style had both cartoon and toy pictures along the page, and I sorta liked that better since it felt like a true character page. Just my thoughts on that
Black Starscream

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm just gonna say that while there may or may not be a ceratopsid with horns like that there is atleast one ceratopside member with five horns.
ironrod prime

Return to Transformers News