Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

AoE Grimlocks - Galleries and Talk!

This forum is the news engine for Unicron.com. All of the topics in this forum will also show up on the main page as news posts. Registered Users can reply to topics, but not create new ones. If you are looking to help us out with a News Tip, please check out the sub-forum "News Tips & Rumors."

AoE Grimlocks - Galleries and Talk!

Postby perceptor » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:52 pm

The Age of Extinction Section of 2014 Transformers has been updated with several galleries of different Age of Extinction Grimlock toys. Starting with the Leader Class, the previously released Voyager, One-Step-Changer Grimlock, and Flip-and-Change. All that's missing (no new image gallery yet) is the Stomp-n-Chomp super-sized toy coming later this fall.

So, here's what I want to know. Now that these toys are just starting to hit toy store shelves:
a.) If you bought only one, which one did you get and why? OR
b.) If you bought multiple versions, which one do you like the best??
- - Inquiring minds want to know!
Attachments
leader.jpg
flipchange.jpg
voyager.jpg
1stepG.jpg
DSC04056.JPG
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Re: AoE Grimlocks - Galleries and Talk!

Postby SigmaCore » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:49 am

I'm still on the fence on getting either the voyager or leader-sized version of Grimlock. The Dinobots are the only figures from this series I just can't pass up and I'd like to keep everybody relatively in scale with one another. Still, my wallet will make the final decision I believe. :/
SigmaCore

Postby Lynaxx Pax » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:25 pm

SigmaCore wrote:I'm still on the fence on getting either the voyager or leader-sized version of Grimlock. The Dinobots are the only figures from this series I just can't pass up and I'd like to keep everybody relatively in scale with one another. Still, my wallet will make the final decision I believe. :/

The voyager is more in scale.
But u would really pass on hound?
Lynaxx Pax

Postby SigmaCore » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Lynaxx Pax wrote:The voyager is more in scale.

Well, it's official then: Imma gettin' me a Voyager Grimlock ah am! :grin:

Lynaxx Pax wrote:But u would really pass on hound?

Yup. I've loved Hound as a character since G1, but this version of him just screams "Bulkhead" to much for me. 'Sides, I've never been a fan of the Movie-line toys aside from the odd repaint from another line like Fracture or Big Daddy, the four Dinobot-themed Mini-Cons from the last movie's line and one or two actual Bayformers like Hubcap and Highbrow.
SigmaCore

Postby buccinator » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:55 am

This is actually a really interesting question; because I had a hard time figuring out which of these Grimlock toys I liked the best. Actually, I have a theory about my two favorites, the Voyager and Leader class toys.

I'd be willing to bet that these two toys were developed by two totally different teams. The team that designed the Voyager started with the T-rex which looks fantastic, the the robot feels like an afterthought. It's that the t-rex is more anatomically accurate shape/sculpt and proportional to what I'd want an robotic t-rex to be. Unfortunately the bot mode just doesn't thrill me to the same extent. The arms/waist seem really skinny and the overall chest/head sculpt doesn't convey strength/power or have the same, 'wow factor' as the Leader class version.

Whereas with the Leader class figure, I feel like the designers started with bot mode, which is spectacularly b@d@$$ - Of course, we've only seen a glimpse of Grimlock in bot mode as of yet. So we don't have much of an idea what he looks like in the film, but I hope it's just like this! And then the t-rex mode has several things I wish were different/better. Like the upper torso of the t-rex seems elongated and flattened, almost alligator-like. The beast head also seems too small, relative to the rest of the toy, and the beast-mode-legs just look like backward robot arms (which they are) - not jointed the way they should be. and are - on the Voyager class version. It took me some getting used to.

As for scale, they both work. In T-rex mode the leader class version actually doesn't seem that much bigger, and either one looks great next to the rest of the deluxe dinobot team. - And based on the glimpses we've seen so far, I'm thinking what I'm going to be longing for in time is voyager/leader class versions of everyone else (Slug, Strafe, Scorn etc...)

All things considered, and with much deliberation... I think it's the Leader Class version I like the best - and will call the definitive version (for now). Although the t-rex mode is not perfect, my gripes are not major ones. The flattened t-rex upper torso might not be anatomically accurate, but it accommodates any of the 5+ AoE OPs better if OP is getting a ride. The vacuum metalized chrome looks AMAZING in both modes and really helps all that techno detailing pop. It's probably also the best paint job we've seen from Hasbro to represent Michael Bay's ALL-steel-grey look, he gives so many characters. (We still don't have even a halfway decent representation of any of the Movie Megatrons...) And it's the almost excessive amount of yellow-gold on the voyager, (which he clearly looks nothing like in the film) that I don't care for.

- I had high hopes for the "TRU Platinum version" of the Voyager toy. The paint aps on the bot look SO much better. Sadly, what they did was simply sacrifice some of the paint detailing on the t-rex mode in order to make the bot look better... UGH. Buyer beware on this. If you're buying it just so you have a better colored version of the Voyager Grimlock, I'd warn you not to buy. Yeah the bot looks a little better, but the t-rex doesn't. Hopefully Hasbro (or Takara) will keep trying and we'll get a nice colored version of the voyager toy... If/when that happens, I reserve the right to change my mind, but for now it's the Leader toy which claims the title of "KING!" - at least, for now.
Carpe Diem
buccinator

Postby buccinator » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:00 am

SigmaCore wrote:
Lynaxx Pax wrote:The voyager is more in scale.

hm, yeah. I'm not sure I agree with that.

Lynaxx Pax wrote:But u would really pass on hound?

Yup. I've loved Hound as a character since G1, but this version of him just screams "Bulkhead" to much for me. 'Sides, I've never been a fan of the Movie-line toys aside from the odd repaint from another line like Fracture or Big Daddy, the four Dinobot-themed Mini-Cons from the last movie's line and one or two actual Bayformers like Hubcap and Highbrow.

Especially after we see that scene where Bumblebee is playin' some music and he and Bulkhea- er I mean "Hound" are dancing away... That scene just screams Bumblebee and Bulkhead. He certainly is nothing like the G1 Hound I grew up with, and would've GREATLY preferred they had given him Bulkhead name. That said NO WAY am I passing up on the Hound toy. Looks awesome and I can't wait to find it!
Carpe Diem
buccinator

Return to Transformers News